Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mcfly

Fly tying resolutions

Almost everyone has one for the start of the new year but here is a chance to set one for your fly tying.

What would your's be and why?

Me, consistency, my flies never seem to be really close in appearance. Sometimes the wings are different sizes, the hackle is a bit to large, the bodies vary in the taper. They just never seem similar enough for me. I'm going to try and focus more on material size as well as tie more to see if I'll be better this time next year.

mine is to not buy any more materials or hooks for as long as i can. i keep buying some here, some there, more hooks, I should really just use the stuff I have.

oh, this is to take affect after the Northern ohio fly tying show in 2 weeks.

also, to try more patterns on the water, I have a few favorites that get used alot. Need to try a few more of the standards, a few different patterns, etc.

also, get my dad fishing and tying more.

Joe

My tying resolution is to keep up with the new synthetics that come out this year and to use them in new and interesting ways.

My goals for the year are impoved dry flies, particularly quill bodies, parachutes and Wulff style flies.

I started today by joining the Wulff swap to put pressure on myself to practice and improve.

Married wings and full dressed flies. More Carrie Stevens style patterns and catch a trout on one.Tie more saltwater patterns. Tie shadow boxes of wet dry and new england style trout flies. Tie more realistic flies. Stock my personal fishing boxes and tie alot of local patterns for sale in the spring.

Consistency here too.

I watch the flies I tie for the swaps and I can see that consitency is what I need work in.

Does anyone else find that the first fly never looks quite like the last one?

Dave

And use more hair for hackles, etc.

This is going to be the year of the HAIRY HACKLES!!!

Also a big resolution NOTHING is going to be tied UNDER size 8. And saltwater flies for blues and stripers are my big push along with hairys.

My hats off to you folks that tie smaller than 8's.

I vow to learn more patterns then my Dad. Gees the guy ties for 3 months and he knows more then I do.

I'm not sure how I can make a resolution out of my situation and tying. I need to find the desire to tie more. I need desire to tie anything at all. I can't seem to make myself want to sit down at the vise. But that doesn't stop me from buying more materials than I'll ever use. I guess it's a good thing I have 2 more tiers in the family coming up. They won't need to buy anything. Plus... I still have 2 other grandkids to get set up. :blink:

Mike

Mine is to actually use the flies I tie...

I see a new interesting pattern, go home tie up a bunch of them and then when I go fishing I tie on a clouser...

I'm pretty sure thats the definition of a Smack-Tard.

To have my flies for fishing season tied before fishing season!

To have my Christmas flies tied by Thanksgiving! (Ornaments for my sisters)

To have my contest flies tied before Christmas!

To have my swap flies arrive before the due date!

To keep notes on the unique flies that I tie!

To post more pictures of the flies I tie! (with recipes)

To improve the the pictures of the flies I take!

To do a step by step of a fly I tie at least once this year!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Looks like I will be busy this year!

BFR

I'm not sure how I can make a resolution out of my situation and tying. I need to find the desire to tie more. I need desire to tie anything at all. I can't seem to make myself want to sit down at the vise. But that doesn't stop me from buying more materials than I'll ever use. I guess it's a good thing I have 2 more tiers in the family coming up. They won't need to buy anything. Plus... I still have 2 other grandkids to get set up. :blink:

Mike

Hang in there maddog48, mine comes and goes too.

Fly tying resolution? It's kinda complex. To tie more than 5 flies of a given pattern at one time because I want to use a smaller variety this year, but master the technique behind each fly, then, tie dozens of those flies I use most.

I think there's a resolution in there somewhere!