Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i got one of the renzetti knock offs from ebay,, i freakin love it,,, just have a cheap a1 is it for tying larger bass flies

Currently I use two vises. For most of my production tying, I use a regal for it's ease of jaw adjustment. Now that you can buy a midge jaw and a magnum jaw for the regal, I think it's one of the best choices. I also use an HMH that I won several years ago. I purchased a complete set of jaws, but I do most of my salmon flies and large saltwater flies on this vise. Some day I will get a true roatary vise like a dyna king barracuda. Bill C.

I have a new Peak vise, and a bronze pedestal Regal, both of which I like very much, .

I also have an old Price (the non-rotating model) of which I am fond, and have my eye out for the rotating version, though any Price vise seems to be difficult to find now.

runcible

Well, I voted earlier with a Renzetti Travel Cam w/ pedestal. I upgraded recently to a Renzetti Presentation 4000 w/ thumb screw. What a difference an inch (or so) makes. I also really like the fact that rotation mechanics do not want to loosen up after time. Liked my Traveler -- love this Presentation. Nope, I do not miss the cam jaw one bit. The thumb screw, when used correctly, is just as simple. Also, there is less bulk around the jaws.

My primary vise is a renzetti traveler vise. I have both the base and c clamp versions as I dont have the room to keep it stationary, but my renzetti has never failed me. I got it a few years ago after my ex wife tossed out all my fly tying gear and had to start fresh. At the time I was using a vise that came in a kit that I had gotten about 10yrs earlier by my parents. I live by the motto if its not broken dont fix it. It workied fine for me, so no reason for another one. Well....then this happened. THANX SUSAN. Sometimes ya gotta love exs. If it werent for her Id still be tying on that old vise probably. Oldies are goodies, but never bad mouth a good rotary.

I started off on a Thompson A and never really had any problems with it. When I saw the Universal 2 rotary I was thrilled and bought that - it was an excellent vise and I really appreciated the rotary function. Eventually the jaws developed an irritating wobble. (I sold the vise and almost immediately regretted it... just this week I found one on ebay so I look forward to "having it back").

After the Universal 2 I saw the HMH line at LL beans and really longed for one. I couldn't justify the price of the standard but I was willing to part with 79 bucks for the Spartan. I tied on the Spartan alot and it never, ever developed any problems. The only complaint I have is that it's not really proper for bass and saltwater - the pedestal is not heavy enough and the jaws struggle with the big stainless hooks. (It is an API era model and they did not offer magnum jaws). When the Nor-vise came out I was tying alot of trout flies commercially, especially streamers, and bought one right off and used it for making bodies. It was so fast it was frightening. Eventually it slowed down considerably (wouldn't spin as fast) and also the jaw tightening became a bothersome chore. In the end, I just didn't enjoy tying on it. I longed for a Regal but wanted the true rotary function... the Renzetti never appealed to me and I found it to be overpriced. Two years ago I bought a Griffin Mongoose and a Regal Inex. I love them both. 90 percent of my flies are tied on the Mongoose, and I use the Regal for spinning deer hair (c-clamp only). The only vise I long for now is a Herters 11R rotary vise. If anyone has one to sell please contact me! Cheers, Alec

Yea, now that this thread has gone on forever, I recently added a Regal (semi)rotating pedestal model, and can say I love this thing. For so much of what I tie, true rotation is not needed and ease and speed of mounting hooks is really nice. Also the hook holding ability is so secure compared to some other vises I have used.

Just got a Renzetti saltwater traveler with both c-clamp and pedestal. :yahoo: I love the rotary action. Learned the basics on a stationary vise. Also having the manufacturer only 15 minutes away sure was a selling factor.

my old $20 thompson knock off could no longer hold hooks smaller than a 12. looked at dyna-kings, peak, and renzetti.

just got a renzetti traveller. love it love it love it. rotary vise tying is so much smoother

I have a regal, and it suits me, I have a short attention span and I like to tie alot of different flies and experiment with new patterns all the time.