Fly Tying
flytire

January Flies From the Vise

IMG_5325.thumb.jpeg.dfaff02cd715c34338d21ee4527e6a01.jpeg
Ridgeback fly

tied holding hook with fingers, almost in fingers a couple of times.

Hook

Black upholstery sewing thread (nylon heavy duty Coats & Clark) 

feather

SH hard as nails 

alternating half hitch knots, needle tatting style down spine.

Edited by LisaLou
Edited for grammar error

1 hour ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

Finished my last five SMB flies for next year. 3 Tequeelys and 2 Tequeely variants. 
IMG_1822.jpeg

Nice, I'm going to make some.

13 hours ago, LisaLou said:

needle tatting style down spine

Not sure what this means... But the effect is nice. On the upper sac they might call that an LBS fly.

SIMPLE MIDGE LARVA

HOOK: #16 CURVED UP EYE

THREAD: 8/0 BLACK OR RED

UNDER BODY: THREAD

ABDOMEN/BODY: HARELINE MICRO TUBING - RED

THORAX: MOLE SKIN DUBBING – BROWN OR BLACK

HEAD: THREAD

BLACK.thumb.JPG.e51d706d4215a5ae031b8036ba471274.JPG

RED.JPG.d20c60b021ab6b8af2b672fa8bfe2f27.JPG

IMG_0486.thumb.JPG.6eb15977fe35ecec89e21a19c31048b5.JPG

Scuds and other larve.  I hoping to get out on the ice at some point this season and I tied up some bugs to use for panfish.  IMG_2069.thumb.jpeg.4419f5a63921b28eccad2c56cfaf675f.jpeg

17 hours ago, LisaLou said:

Ridgeback fly

LL if you get the chance to discover George Grant's work on woven flies you will be a natural. Keep at it I expect you will really enjoy and not struggle with the dark side of woven flies.

36 minutes ago, cphubert said:

LL if you get the chance to discover George Grant's work on woven flies you will be a natural. Keep at it I expect you will really enjoy and not struggle with the dark side of woven flies.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Using simple embroidery yarn and plastic or aluminum forms you can create a wide variety of profiles. 

Woven Body Stonefly:

1718037757_WovenbodyStonefly.jpg.d34a6386a4d85012aa5dea88a4f76fc4.jpg

Woven Body Dragonfly Nymph:

293726830_Wovenbodydragonflynymph.jpg.81200ca93569031fe21fd4094c9056a9.jpg

2 hours ago, Chasing_Tails said:

I was going to suggest the same thing. Using simple embroidery yarn and plastic or aluminum forms you can create a wide variety of profiles. 

Woven Body Stonefly:

1718037757_WovenbodyStonefly.jpg.d34a6386a4d85012aa5dea88a4f76fc4.jpg

Woven Body Dragonfly Nymph:

293726830_Wovenbodydragonflynymph.jpg.81200ca93569031fe21fd4094c9056a9.jpg

Beauty

Thank you everyone.  I did find out about George Grant here on this forum a day or so ago.  There is a weaving book on Amazon kindle, if you have that service.  It’s by the Gretchen and Al Beatty the art of the Weave.  I can read some kindle books for free and this is one of them!  They use Grants techniques and I am qoing to get hard paper copies of those books, plus one on glass beads I found out about on this forum.  I have just glanced at the Beattie’s book last night and need to sit down and read it, but have family visiting all day.  I will post a separate thread on some of the techniques from needlework I am using later in the weekend, with some links to decent instructional videos.  Tatting is somewhat popular again after everyone needed hobbies for Covid, but is still basically unknown, or mistaken for micro macrame or crochet.  Think macrame on a thread scale.  I love thread and knotting so fly tying is perfect for me.  Thank again, LL

Crazy,i watched an at random Oliver Edwards vid a few weeks ago and finally figured out some basic woven fly techniques,There are dozens of great YT  tyers but i always found his to be the best and just so relaxing to watch him tie.Before my local fly shop closed 15 years ago ,he had a Polish immigrant lady who tyed the most beautiful woven flies in his shop.You had to get on a waiting list for them.Now i am becoming quite addicted to these methods.I am far from good yet but am giving it some effort.It is fun and i believe some of these bugs will work for my fishing.I love tying but in the end they must also catch a fish.The woven stone and dragon nymphs are stunning and i believe they will catch fish.I know they will.

38 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

Thank you everyone.  I did find out about George Grant here on this forum a day or so ago.  There is a weaving book on Amazon kindle, if you have that service.  It’s by the Gretchen and Al Beatty the art of the Weave.  I can read some kindle books for free and this is one of them!  They use Grants techniques and I am qoing to get hard paper copies of those books, plus one on glass beads I found out about on this forum.  I have just glanced at the Beattie’s book last night and need to sit down and read it, but have family visiting all day.  I will post a separate thread on some of the techniques from needlework I am using later in the weekend, with some links to decent instructional videos.  Tatting is somewhat popular again after everyone needed hobbies for Covid, but is still basically unknown, or mistaken for micro macrame or crochet.  Think macrame on a thread scale.  I love thread and knotting so fly tying is perfect for me.  Thank again, LL

I bought and have read the Beatty's book on weaving. I found several of the description hard to follow.  An extra photo or two would have helped in these cases.  If you are really interested in a particular weave I recommend you search on it and compare writeups with those of the Beatty's.  There are generally better ones out there. One of the Beatty's writeups, the Houdini Weave,  just starts wrong. so definitely search for the originator's videos.

IMG_5382.thumb.jpeg.d1431df3b65cb3e11cda9741a6f1b4fc.jpeg

Beaded Fly  inspired by forum here.  Tied in-hand

Size 6 octopus hook

size 6 AB crystal (AB=aurora borealis iridescent finish, common bead term)

Metallic silver thread Coats & Clark 

red feather

SH hard as nails hardener

I made the head first, oversized and jammed the first bead on, then went around the outside to wind a few times behind the bead.  I then put on two beads and fed the feather in from the back, quill first through the two beads.  I left some feather out for the tail. The feather inside the two beads gives the body a red tint.  I tied the feather down behind the first bead and made the hackle and tied it down and snipped the excess feather off.  I then did some wraps down around the beads to the tail and back up again with the nearly invisible silver thread.  I did some half hitches behind the hackle to tie off.  (The metallic thread was not the best for whip finish, the metal wanted to bunch up and slide down the core, instead of sliding under the wraps)  I put a little nail polish on a toothpick and touched the thread by head and tail. 
LisaLou

Edited by LisaLou
Grammar