Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
duckydoty

Local fly shops?

Have you ever visited your local fly shop and walked out after your visit without buying a little something?

I can't seem to do it. Can't go for just a visit. I always end up spending a few dollars even when I go just to look. I guess its a bad place for me to hang out :dunno:

Duckydoty

I think I have... once, when I had no money at all on me.

I have walked out of Orvise more then once without buying anything.

There isnt a local shop here, but whenever I'm in one I try to spend atleast a few bucks unless they have an attitude. I figure if folks dont support their shop, they wont be in business very long.

Have you ever visited your local fly shop and walked out after your visit without buying a little something?

I can't seem to do it. Can't go for just a visit. I always end up spending a few dollars even when I go just to look. I guess its a bad place for me to hang out :dunno:

Duckydoty

I disagree. They are a great place to hang out , and whats afew buck to support a local buisness. :D

I think money spent at local fly shops should be tax deductable like a charitable donation to encurage people to go hang out there. They need all the help they can get. ;) Besides that you wouldn't do if you didnt enjoy it , and thats what its all about.

Have fun, Pete

I applod you guys who spend a buck or two when you visit your shop. Time is money, and the information your local shop gives you should be worth supporting it with a purchase even if it is only a dollar or two. It is very annoying to have a person come in ask a lot of questions, then walk out with just a "thankyou". A much better thank you is when they have to ring something up,almost like giving a waitress a tip. I am sure she would not be happy with a "thankyou".

I know what you mean Ducky...I am a fly shop junky. I really have a problem since it isn't even just being in a shop that causes inexplicable loss of money, but if I drive by a place and see it then I have to stop in to see the place. :crying:

The only time I walk out without spending anything is when I go looking for a certain material and they don't have it. Then I go to the next shop!

Or if it's an Orvis shop! I can walk in, look and walk out without buying anything always! :devil:

BFR

Good Day,

First, I usually only go with a purpose, and more often than not only leave with what I planned to purchase with the possible exception of a new material to try. But one of my local fly shop owners usually either gives me or charges me very little for a new material so i can try it and report back to him with my opinion. Don't ask, because I won't tell you who he is...

We only have two full service fly shops in the immediate area. Certainly some of the sport shops, big box sport retailers and few hardware stores have tying supplies, but they have woefully limited selections.

I have and do buy some things online either due to the fact that the web site is one of few, or only, who offer the item I am looking for or there is a good sale.

Yet, with all of this said, there is a certain importance in supporting your local fly shop and or any other small or independantly owned business like say your local butcher or baker. If I, you, and any others stop shopping there and give our money to others, they won't be there that much longer! Not only does the convenience of just hopping in the car to get what you want disappear but so does the customer service, and most importantly, KNOWLEDGE! I am willing to pay a few cents more for all of this and keep my local fly shop around.

Steelie

My closest fly shop is close to 2 hours away, and I usually take a bus that costs arround $30.00. So I will not leave empty handed. I usually buy more than what I came for.

I found a shop that is run by Pete in town. He sits down and shows me how to tie for local fish and how to cast to them. New materials how to use them. He's an older guy BUT he has forgot more than I will ever know. I try to buy everthing I need there for sure.

In Madison Maine is a good store Kennebec Outfitters wicked big selection and Bob Mallard will help you out with anything.

I wish I could walk out without making a purchase (incedently, so does my wife :hyst: ). However, I agree with what has been said above, time is money. I won't stand around and bs when they are busy. However, the at the two local shops the owners/ emplyees usually enjoy hanging out for a while when they are not busy. I think fly shops are a great place to just hang out, good ones seem to encourage it. The fly shops which I've been in that are not friendly, don't get much business at all. The fly shops where the owners know how to :bs: a little have customers all the time.

I dont have a local shop either, so I make a big list then forget the list, go spend a ton of money, come home and realize I now have more of some materials than I'll ever need and that I forgot half the stuff on my list......So then it's time to make a new list cause now I have to plan a trip to go back! I do wish I had a local shop when I lived in an area that I did I always stopped in to say Hi. I of coarse spent a few bucks each time cause its hard to survive in that business and if 1 fails I can rest assured it wasnt cause of me. That I know Ask my wife

Good Day,

gmaschke - eeek, the thumb! Agree, not too much there.. Grand parents recently moved back to Bad Axe to retire. Got to be tough to be fly fisher unless you fish the reeds around say Bayport or maybe one of the very few "streams".

Steelie