Fly Tying
flytire

Thats a big gator!

People paddle kayaks in those waters? I'd be nervous in a sixteen foot boat.

That is big. 

Too bad they took pictures and had it documented, now it can never grow any bigger.

Rookie fisherman mistake.  

They had to kill it to take it.... Yes, that's a big one (and the longer they live - the bigger they get...).  From what I've learned, a big bull 'gator will attack a small craft -but mostly this is a mating season deal... The big bulls will set up in small lagoons or potholes and vigorously defend them while drawing females for mating.   Any possible rival will be attacked  on sight in those conditions...   Nice to know he's not trying to eat you while destroying your skiff.... 

Stay away from big 'gators (bigger than 8 feet) - they're just plain dangerous animals...  They can outrun you on the ground, and can actually propel themselves six feet and higher from the water... I once witnessed a ten footer take a great blue heron that was standing on top of a seawall - four feet off the water.  The 'gator was less than twenty feet from me at the time - and I never knew it was there until I heard that heron squawk - then saw the 'gator slide back into the water - with bird sticking out both sides of his jaws...

2 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

and the longer they live - the bigger they get...

Yeah, sure.  To be clear, I was trying to make a joke, not commenting on the ethics of killing the gator.  

7 hours ago, niveker said:

Yeah, sure.  To be clear, I was trying to make a joke, not commenting on the ethics of killing the gator.  

Cool…

I have spoken out many times in the past on different and am in the minority on all of them. 99% of animals that have ever existed are extinct. It would please me if all of those higher up the food chain joined them. Gators, Crocs, Grizzlies, Brown Bears, Lions and tigers Oh My. If you can't stand the thought of them being lost think of the friend of yours who just got ripped apart by one of these creatures. "Course I'm sure the world could do well without venomous snakes, mosquitoes and Covid Virus so it ain't just big things we could do fine without. Gator and croc hunters are my heroes. I had seriously thought about a trip to Mike Chell country to fish the exotics in channels that would be easy access on a walker for me but when I read that it has become necessary to land your fish quickly because the splashing around creates a sound crocs have learned to associate with an easy meal right in front of you I decided to go fish for bass and kill any water moccassin I see.

Where I guide there are both 'gators and crocs - but our crocs stay in salt or brackish areas (like the boat ramp down at Flamingo where I'll be tomorrow morning with clients..). The 'gator can be in both fresh and brackish areas, at times even in pure salt water areas (in summer when it rains every day... ).  Of the two -the 'gator is the dangerous one in my area... The American saltwater crocodile is a fish eater - mostly..  The 'gator will eat anything and when they get big anything includes people... Here's a pic of one of the crocs that hang around the ramps I use when I'm down at Flamingo...

eAZ9cn4.jpg

The crocs  I see most days will come after any fish you hook - but they''re not interested in you... at all......  Everywhere else in the world you find them  -they' re maneaters... Along the coast of the 'glades they've got so much fish that they are never a problem for people..

23 hours ago, flytire said:

I've killed my share of stuff, but I really hate it when people act like they're the hero and conquered something. In my mine, it's not about that at all. Have some humility dude, I don't care who you are. Climb down off that thing now.

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I've killed my share of stuff, but I really hate it when people act like they're the hero and conquered something. In my mine, it's not about that at all. Have some humility dude, I don't care who you are. Climb down off that thing now.

I’ve got to agree with you. I am by no means against the legal hunting of game but the hero shot makes me want to puke. It’s not only disrespectful and callous but it’s great fodder for the anti hunting crowd to use against the mature hunters amongst us. A little maturity is in order. I for one would never do business with a company that markets themselves in this manner. 

22 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I’ve got to agree with you. I am by no means against the legal hunting of game but the hero shot makes me want to puke. It’s not only disrespectful and callous but it’s great fodder for the anti hunting crowd to use against the mature hunters amongst us. A little maturity is in order. I for one would never do business with a company that markets themselves in this manner. 

You and I differ a little bit, in that I am a little more forgiving on pictures taken with fish or game, I don't call them all "Hero shots". I just don't care much for the ones with a lot of blood or people sitting and stepping on the animal. It's about memories to me, I can look at the pictures and memories of the experience come back, or I can show friends. but I don't have to put the animal in a head lock. But, I am with you.

Since you're talking about hero shots, I know it's silly but I hate seeing the guys holding their fish or their game with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. I honestly don't care if you smoke. It's legal and it's your lungs but damn it just ruins a lot of fine pictures.