Fly Tying
Ribs1

Bulk Hourglass eyes for clousers?

If you are looking for maximum economy, forget the dumbell eyes and use standard split shot.

I wrap the hook with Gudebrod size A thread, pinch on the split shot (with pliers) make certain the weight center is offset to the bottom of the fly (with hook point up) and then place a drop of Super Glue Gel in the spliot shot to hook area. They are very tough and do not snag as much as the protruding hour glass eyes. If you wish to paint on or stick on eyes, the pliers flattened area on the split shot sides is perfect for this extra step.

This construction will result in exactly the same presentation and weight distribution as the hour glass eyes.

One additional step I use,,,,,, is adding a mono barb, this allows using plastic grubs on the hook.

Regards.

FK

I will be selling these flies to a shop and to clients from my guiding operation. I don't think I could get away with tying clouser minnows with split shot.

If you are looking for the hourglass eyes by the bulk, check out Lakeland Incorporated. They sell 5 different sizes with round ends or flat ends. The middle sized 5/32 are priced according to the following color: polished brass 41.50 per 1000, nickel 43.10 per thousand, gold 57.50 per thousand, black nickel 47.30 per thousand, copper 47.30 per thousand. These prices do not reflect shipping and a $1 surcharge. Hope this helps.

Kerusso

If you are looking for the hourglass eyes by the bulk, check out Lakeland Incorporated. They sell 5 different sizes with round ends or flat ends. The middle sized 5/32 are priced according to the following color: polished brass 41.50 per 1000, nickel 43.10 per thousand, gold 57.50 per thousand, black nickel 47.30 per thousand, copper 47.30 per thousand. These prices do not reflect shipping and a $1 surcharge. Hope this helps.

Kerusso

I just checked them out. Looks like great prices. I do not have a tax ID yet, do you know if these guys require it? From what I can see they will sell to anybody?

Thanks

I don't know if the Lakeland I found it the right one. It doesn't have online ordering but shows there products that can be downloaded as a pdf file. Is there a better link than that? if so, please post it!

Thanks!

Ray

Also, the Canadian Llama eyes aren't painted and look like this I believe, IPB Image

(I'm looking at the tungstens; I don't want lead.). Does anyone know a source of already painted tungsten hourglass eyes that look like these Real Eyes from Cabela's, IPB Image? The painted eyes look a lot better to me, and I really don't want to paint my own. The fish probably don't care, but I do!

Thanks,

Ray

Also, the Canadian Llama eyes aren't painted and look like this I believe, IPB Image

(I'm looking at the tungstens; I don't want lead.). Does anyone know a source of already painted tungsten hourglass eyes that look like these Real Eyes from Cabela's, IPB Image? The painted eyes look a lot better to me, and I really don't want to paint my own. The fish probably don't care, but I do!

Thanks,

Ray

well, no... BUT-

here's a tip I picked up from Alex, use a hair-comb to hold several eyes at once, and painting goes much nicer. He or whoever thought it up was a genius. Just today I painted up about 40 sets of eyes, the hardest part was waiting for each color paint to dry. I was able to shove about 20 eyes in each comb with enough left over to prop up the loaded comb for drying. I use enamel "paint pens" and wife's nail polish to do the deed. I put a base coat of white enamel on, let dry for several hours, then I dab on some kind of metallic red nail polish let dry for several hours, then a black enamel pupil from a paint pen, let the whole thing dry at least overnight, the longer the better.

I have used bass worm weights, lead bait weights that have larger openings so you can free line your bait. These tie great sculpins for getting down quickly. Problem is they do not work for clousers. I lik my own clousers very sparse and the round weights tend to ride hook point down.

Bestco Enterprises

Bestco is dedicated to bringing you among the most innovative products yet seen in the flytying marketplace. If you are a commercial fly tier, guide, own a fly shop, or sell fly tying supplies either retail or wholesale, I welcome you to this site setup to serve the ” Fly Fishing Trade.“

Bestco Enterprises is a top producer of high quality Dumbbell Eyes, Cone-Head, Bead-Heads, etc. Which are protected by either patents in effect or pending. This is one of the way in which we are able to maintain our high level of quality year after year. For the past ten (10 ) years we have supplied our product line to many of the top wholesalers, commercial tiers, and other volume users. In attempting to expand our market share we are offering to retailers, fly tiers and guides the full line of our products. Many new items which are not currently carried by wholesalers. These pieces or offered at a volume level that is more in keeping with the needs of these businesses

City North Kingstown , RI

Country USA

Phone (401) 884-3862

here's a tip I picked up from Alex, use a hair-comb to hold several eyes at once, and painting goes much nicer. He or whoever thought it up was a genius

I learned that trick here on FTF from Dble Haul.

I just got my order from The Canadian Llama Company and am quite surprised with the quality of their Eyes. I purchased the Chrome plated ones and for the money am very pleased.

post-7989-1173746105_thumb.jpg

I have used bass worm weights, lead bait weights that have larger openings so you can free line your bait. These tie great sculpins for getting down quickly. Problem is they do not work for clousers. I lik my own clousers very sparse and the round weights tend to ride hook point down.

Bestco Enterprises

Bestco is dedicated to bringing you among the most innovative products yet seen in the flytying marketplace. If you are a commercial fly tier, guide, own a fly shop, or sell fly tying supplies either retail or wholesale, I welcome you to this site setup to serve the ” Fly Fishing Trade.“

Bestco Enterprises is a top producer of high quality Dumbbell Eyes, Cone-Head, Bead-Heads, etc. Which are protected by either patents in effect or pending. This is one of the way in which we are able to maintain our high level of quality year after year. For the past ten (10 ) years we have supplied our product line to many of the top wholesalers, commercial tiers, and other volume users. In attempting to expand our market share we are offering to retailers, fly tiers and guides the full line of our products. Many new items which are not currently carried by wholesalers. These pieces or offered at a volume level that is more in keeping with the needs of these businesses

City North Kingstown , RI

Country USA

Phone (401) 884-3862

Do you have a web address for Bestco as a search on Google does not show anything.

Wapsi does sell eyes in bulk (by the thousand per size...) but they're a wholesaler (only)... Talk to your local shop owner and see if you can negotiate a purchase through them... They'll be able to add your needs to their next order - and make a profit along the way - and you should still do alright... You'll know you're in the right store if they'll let you see their Wapsi catalog....

HI Bob

I am from South Africa and own a flytying factory.

Can't order from Wapsi as they have a agent in South Africa and they only place an order twice a year.

Do you have a web address for Bestco as a search on Google does not show anything.

street address of

Bestco Enterprises

56 ELMWOOD DR

North Kingstown

Rhode Island 02852

Might get a letter delivered, or call (401) 884-3862

As a small manufacturer and wholesaler they wouldn't necessarily have a web presence. ten years gone by they may no longer be in that business.