Fly Tying
vicrider

When you make the "sucker" list

I have in the past donated to a few of funds that I felt were good funding programs for good purposes. I found out that this puts you on a list that is then used to raise more funds by selling your name and address to other groups seeking funding. In the last week or so I have gotten these solicitations from groups asking for funds. It is out of hand and I wash my hands of giving to any of them anymore. I cannot help them all and have a couple I still send to but know they sell my name to others. Here is groups after my funds...

Humane Society -- Feed the Hungry -- Ukraine Refugees -- Wounded Warriors -- Deputy Sheriffs -- AARP Foundation -- Jewish Widows in Israel -- Disabled Vets -- Trout Unlimited -- United Service Organization -- Mutual of Omaha Ins. -- Triple A Auto Ins. -- Bassmaster -- Boys Town -- Easter Seals -- OK Public TV -- Appalachian Children -- Jackets for kids -- Cheyenne Area Police -- 

Now I'm sure all of these put our help to good use but I'm slowing becoming one of those needing help if inflation continues to eat away at our S.S. checks, our only source of income is the monthly checks which definitely don't keep up with inflation.

There are too many people in the world.  No matter how much people donate to such causes, there will always be the poor, hungry and "down-trodden".  We don't even try.  We take stuff to a local Humane Society thrift shop so they might make a few dollars off that.  Our will leaves our house and belongings to another animal rescue service.  Much better to help the animals people abandon than to help those actual people.

I agree with that perspective - take your donations directly to an organization you want to help.  That way you (might) avoid the overhead of expensive CEO and corporate overhead and infrastructure, and your donation has a better chance of helping those you intended.  For instance, the ASPCA (supposedly looking out for the animals), spends large sums of money on anti-gun/anti-hunting initiatives.   

Regards,

Also the CEO of ASPCA makes over $850,000 per year plus bonus. We support local animal rescues, also volunteer. Very rewarding.

Yep,just because they are registered as "non profit" a lot of the funds go to staff and administrators that are paid many times what the average person makes.Those TV ads are not cheap either.I give locally and anonymously if possible.I always gave to obviously disabled homeless dudes when i still worked construction in downtown Chicago.My coworkers would give me crap sometimes.I used to give one guy a couple bucks and a few smokes.I would get the "why you giving that bum money".It was 2 degrees out,the guy had no legs ,in a busted up wheel chair and i was pretty sure he would not make it thru another winter.As far as people go-who knows anymore.I think the phsycos running this planet have big plans for the future that do not include most of us.

You can look up charity ratings on Charity Navigator.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/about-us/

For example "Easter Seals" ranking depends on what Easter Seals Organization

https://www.charitynavigator.org/search?q=Easter+Seals

Here is the detail breakdown on Goodwill-Easter Seals of Minnesota, a highly rated charity

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/410706171

1 hour ago, KnottaFly said:

Also the CEO of ASPCA makes over $850,000 per year plus bonus. We support local animal rescues, also volunteer. Very rewarding.

Look to your neighbors if you wish to help and not organizations.  A CEO  pulling in almost a million a year is pathetic testimony of what a "charity" is today:   I'm certain not a single member here would have to look very far to find legitimate person that truly needs help. Help them.

24 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Look to your neighbors if you wish to help and not organizations.  A CEO  pulling in almost a million a year is pathetic testimony of what a "charity" is today:   I'm certain not a single member here would have to look very far to find legitimate person that truly needs help. Help them.

This is what I do. I use to donate to a foundation for a local serviceman killed in Iraq until I checked the CEO’s salary. Don’t get me wrong they should be paid for what they do but when the CEO starts taking a salary from donated money that allows them to buy vacation homes, I’m out. 

Since I posted this just the other day I can add - Defenders of Wildlife - American Mint (actually sales) - Christian Voters Organization - and another Boys Town.

One thing I didn't mention was the aggravation of their "Free Windbreaker or Blanket or Duffel Bag, etc. and to them FREE means SEND MONEY. If you need to meet the minimum donation they mark on the return pad then it AIN'T FREE. That particular con game aggravates the hell out of me and should really be illegal as false advertisement. I feel a little better now knowing I'm not the only one who has grown calloused toward all the charitable organizations. In the same vein of high salaries for top brass is the game of getting some outfit like a fire dep't or police officers union to sell the right to a third party to sell tickets to concerts and other events in their name. Third party makes a killing and the outfit giving their name to be used gets pennies on the dollar of the actual funds generated.