Fly Tying
flytire

Okay, where do you hide a 200 foot radio tower

“Jasper Mayor David O’Mary told NBC News on Thursday. "At this point, we are still lacking information that we have to have to conduct a full-fledged investigation."

Huh. I guess they also need to know where a 200’ antenna can be hidden before they can conduct a full-fledge investigation. 

Has a radio tower ever been repossessed? 

Most likely it was chopped up and sold for scrap (and the scrap value of the metal was probably a good bit of money...).  Down here in paradise, years ago during the crack cocaine troubles, thieves were even taking aluminum lamp poles along busy urban freeways to sell for scrap.  One guy I knew back then reported that he caught a crack cocaine zombie actually trying to remove one of the aluminum storm shutters off of his house - while he was at home... Glad I'm years out of police work - the desperation of addicts will be hard for anyone to come face to face with in that line of work (understatement...).

I'm thinking a slightly obsessed Ham radio guy?  Given the publicity of the story selling it for crap value is going to be tough.  A few years ago some guys got popped trying to scrap man hole lids.  The night before it was all over the news to watch out for open man holes. 

Wait a minute, the original story had a picture of a beautiful red and white tower that was structurally impressive and well maintained. The new article has a picture of a rusted little piece of poop. A crappy little steel tower like pictured in the 2nd article has a scrap value of maybe $150.00  bucks. Scrap metal thief’s steal copper and more valuable metals. They generally don't waste their time with steel because you need tons and tons of it and a way to transport it. I’m going with an ex-wife. 

Always a possibility that the thief - is in-house as well… As you can guess,  I’ll never be allowed on any jury…

Properly dismantling a radio tower requires specialized skill, equipment and time. Especially one that old where all of the sections are probably rusted together. My guess is they just removed the guy wires and toppled it over, then cut it up for scrap.