Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Oh my

You sure Steve didn't build it and it's only 2' long?

47 minutes ago, Lesg said:

You sure Steve didn't build it and it's only 2' long?

😂

Actually I use to built real ones as well back in the day. Had a few different Blazers that had 38.5"-44" tires and 6"-12" of lift on them that I had to climb up into. I use to take this one to local car shows as well as go out muddin' on the weekends with friends back in the 90's.

omaDvjP.jpg

Steve, There were some local guys here that were into the same thing. Gee I miss those days, standing on a bank watching someone bury a truck and then everybody in the mud to help him out.

Maybe it's just me - but down here in paradise - we have our share of lifted and prettied up "monster trucks"...  Funny thing, you rarely see them all mudded up and it looks to me as though they're rarely ever off-road...  My brother up in Alaska had his own "tundra buggy" with the six foot high tires (and a pair of spare axles along with a pick and a shovel strapped to the back) - but they used that machine yearly in the field - riding sixty miles or more back into the bush for hunting expeditions where they'd establish a base camp - then hunt on foot quite a ways out and back each day... Wish he were still with us.... 

And imo pretty dangerous as well. You have zero travel in the rear suspension, and with the nose pointed up like that you prob have at least a 15-20ft blind spot out in front of you. I've always been into cars/trucks especially in my younger days, and always saw a purpose in trends. But that stance is one trend that I have just never seen any purpose in. Thankfully I hardly ever see that around these parts.

I wonder how quick it is?  maybe you can hit it and run over the deer instead of into it.  

Down here in paradise (south florida) any time I see a "gangster ride" like the one in photo that's jacked up so high in the front... I make certain assumptions about the character of anyone inside...  I'll be the first to admit that as a retired cop I'm just a tad biased of course.  In my area, though,  that's generally not a bad assumption - and that goes double for groups of young kids on souped up homemade mini-scooters.  Recent news events up north show exactly what I'm referring to while the news media hasn't a clue that those "kids on scooters" are actually young bad guys -particularly in groups.... 

Back in the day the big thing was raised rear end and dropped front. One of my friends got the idea he could drop the front end easily by just heating the the coil springs on his '57 Ford. I stood on the outside with a scale on the front bumper while he reached underneath with a torch and heated the springs. When I had him scaled at about 3" even on both sides we quit and he was happy...UNTIL HE DROVE IT. If you've ever seen a car with shocks shot in front and front end bouncing every bump this was 10 times worse. After a couple of rides with him I swore I'd never get in that car again. Sure enough a few weeks later he hit a big pothole and totally lost control and wrecked an otherwise gorgeous Ford 2 door hardtop if I remember right.

Im pretty sure that truck goes up and down in all directions and does not sit nose up full time.  If they got the time and money to do that to a truck I’m pretty sure they work hard for it and do not have any free time to play gangster. It’s exactly what me and my friends did growing up only with a different twist. Good for them.