Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
robow7

Have I bastardized a classic?

There aint nothing new there, the bugger has been bastardized so many times. Every time a new material comes out, theres a new bugger bastard born, im just glad i dont have to pay child support on all the bastard variants out there.

Yes. I have had this conversation on another site a couple of years ago. I don't have an issue though and hey if it worked I might do the hypocritical thing and use one. :)

I thought the same thing just recently. I tied a big chartrusse bugger with lots of crystasl flash a brass cone head and the propelor. When I was done tying it I looked back and thought I'm not tying anymore of those thats one gaudy fly. But sure enough I stuck it in my salmon fly box and it caught me a lot of really silver chum this year until one got too aggresive and spooled my whole line. Definitly something all tie again.

thanks

Bead Head

You may have, but you're not the first. This is actually a pattern called a Pistol Pete, although if you go to their website (do a search for pistol pete flies), it's more of a style, putting a beadhead and spinner on various patterns of flies. I wanted to tie a few up for crappies, but haven't gotten my hands on any of the propellers yet.

Hi robow7,

They look good to me and someone has already mentioned they are similar to a Pistol Pete. If they catch fish (and I'm confident they will) then go for it. I have friends who also add a small spinner blade to some of their flies. I say, "Whatever makes you/the fish happy!" Take care & ...

Nice!!! I tied some of those earlier this year, but when I used them they twisted my tippet something feirce. Anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent that from happening?

Maybe the prop wasn't free enough to turn correctly?

If it was add a small in line swivel a few feet above the fly. You can get them in gold, blank and silver.

I like the pattern, where did you get the prop's?

Don, I found them at a local fly shop in Indy. I thought I had read one time that Whitlock felt the propeller improved his hook ups with the smallies under certain conditions. So I thought I might give it a try on some of my most proven smallmouth bugger combinations in the more stained waters. I experimented with them in a large wash tub filled with water and you definitely can't tie the bead in too close to the prop or it won't spin. I also found a slight improvement in spin frequency when I placed the prop on backwards to what I thought originally would work best.