Black Paradise

Hooks - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tip - Lower half, oval gold tinsel; the upper half, fluorescent orange floss
Tail - Scarlet red hackle barbs
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel wrapped over both butt and body
Butt - Blue floss
Body - Dubbed with black lamb's wool
Hackle - Grizzly tied on as a collar and tied back and down; then a small bunch of guinea fowl barbs tied in at the throat
Wing - Dyed black squirrel tail tied low over the body
Cheeks - Dyed kingfisher blue hen hackle tip tied in at each side

Charles DeFeo of New York City originated this pattern. DeFeo created literally hundreds of Atlantic salmon fly patterns, and some believe that he laid the foundation for our contemporary hair-wing patterns.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

11 hours ago, Bruce Derington said:

Saw this pattern somewhere

Outstanding as usual

IMG_5472.thumb.jpeg.84ede32ab580a3c99109291176541f82.jpeg

Bubble back fly

hook

tan sewing thread

Animal fiber for tail

tan dubbing 

animal fiber in dubbing loop for hackle, I think it is rabbit

One crystal faceted bead

Easu-1080.jpg

Esau

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tail - Light yellow calf tail
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel over the dubbed portion of the body
Body - Rear half, flat silver tinsel; the front half, dubbed with claret lamb's wool
Hackle - Claret hen hackle barbs tied in at the throat, with black hen hackle barbs tied in front
Wing - Dark brown calf tail tied low over the body, with an overwing of light-yellow calf tail

Blue-Lady-1080.jpg

Blue Lady

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tail - Yellow calf tail tied short
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Dubbed with black lamb's wool
Hackle - Blue tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wing - Dyed blue gray squirrel tail tied low over the body
Cheeks - Jungle cock eyes or substitute

IMG_5482.thumb.jpeg.4080214bc382245dd806b450c64e5898.jpeg

IMG_5484.thumb.jpeg.f5ff66e269a58595017e052609f6d41d.jpeg

under UV light

IMG_5483.thumb.jpeg.231b9c15f49cde87facab6ceb7fe0af9.jpeg

glow in the dark (too dark to focus, but you can see the glow)  

Green Eyed Monster    tied held in fingers

hook

white sewing thread

Body: Lion Brand Glow in the dark chenille yarn, white (new product, first use)

Spiral wrap for body: iridescent scrubby yarn

One green bead

I threaded the green bead right onto the scrubby yarn

Before assembling, make sure the bead and fibers selected glows under UV light.  All materials are synthetic, with the scrubby yarn literally meant to be crocheted or knitted into pads to scrub nonstick pans, so it’s really tough stuff.

Golden-Hope-1080.jpg

Golden Hope

Hook - Single salmon
Tip - Fine gold wire
Tail - Golden pheasant crest feather
Butt - Fine black chenille
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Fluorescent orange floss
Wing - Red pine squirrel tail tied low over the body
Hackle - Furnace tied on as a collar and tied back

My take on the Montana Nymph- 

MONTANA NYMPH VARIANT

HOOK: #12 3XL CURVED

THREAD: #70 BLACK

TAIL: MARABOU BLACK

ABDOMEN/BODY: PHEASANT TAIL - BLACK

RIB: OVAL TINSEL - SILVER

WING CASE: SCHLAPPEN FIBERS – BLACK, U.V. RESIN

THORAX: 50/50 MIX CHARTRUESE AND GREEN ICE DUBBING

LEGS: SCHLAPPEN FIBERS - BLACK

HEAD: U.V. RESIN  

image.png.4b730825bc83bf24ae8007337e43ee76.png

IMG_0543.thumb.JPG.bb46f46d4a0cf954caa166d2dc8b23df.JPG

On 1/6/2024 at 12:48 AM, LisaLou said:

Gene, I tie holding the hook pinched in my fingers, usually my right thumb and ring finger to start.  I use the tip of my middle finger to pinch the thread or feather down on top of the hook shank, to do the stop. But then I switch which hand is holding the hook and applying the thread, and I’ll hold the hook at the eye instead of the barbed end, whatever makes it easier.  I’d make a video, but I know my technique is still sloppy and I’d have to bleep out all the swearing.  
I am fairly ambidextrous and I’ve only used my vise a couple of times.  I’m finding I like to instantly reposition the hook and switch hands, so I’m  not really using my hand vise much anymore.

