Fly Tying
LisaLou

I pimped my vise!

I thank everyone’s suggestions for helping me fix my vise.  I tried mono line and silicone bands to fill the huge gap and wasn’t happy.  Ultimately, I pulled it apart as much as I could and put loctite on the exposed pressure thread area, jammed it tight and put more glue on the other side, then two drops of oil.  It works great now, nice and smooth, so I’ll just keep gluing it if it slips I guess.  It really annoyed me that to get inline, I had to clamp the hook so high up it impeded working on the tail area.  I don’t know if I really need true rotary, but I wasn’t going to find out that way.  I was not using my handholding vise lately and holding the hook with my fingers, so I clamped it to a tool I have for lacing rubber bands into slingshots and used that for make an extension.  It rotates inline and holds the hook tightly, plus I can take it apart no problem and use my hand vise again.  I put the slingshot tool further into the vise and put the tightening bolt though a hole in the metal slingshot tool handle, so if I loosen the jaws to adjust that angle, it will not drop to the desk.  I like the big wheel, because I can roll the vise with my wrist/forearm instead of using my hand.  I think I’m going to like it now a lot better. The colorful things are magnets.  I saw pawn magnets and i got the same thing already for holding notes.  Again, not sure if I will like them, but I can try them out.

IMG_5645.thumb.jpeg.385cae7b4158669f6d5c29be7e062070.jpeg

Since you tie in hand in thought you were going to show us some blingy nails. (All in good fun) the vise looks cool,  nice job!

Careful, or you'll get a cease and desist letter from Renzetti! 

👍👍👍

I really have no choice but to get used to a vise, now that I have a puppy in the house.  He is full of energy and jumps on my lap, whether my lap is available or not.  I am very fearful of getting jolted and dropping a hook, so my fly tying was at a standstill for a few days, while I tried to get my vise to operate better.  Sometimes I can feel a slight “chatter” so it’s not rock solid smooth, but way better than it was.

mostly I wanted to show that you can a little more working space with some simple mods.  Even if my vise did not rotate, I would much prefer the cut out area to work. I am ordering some midge jaws to add into the mix, also.   LL