Fly Tying
flytire

January Flies From the Vise

1 minute ago, niveker said:

Thanks Poopdeck, one loop around the butts before tying onto the hook.

AH HA! Nice tip!

Durham-Ranger-1080.jpg

Durham Ranger

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tail - Golden pheasant tippet barbs
Butt - Peacock herl
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Dubbed with red lamb's wool
Hackle - Scarlet red tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wings - Two golden pheasant tippet feathers tied together on edge over the body
Cheeks - Jungle cock eyes or substitute

This is a popular steelhead version of an Atlantic salmon fly.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art

Still messing around with hackle stackers. The thorax is a little large on this one but overall I did a lot of testing and learned a few things. First thing I learned is that a gallows tool is a total gimmick and unnecessary. The most important thing I learned is paraloops are way easier to accomplish with 4lb mono , 3/0 uni thread or hands down unquestionably the best………Spanflex. The thinner threads like 8/0 Uni and 70 UTC and smaller tended to cut the hackle stem and the loop was harder to control with the finger. The stretchy spanflex was far easier to control while wrapping the hackle, the hackle wrapped better around the spanflex and the soft spanflex did not cut through the hackle stem. I tried it with a number of different hackles and none of the stems broke. There is little waste with the spanflex and you can get many flies from a single length of spanflex. Better yet, I bought spanflex for leg material and hate it as a leg material. Looks like it’s now paraloop post material and the two packs of spanflex I have will be a lifetime supply of paraloop posts. I will keep working on dialing it in as long as it stays cold outside.

Hook - Size 12 emerger

Thread - 8/0 Olive Uni

Shuck - Antron sparkle dubbing, hares ear color

Body - PMD colored turkey biot

Hackle - Dun on a spanflex loop

Thorax - UV peacock herl

IMG_8451.jpeg

Wooly Bugger variant
Hook: Mustad streamer size 2

tail: marabou and Krystal flash

body: holo polar chenille

IMG_1612.jpeg

First day tying today, and excited to do more. Started easy with a handful of zebra midges.

Hook: Size 18

Thread: Size 6/0 Black and Red

Head: Tungsten bead 2.0mm Silver and Gold

Rib: Silver and Copper

Thorax: Pecock hurl

20240121_151900.jpg

20240121_172901.jpg

ICE

spent the weekend waiting for ice, not enough to safely fish on or way too early for my loved ice out trolling. spending time at the vise to replenish my early season trolling boxes.

Quabbin smelt hook-Mustad 94720, body - silver tinsel with pearl mylar piping over, throat white bucktail, wing- gray saddles over pink saddles on top with peacock herl and lavender bucktail under, silver pheasant cheeks with 3d eyes.

qsmelt.JPG

Gray ghost

hook- Mustad 94720, tag- silver tinsel, body- orange floss with silver tinsel rib, throat- white bucktail under peacock herl, wing- gray saddles over golden pheasant crests, cheek silver pheasant with jungle cock nails and short golden pheasant crest under

gghost.JPG

white smelt

hook- Mustad 94720, tag- silver tinsel, tail- red hackle fibers, body- silver tinsel, wing- white saddles with white hackle collar, cheeks- jungle cock nails

whitesmelt.JPG

Wobbler (orange) tied 9-3 style

hook(s) Mustad 9674S with 30# braid trailer loop, thread orange, body - front 1/2 weighted with lead free wire covered with silver body braid, wing two orange saddles tied flat wing stye over sparse bucktail pillow and two orange saddles tied upright, hackle- orange hackle folded and tied collar style, trailer hook with frayed body braid.

owobbler.JPG

red & white bucktail

hook- Mustad 94720, body- lead free wire with silver tinsel and earl mylar piping over and left long for tail, wing- peacock herl over red and white bucktail, 3d eyes uv glued in place 

red&white.JPG

Witch's tit a local streamer pattern for dark days

hook- Mustad 94720, tail- red wool yarn, body- black wool with silver tinsel rib, throat- red wool yarn, wing- black bear

witcht.JPG

1 hour ago, TKenneth said:

handful of zebra midges

Pretty darn good for day one. Welcome to the site