Fly Tying

FTOTY Contest - Let the Voting Begin!!!

After three long weeks of photographing and putting everything together for the contest I am relieved to say that we are ready for the first round of voting for the 2006 FTOTY Contest. I believe that we have a great group of flies of flies this year. We had 372 flies from 73 different members this year and we had flies submitted from I believe 6 different countries.

What makes this contest unique is the fact that it is judged by the participants peers and not a panel of "experts". With that said it is up to each one of you to decide on what qualities make the best fly in each category. You may vote once per category and the software is designed so that the participants cannot vote for themselves. Voting is done in secret so nobody except for myself will ever know who voted for which fly. Also the total number of votes for each fly will not be revealed...

The winner of each category will move onto a 2nd round of voting and the winner of that round will be declared the 2006 Fly Tyer of the Year and will be awarded the custom bamboo rod built by Chris Carlin.

I appreciate everyone who participated in this year's event. Without you this contest is not possible. Best of luck to all of you.

The deadline for voting will be February 8th 9:00 PM EST. At that time I will tally the voting...

Take your time voting and have fun :yahoo:

You must be logged into FTF before the voting system will allow you to vote.

Click the following link to enter the voting booth: http://www.flytyingforum.com/?act=special&...ge=contest_vote

Wow! Wowww! Great looking flies :headbang:

What's up with the most creative catagory :bugeyes: Oh man is there a fly i want to hang on my wall :lol:

Great job everyone!

Brent

There are some awesome flies in this contest!! It was hard to decide. Hat's off to everyone that participated, and thanks Will for the great pictures and all your time put into this.

Thanks for all the hard work Will! Just looked through most of the categories and there is some really great work. I realized I'm on here too much cause I could tell who tied several of them just by the "style" they were tied.

I can't wait to see who wins :headbang:

Some great looking flies! :bugeyes: Everyone did a great job tying these up. Alot of tough decesions to make. :dunno: Will thanks for all the hard work putting this togther you did an awesome job with the pictures! :yahoo:

wow....great stuff......I need to start working on the flies for this year, I need to step it up a notch or two

Will kudos to you and thanks for putting the time in to keep this site so great

I have to say being a fairly new member here, that catagories I thought would have a lot of submissions, actually did not.....anyway I really appreciate this site and the great members

Hi Will & group,

Contestants: Great job on your entries; everyone did great!. If I could offer one suggestion: There were several flies that were incredible! Unfortunately, they had a problem with the head - waste material evident, lop-sided, or not coated with cement/nail polish/whatever. That one item cost several awesome flies a higher ranking in my selection process.

Will: Thank you for all your hard work! You had one heck of a tough job photographing/cataloging all the entries. Great contest! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Very nice work! I had to go through it all a couple of times.

Just an idea Will - what about a category next year for something like a "Fly Box" category? This would be voting on the whole collection of flies that each participant enters (probably more than one fly required). One of the things I like about this contest is that it is not a single pattern, but allows each tier to work to their strengths. This category would help show a tier's range of skills. Just an idea.

Deeky

That took way too long to do...I ended up trying to decide between too many very well tied flies on very minor details, which is not something i usually do...since I try to remember to tie for the fish, and not necessarily other tiers. Very nice flies everyone. Thank you. Will for all the work photographing the flies as well. I think next year I'm going to finally have to don the magnifying set my buddy Ron got for me (if I can remember where I stashed it), so I can improve on those details. Of course, maybe I'm just getting old...(nah, I still haven't caught up with the definition I started using at 20 (24 years ago): old is at least 10 years older than your current age!). I can still read those highway signs from an incredible distance...it's the morning newspaper that's the problem. By the time I get it far enough away so I can read it, the print's too small to read. Probably why i have reading glasses stashed everywhere.

Mark Delaney

Just done voting

great flies by everyone

great job will for photos

will have a go next year god willing

all the best

john