Fly Tying
TheBigLost

Whats your other job?

Okay so I'm interested.

I've met a nest of new people but we can't all tie for a living can we?

Whats your other job and is there anyone here who ties for a living (or at least partial?)

I sell real estate and I'm also a part time rock star.

http://www.myspace.com/boonebarnes

Come on....do tell

work?? most of the time i think of it as slavery... im in a fasion shop selling clothes and underwear to ladys...( if there was a smiley of a hanging man, id be using it now)

:help: Claudia

USCG HH-65 flight mechanic. I'm the guy up in the helo....

cliffopsswimmer.jpg

And I do tie on a small-scale professional level. I've got customers, and tie for a couple of shops, but I don't advertise or have business cards or anything.

I have one of the best careers. I help people smile again. I'm a dental tech . (I make dentures) It alows

me to make a difference in my community .I do alot of Pro Bono work for different religous org.s as well

as the the local chapter of the aids council and the civic outreach program.

As far as comercial tying . I've never sold a fly.

Fred

I am an automobile technician. I fix broken stuff all day long. I have never sold a fly either. I figure that if I do, it will no longer be a hobby for me. I tie because I like to, most times, not because I have to, most times.

I work in ARFF that is Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting / EMT-Defib....Also active in volunteer FD as FF and EMS...

tying never sold a fly just do for a hobby and for contest when I have the time....

My real job in perspective is I train for the worst and hope/pray to GOD it never happens....

if you wouldlike to see a photo of my fire truck go to www.BinghamtonAirport.com then go to airport info airport rescue

Mike

I'm in the movie business!

Probably the most unglamorous part of the movie business, but it's the freaking movie business.

I work for Kodak (until they let me go, which with Kodak, especially in this economy, could be any day....you never know) and do remote support for the feature movies and the preshow. Nothing fancy, but it gives me a chance to slack off and check the forums!!!

kodak.gif

I have a small fly shop and tie most of my flies.............ARGH!.........takes away from my fishin.... Did I say I was retired (ticker) and lovin it. Before that mechanic, truck driver, custom van builder, equipment operater, orvis sales, laborer, jeez i've been there done that...guess I'll keep fishin for now ;) ;)

Oh, 30+ years ago, I tied flies for a local shop (while in high school)......now I barely find the time to tie for myself......2 very active teenagers that aren't driving yet......I'm a Detective on the PD.

Mike

Information Technology. I am Director at a footwear company. I have three young kids so my tying is limited to nights with frequent interruption.

I don't have a job yet. I've never sold a fly but have traded for various rod building/flytying/fishing tools and materials.

Environmental negotiations.

Have been given money by folks at conclaves to whom I offered a fly for free and who insisted on paying for it. Which is very interesting, if you think about it. I am willing to tie and give away and they feel guilty about taking it for free so they give me money to relieve their guilt. Of course, most of the tyers I know, if given a fly by a fellow tyer, are going to return the favor -- which is sort of but not exactly the same thing.