• Body: Ringneck Pheasant Center Tails - Golden Yellow
  • Ribbing: UTC Ultra Wire - Small - copper
  • Thorax: Ice Dub - Pheasant Tail
  • Hot Spot: Ice Dub - UV Shrimp Pink
  • Wing Case: Thin Skin - Brown/Black
  • Legs: CDL Hen Saddle - Brown Speckled

IMG_0373.jpeg

4 hours ago, johnnyquahog said:

Bruce - beautiful work as always.  Reminds me of some of the Mike George or that guy from Italy (Fabrizio ??) sculptures.

question if you got a second.  The first picture shows the fly in the vise secured by the very end of the shank with the hair stacked all the way to the rear. The third picture is a great shot of the hook connected to the shank.  How did you attach the hook once the bug was complete?  I’m thinking the 4th photo is a belly weight?

thanks

The hook is the first thing I-slide on, followed by one 3/16 bead, once fly is completely trimmed you countersink another bead 1/3rd forward from base, then uv over it. I noticed you can’t see the hook but it’s there, off to the side

Ruz-Du 1080.JPG

Ruz-Du

Hook - Mustad Heritage

Thread - Black

Body - Rear half orange thread, front half black thread

Hackle - Black hen

Fishing Flies - Malcolm Greenhalgh & Jason Smalley

Two squirmy wormy patterns. A friend of ours on this forum asked me to explain how I control squirmy wormies so they lie correctly on a fly. Here are the flies. The SBSs for them are in the SBS Sub-Forum.

20240121_215216.jpg

A chartreuse 'gill bug

20240121_220307.jpg

Squirmy San-Jaun worm.

Alaska Mary Ann variation

Alaska-Mary-Ann.jpg

Hook: #6

Thread: White, 6/0

Tail: Red hackle fibers

Rib: Silver tinsel

Body: Polar bear underfur*

Thread: Black, 6/0

Wing: Polar bear

Eyes: JC 

* Originally white, tan, or, cream floss.  I'm not actually sure what the original was, but I have seen recipe's that call for these three colors. Over on the Global FlyFisher site I saw this pattern tied with a dubbed body of white rabbit, I really liked the look, so I went with this as it was already out.   Doesn't really show here, but I tied red hackle fiber along the shank of the hook, thinking it might show through the dubbed body in the water.

Moody-Blue-1080.jpg

Moody Blue

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tag - Blue floss
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Rear - Black floss, Front - Blue dubbing
Hackle - Blue & purple mixed, tied as long soft collar

Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Pattern Encyclopedia

Island-West-Coast-Hornet-1080.jpg

Island West Coast Hornet

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tag - Gold oval tinsel
Butt - Green floss or uni stretch
Body - Black yarn or floss
Rib - Yellow micro chenille
Throat - Mallard flank dyed green
Wing - Yellow calf tail over which is chartreuse calf tail or deer hair
Collar - Green hackle

"Tying Atlantic Salmon and Spey Flies, Island West Coast Hornet, , Fly Angler's OnLine "

The Premiere OnLine Magazine for the Fly Fishing Enthusiast. Online chat room, articles and solid informational content. Your Online Fly Fishing Tool!
www.flyanglersonline.com

Alaska Mary Ann 1080.JPG

Alaska Mary Ann Bucktail
Tail - Red hackle fibers
Body - Ivory or light tan silk floss
Rib - Medium flat silver tinsel (optional)
Wing - White polar bear
Cheek - Jungle cock

Attributed to Frank Dufresne

Streamers & Bucktails - Joseph D Bates Jr

13 hours ago, niveker said:

I'm not actually sure what the original was

as dressed by originator black thread, red hackle fiber or hair tail, dressed rather full ivory or light tan silk body, silver tinsel rib optional, white polar bear wing extending to end of tail, jungle cock cheeks tied short. from streamer fly tying & fishing (Bates) to imitate Kobuk Eskimo fishing hook made from ivory dressed with polar bear and a red corner from the mouth of the guillemot bird. Frank Dufresne, originator named it when he said ""Man this catches them all; the whole Mary Ann of 'em,"

Thanks @CP.  Bit of a storied history, from what I can gather, even from the originator himself.  Which is understandable given the time period of the 20s and 30s in the Alaskan bush. 

IMG_2194.thumb.jpeg.db0a10e7db656625ff380f74a1845d06.jpegI tried the Alaska Mary Ann with polar bear underfur as dubbing. I was interested to see what it would look like when wet thinking the hook might show through even.  Above is dry, below is wet.  It worked well but I don’t think it will get down in the water as well as the silk body version.  IMG_2195.thumb.jpeg.279a926e8250feb5d53e509578664386.jpeg

On 1/22/2024 at 6:54 PM, Mark Knapp said:

Two squirmy wormy patterns. A friend of ours on this forum asked me to explain how I control squirmy wormies so they lie correctly on a fly. 

Hey Mark, I use super glue all the time on squirmy wormies with no ill effects. I use it on the actual stuff sold as squirmy wormy material as well as  similar stuff clipped from toy balls and whatnot. Not sure if brand makes a difference but I use Gorilla glue superglue. For tails and such I heat up my bodkin and melt a channel in the worm that I place over a thread base with super glue. I like this way because the worm lays in line with the hook. The super glue holds it firmly in place with only a few loose wraps of thread for piece of mind. You can see me stretching the worm. The worm would break before peeling off the hook even with no thread wraps. 

IMG_8455.jpeg

IMG_8456.jpeg

IMG_8454.jpeg

IMG_8453.jpeg

IMG_8452.jpeg

IMG_8457.jpeg