Fly Tying
Claudia

Flies from the vice.

I've been getting amped up for Sunfish and Crappies. I've been working on some small little streamers.

I found an old article in American Angler about big trout liking mini-versions of streamers. Well, I applied it to panfishing and WOW did it work. Here's one of my "Mini-Mickey Finns"

post-32910-1302758214_thumb.jpg

That's a fantastic streamer! Can I ask you what type and size of hook you used? Thanks in advance.

Glad you liked it! Here's what I used:

Hook: Size 10 short shank tube fly hook

Body: Flat silver mylar tinsel

Wing: Mixture of red and yellow bucktail

Thread: Black 6/0 Uni-Thread

For the body I coated the tinsel a couple times with that Sally Hansen clear nail polish to give it a little more shine and to hold it right where it needs to be. Then, I added the bucktail. I don't get too caught up on specialty hooks though. Most of them I tied with short shank hooks you can find in a bait store. Size 8-12 will work great. I made a lake erie shiner version of it as well with olive and white bucktail. The crappie and bass went nuts over it. Best thing is, you can do it with any of your favorite bucktail streamers.

Today I tied some soft hackle flies of my own variation. I really like the look and I like the method of tying soft hackles.

Here's what I've been up to yesterday evening and this morning.

Going to Algonquin Park soon.....I'm just stocking up!!!

Next....will be 3 dozen Stoneflies.... Come on Trout opener!!

215905_10150154810491507_515011506_7103621_4437614_n.jpg

Technically last night and not today... but some Klinkhamer style "searching" dry's.

post-24830-1303303888_thumb.jpg

Today, I did a few Ants, Los Alamos Ants to be exact. This one I call Spy vs Spy. Then I did some Foxtails, and two different Squirrel tail streamers. I call them the Pearl Squirrel, and the Copper Whopper Stopper.

Today, I saw an interesting idea on the Internet. You can see it here:

http://flytyingcontest.com/2010/03/25/wobble-fly/

Any way, I tried out a few variations. I didn't have any of the diving lips, so I cut mine out of a plastic card. The others are floating bugs.

How awesome is that? Outstanding utyer totally outstanding!

I am going fishing in the aquamarine waters and I decided I would try for colors instead of a particular fly. So some morning as the sun comes up I am going to cast this Size 2 and see what saltwater beauty will take it.

Since the waters are so clear I decided to create an outline with a black feather. Trying out the reversal for my waters here. This will be my little experiment.

Thought I would share it with you.

post-15490-1304104088_thumb.jpg

post-15490-1304104111_thumb.jpg

wish me luck.

Good looking flies, everybody. I have been stocking up on caddis patterns for the coming trout season - working my way through X-Caddis and then some EHCs.

SIMPLYRED-1-.jpg

SIMPLY RED...and, PURPLE MIDGE

HOOK: Gamakatsu C12-B, #18

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black

BEAD: 5/64 Black Nickel, (4 wraps 0.10 lead)...or Tung

ABDOMEN: Red Krystal Flash

RIB: Wapsi, Silver, xsm

THORAX: Spirit River Iridsescent dyed peacock eye, purple

A variation on the "Bloody Midge" out of BRF...different hook and thorax...for use on the East Walker River, Bridgeport, CA...

PT/TB :bugeyes:

red & black ants very simple to tie hooks gamakatsu C12FB #14 red and black 8/0 uni-thread, hackle genetic rooster

post-30121-1304197994_thumb.jpg

post-30121-1304198005_thumb.jpg

post-30121-1304198012_thumb.jpg

post-30121-1304198056_thumb.jpg

Lots of talk about photography on this forum lately, and i suck at it would love to send new work off to have its photo's taken but i don't think these flies deserve it, my first fish skulls, i thought i would tie up some size 8 pink salmon morsels, just trimmed the bunny tails a bit shorter so they are in line with the marabou otherwise here. My camera seems to make hot pink more 'red'. I think the wife can have these in her box, she seems to like the colour.

post-29540-1304273081_thumb.jpg post-29540-1304273126_thumb.jpg

FlyFishin',

Many of the digitial cameras have color correction, and there are editing programs you can get (some free,) on the Internet, that will clean up and color correct, white balance etc.

Flies look pretty good to me.