Fly Tying
john1962

Hooks can be overwhelming

So as a beginner things really get overwhelming on certain items, hooks are 1 of them.

So my thoughts are

Tmc 100 for short bodied wet flys 

Daiichi 1560 for soft hackle flys

For the following flys

1. California mosquito 

2. Soft hackle wet flys

3. Black gnat

4. BH Soft hackle

What do you guys think.

All thoughts are truly appreciated 

Tightlines

4 minutes ago, Fruitrollup said:

Both are solid choices for barbed hooks.  Have you considered barbless hooks?  

When I first started to ty my own flys I bought a Paar of dr. slick barb removal pliers. I only ever fished with barbs, 😂 should done more research. But that's OK, size 16-18 I will buy barbless then.

Tightlines

TMC 100 is really a dry fly hook. Of course, you could use it for wet flies, it's just a light wire hook. 

Daiichi 1560 is a 1xl nymph/wet fly hook. The 1550 is standard length. I use the 1xl for most nymphs. 

Sticking with TMC and Daiichi (there are a lot of cross reference charts out there):

1. California mosquito: TMC 100, Daiichi 1100 or 1170, 1190(barbless)

2. Soft hackle wet flys: TMC 3761 0r 3769 or Daiichi 1550 or 1560

3. Black gnat: Dry see 1 above. Wet see 2 above. 

4. BH Soft hackle: TMC 3761 or Daiichi 1560

My preference is a straight eye hook rather than a down-eye hook.  When I started tying, I brought the specific hook for the pattern, but I realized I just needed a straight shank hook and a curved shank hook.  So I settled on the TMC 101 and the TMC 2488 for my trout flies.   Warm water I found I could use various non-fly fishing hooks for my patterns.  They were often cheaper than the "fly tying" hooks. 

i dumped tiemco hooks many years ago for increasingly becoming too expensive for my social security budget

mustad heritage are more friendly to my wallet and even better when on sale at jstockard

I buy almost all of my hooks now from wholesaleflycompany.com. Quality hooks, reasonably sharp right out of the package, and you can't beat their prices. 

On 3/20/2024 at 1:41 PM, john1962 said:

When I first started to ty my own flys I bought a Paar of dr. slick barb removal pliers. I only ever fished with barbs, 😂 should done more research. But that's OK, size 16-18 I will buy barbless then.

Tightlines

Crush the barbs.

If you think barbless hooks kill SIGNIFICANTLY fewer trout so that it affects the trout population, please provide the studies.

Copy and paste the links below into your browser.

On the contrary, the best summary of published and peer reviewed fisheries studies shows no population effects. Barbed flies have effect on trout populations.

Here is the best scientific study of barbed vs barbless hooks.  See pg. 72 of the Wild Trout VI Symposium. Needless to say, only the most rigorously peer reviewed and important articles are choses for the Wild Trout Symposium.

TU, The Trout and Salmon Foundation, FFF, Atlantic Salmon foundation as well as the EPA support the Wild Trout Symposium. Yet the facts continue to be ignored.

http://www.wildtroutsymposium.com/proceedings-6.pdf

Here is the full article from the Idaho Fisheries Dept:

https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.gov/FisheriesTechnicalReports/Res-Schill1997%20Barbed%20Hook%20Restrictions%20in%20Catch-and-Release%20Trout%20Fisheries--A%20Social%20Issue.pdf

https://afspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8675(1997)017<0873%3ABHRICA>2.3.CO%3B2

"For flies and lures combined, mean hooking mortality was 4.5% for barbed hooks and 4.2% for barbless hooks. Combination of test statistics from individual studies by gear type via meta-analysis yielded nonsignificant results for barbed versus barbless flies, lures, or flies and lures combined. We conclude that the use of barbed or barbless flies or lures plays no role in subsequent mortality of trout caught and released by anglers. Because natural mortality rates for wild trout in streams commonly range from 30% to 65% annually, a 0.3% mean difference in hooking mortality for the two hook types is irrelevant at the population level, even when fish are subjected to repeated capture."

Studies in an ocean fishery showed the same result.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8675(2002)022<0229:POBABH>2.0.CO;2

"In this fishery, barbless hooks probably did not reduce hooking mortality and conferred only slight benefits at the expense of reduced catches."

Studies using barbed and barbless lures (Mepps Spinners) showed no "biological advantage with the use of single- or barbless-hook spinners when caught wild stream trout will be released."

https://afspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1577/M02-171.1

However, studies on the capture efficiency of barbed vs barbless artificial flies shows that barbless flies show anglers using barbed flies land 76% of hooked fish = 13% more fish than anglers using barbless flies = 63% landed. So barbed flies land 20.6% (13/63)more fish than barbless flies.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02755947.2013.769920#.UaoBX-CkMrg

When I asked the question of using barbless hooks, I was thinking more of the fisherman than the fish.  Barbless hooks come out of your finger, ear, arm, rowing partner, clothing, net, etc… easier than barbed hooks.  That is primarily why I use them.  

11 minutes ago, Fruitrollup said:

When I asked the question of using barbless hooks, I was thinking more of the fisherman than the fish.  Barbless hooks come out of your finger, ear, arm, rowing partner, clothing, net, etc… easier than barbed hooks.  That is primarily why I use them.  

This is why I use barbless.  Some days I catch myself.  

my emergency room doctor snickered when i went in to get a barbed hook removed from my cheek and then a few weeks later from my ear. ouch