Fly Tying
day5

Whats you vise

Choose your vise  

956 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking back over this post, I see that the most popular vise in the pole has just under 25% of the vote, then the results are scattered among 13 other brands. Its nice to see that we are keeping so many vise makers going. I am down to 3 "real" vises, and two tiny travel vises that I only use for pictures. My Thompsons went to my niece and nephew, and my Regal went to Iraq. One of the Thompsons is now on its third generation of tyers in my family. It was my dads, then mine, and now my neice has it. The origional jaws still work, but I have upgraded it with the midge jaws and converted it so the jaws are easily changed, and to a pedistal base from the Pro.

I am a Nor-Vise fan, and have had my since 1990. Just sent it back to Norm for a new jaw conversion, and a few other upgrades, with the fine jaw converison, it may turn out to be the only vise I need. I may have a couple of vises to sell in a month or so. Renzetti traveler, and a Dyna-King Sidewinder. Not sure yet, I just may keep them for classes, and to pass down.

Berny V, those are a couple of fine looking vises. I have been wondering what they were. You have some excellent metal working skills. Now you gotta start working on a retractable bobbin to go with your spinner vise.

The first vise I had was what I believed to be Cabela's starter style vise. This was given to me in July 2008, by a guy who saw me reading a fly tying book. He asked how long I had been tying flies, and I responded that I had not started tying yet. It was also going to take me a while before I could save up and buy a vise since I was only working a few hours a week while going to school. He left and came back about an hour later with a box FULL of tying supplies, and my first vise. Most of the materials were full of bugs and all dried out to be of any use, but it was still the nicest things a complete stranger has ever done for me. I owe that guy a lot (or I should curse him for starting me down the road of this obsession :) )

That vise never held hooks very well, so I decided to upgrade to a Danvise in September of 2008. I thought I would use the rotary function all the time....which I didnt. Tying bass flies were not kind to the jaws (I am sure it was also my fault for not adjusting the jaws correctly each time), and so I was now in the market for another vise.

Early this week I received my new vise, a HMH Standard (thanks to day5). Now this is a real vise, simple, elegant, and functional. Since I dont use the rotary function that often, this vise fits my bill perfectly. I doubt I will ever need another vise.

you will never need another vise.......but if you do .....lol

Dyna-King Barracuda!

Berny V, those are a couple of fine looking vises. I have been wondering what they were. You have some excellent metal working skills. Now you gotta start working on a retractable bobbin to go with your spinner vise.

Yes am working on a retractable bobbin right now and close to finish it :rolleyes:

I made a litle modif on the vice to get better control for the rotation ,it look like that :headbang:

100_1313.jpg

100_1314.jpg

Most of the time, I tie on my 720 vise. I still use my old Regal Inex both are great vises. The 720 is awesome for parachute flies.

_MG_6813.jpg

I started with a Thompson Model A. I liked it but the holding power wasn't that great. Then I tried the rotary thing but it didn't fit me. Since I liked the way the Model A worked but wanted better holding power I decided on a HMH Spartan. The Spartan is everything I wanted and needed out of a vise and is a joy to use. I have all the jaws but use the standard jaw about 90% of the time.

I have a renzetti traveler, but if I would get a norvice if I had the dough!

I have also been using these garbage knock off regals and I have been thinking of getting a real one for dry flies and other stuff I want to do fast. I find the knock offs are a lot of frustration because they will go loose and pivot around when you want it to the least. (messes with your tension etc.)

Cool thread!

SheZ

Dyna King Pro. Got it used on eBay, sent it to Dyna King for an overhaul and have a new vise. Love it!

Have my eye on a LAW though.

OK, OK, Who owns the Petitjean????? I love really tech cool stuff and want one badly, even as I harp all the time about my Dynaking. And reading back, I want to tie with Ibian, priorities I say. I think this is a bit humorous, as I also hang out on an Audiophile forum and this sounds like the endless debate on the best speakers.

Cheers, Jeff

OK, OK, Who owns the Petitjean????? I love really tech cool stuff and want one badly, even as I harp all the time about my Dynaking. And reading back, I want to tie with Ibian, priorities I say. I think this is a bit humorous, as I also hang out on an Audiophile forum and this sounds like the endless debate on the best speakers.

Cheers, Jeff

No I have not tied on one yet....... but I can get them/sell 525+shipping

I like my LAW Bench Vise almost as much as I like good beer.

One more vote for the DanVise. A true rotary that's within my price range - can't beat that!

I tie, mainly, for panfish and bass, so most of my flies range from #8 to #14 (can't tie smaller unless I use my magnifying lamp, which I hate). Haven't tried really small or large hooks yet, but plan to try some saltwater patterns - have to have something to throw with my 10wt! :rolleyes:

Well for me I started tying on the little alagator clip vice that came with the pocket guide to fly tying I got at the local ocen state job lot ( like big lots). added a small rubberband around the jaws to get a much tighter grip. Worked well but now as we speek I am tying on an old noll #20 vice i got off of ebay. though I am hopeing to get a new vice soon someone is going to lend me one for a little while. I'm not sure if I want to try the whole rotery thing but I wont know till I am more profishent at tying.