I see jokes here about sausage fingers, but anyone tying a fly has better than average dexterity.  Everyone here has artistic hands.  LisaLou

Lisa do you ever use a standard vise or do you always tie with the hook in your hand?  

Dean

Green-Plume-1080.jpg

Green Plume

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Red
Tip - Flat silver tinsel
Tail - Golden pheasant tippet barbs
Butt - Insect green ostrich herl or substitute
Body - Fluorescent green floss, with a joint of insect green ostrich herl (or substitute) tied in at the front
Hackle - Grizzly hen hackle barbs tied in at the throat
Wing - Dyed green gray squirrel tail tied low over the body

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

My take on the Montana Nymph- 

MONTANA NYMPH VARIANT

HOOK: #12 3XL CURVED

THREAD: #70 BLACK

TAIL: MARABOU BLACK

ABDOMEN/BODY: PHEASANT TAIL - BLACK

RIB: OVAL TINSEL - SILVER

WING CASE: SCHLAPPEN FIBERS – BLACK, U.V. RESIN

THORAX: 50/50 MIX CHARTRUESE AND GREEN ICE DUBBING

LEGS: SCHLAPPEN FIBERS - BLACK

HEAD: U.V. RESIN  

image.png.4b730825bc83bf24ae8007337e43ee76.png

IMG_0543.thumb.JPG.bb46f46d4a0cf954caa166d2dc8b23df.JPG

I like it, but I think this is a case where it is a whole new pattern. Name it and sell it to one of the big fly companies. 

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

Lisa do you ever use a standard vise or do you always tie with the hook in your hand?  

Dean

I do have an old Universal Number 1 rotating vise clamped to my desk I asked for help with.  I am pretty sure it is pressure fitted and have shimmed it tight with heavy fishing line because silicone seemed to drag too much.  I have made a few hook and a few tube flies on it, using the crimped part of a straightened out Bobby pin as a tube pin. (Find appropriate sized Bobby pin and crush off the tip coating to see if it fits in the tube.  Then straighten to make it easier to work with.  Break off right before the bend and file the break and tip clean to not scar your jaws and tube.  the crimping will have to be flattened down a little, especially the tip.  You can adjust crimp to put pressure on the tube to hold it in place.)

I also made a small vise that clips to my fingers and that works good for either tube or hook and posted pictures in my intro.  But I have been holding the hook in my fingers lately.
 I made a woven fly a few days ago with my desk vise.  I thought, this is great!  It’s so much easier!  I need to use this thing!  Then I went right back to holding the hook again and just don’t want to use the vise.  
 I asked the forum what makes a good vise, but no vise is ever going to match how fast I can flip my hand around.  I’m used to holding my work and the controlling thread with my left which does all the work controlling thread tension and flipping thread over the tip of the tool.  The right does relatively nothing just holding the crochet hook or tatting needle, which is normal for a right handed person, which I am.  But with the right hand doing so little and the left doing all the work, I’ve become very ambidexous over the years.  I always held the fork and aimed a weapon left handed, but wrote and cut paper right.  Playing hockey as a kid is when I figured out I aimed better playing lefty. 

