Fly Tying
Gene L

A 4wt 7.5' Lamiglass rod

I wrapped this up about 4-5 years ago.  The wraps to me look gray but everyone else say it looks lavender.  I must be color blind.  

glass 2.jpg

lamiglass.jpg

Very nice... years and years ago (before "graphite" came along) I built a number of rods using Lamiglass blanks (only one of them a fly rod though..).  They were first rate blanks every time - whether I was building up a surf rod or a light spinning rod for bonefish...

That is a sweet rod - I've always wanted to build a Lamiglas fly rod and now you've got me thinking about it again. :)

As for the wraps, I can see that they are gray, but I can also see that the yellow blank somehow makes them look lavender. Either way, it's a very pretty rod. 

Beautiful work Gene!  I see Lavender as well, but IMO there really not far from gray either.  I'm not familiar with "Lamiglass" is it the same or related to fiberglass?  

Like Sage and others it grew up in Washington state -all those years ago back when fiberglass was the only material around unless you could afford split bamboo… They also started making graphite blanks in the later seventies (like every other outfit- some more successful than others)

It looks lavender on my screen. Very nice rod, I'd love to give it a cast or two. 

Is Lamiglas still making the honey blanks or is that old stock that you picked up?

I don't know.  They were about 5 years ago.

Edit: I checked and they still make the honey colored blanks at 7.5 4 wt.  But they're currently sold out.  At about $160

Beautiful rod Gene!  

It is always interesting to me when what was old is new again.  Over the past few years there has been a significant resurgence in fiberglass fly rod popularity, and now you can buy one from around $80 at Cabelas, to $800 for a Scott, and probably even more for a classy custom build like Gene's.  I have an Orvis 7'6" 3 wt for beaver ponds and tight quarters on little willow-choked creeks.  And somewhere in the basement is an old white Shakespeare Wonderod that I've had for many years - it harassed many a bluegill in my previous life in Florida over 40 years ago.  

Regards,  

“Despite what the rod manufacturers want you to think a Great Rod 20 years ago is still a great rod today”.  I’m not sure who said that but IMO it’s true.