it just feels so awkward to have something rigidly holding the fly for me.  I’m sure what I’m doing looks awkward to someone watching me and I know if is easier to use a vise, and I’d probably be a lot neater.  But it just doesn’t feel right.  I don’t use a bobbin holder and hold the thread with my fingertips.  I use a bead keep the thread from unspooling.  I rarely remember to use the hackle pliers, either.  I’m too focused on trying to do what I’m doing, to pick up other tool.  I’ve got to make friends with the vise and tools I got, first.  I’m going to start following patterns for weaving flies, because I think that will force me to get used to using a vise and not just do my own thing making simple flies.  But I also would like to start  a forum thread for tying in hand tips and tricks.  I really enjoy the process and will probably always prefer it over sitting upright at a vise.  I can lounge in my recliner with my feet up and tie a fly.  That’s what I call relaxation.  I am very much a beginner at fly tying, but I’ve been manipulating thread and yarn by hand for over forty years now, so I’m trying to meld my muscle memory into this hobby.  I also find winding the thread toward myself as done in crochet far easier, though I’m trying to wind away more often, as recommended.  Sorry for the long answer, but it’s complicated because of many years of doing thread work and I probably should have been left-handed from the start, not right.   LisaLou 

15 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

I do have an old Universal Number 1 rotating vise clamped to my desk I asked for help with.  I am pretty sure it is pressure fitted and have shimmed it tight with heavy fishing line because silicone seemed to drag too much.  I have made a few hook and a few tube flies on it, using the crimped part of a straightened out Bobby pin as a tube pin. (Find appropriate sized Bobby pin and crush off the tip coating to see if it fits in the tube.  Then straighten to make it easier to work with.  Break off right before the bend and file the break and tip clean to not scar your jaws and tube.  the crimping will have to be flattened down a little, especially the tip.  You can adjust crimp to put pressure on the tube to hold it in place.)

I also made a small vise that clips to my fingers and that works good for either tube or hook and posted pictures in my intro.  But I have been holding the hook in my fingers lately.
 I made a woven fly a few days ago with my desk vise.  I thought, this is great!  It’s so much easier!  I need to use this thing!  Then I went right back to holding the hook again and just don’t want to use the vise.  
 I asked the forum what makes a good vise, but no vise is ever going to match how fast I can flip my hand around.  I’m used to holding my work and the controlling thread with my left which does all the work controlling thread tension and flipping thread over the tip of the tool.  The right does relatively nothing just holding the crochet hook or tatting needle, which is normal for a right handed person, which I am.  But with the right hand doing so little and the left doing all the work, I’ve become very ambidexous over the years.  I always held the fork and aimed a weapon left handed, but wrote and cut paper right.  Playing hockey as a kid is when I figured out I aimed better playing lefty. 

it just feels so awkward to have something rigidly holding the fly for me.  I’m sure what I’m doing looks awkward to someone watching me and I know if is easier to use a vise, and I’d probably be a lot neater.  But it just doesn’t feel right.  I don’t use a bobbin holder and hold the thread with my fingertips.  I use a bead keep the thread from unspooling.  I rarely remember to use the hackle pliers, either.  I’m too focused on trying to do what I’m doing, to pick up other tool.  I’ve got to make friends with the vise and tools I got, first.  I’m going to start following patterns for weaving flies, because I think that will force me to get used to using a vise and not just do my own thing making simple flies.  But I also would like to start  a forum thread for tying in hand tips and tricks.  I really enjoy the process and will probably always prefer it over sitting upright at a vise.  I can lounge in my recliner with my feet up and tie a fly.  That’s what I call relaxation.  I am very much a beginner at fly tying, but I’ve been manipulating thread and yarn by hand for over forty years now, so I’m trying to meld my muscle memory into this hobby.  I also find winding the thread toward myself as done in crochet far easier, though I’m trying to wind away more often, as recommended.  Sorry for the long answer, but it’s complicated because of many years of doing thread work and I probably should have been left-handed from the start, not right.   LisaLou 

Carrie Stevens and Lee Wulff never used a tying vise.  I read somewhere that there is an annual competition to try to replicate Carrie Stevens flies without using a vise.  

At 55:11 in movie "Lost world of Mr. Hardy" there is a great scene with a former Hardy tier tying an Atlantic Salmon fly by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIJ8YorFnMM&list=PL-x7IXRms3aXWSjxKfCsFp6CqTUdr740W&index=2