Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just picked up a Griffin odyssey spider vise myself last week and it's a great vise, handles the larger hook sizes, no problems.

Mike

just got an Apex Anvil. This is the first vise I have bought that I actualy had in my hands before I purchased it. Buying from a catalog is not my prefered way to purchase tools of any kind. This is a rock solid little vise great for traveling and has the perfect range of function to match my style of tying. It was if the vise was made just for me.

Since i started tying durring an elective class when i started middle-school i had to come up with my own vise...i built my first vise (or should that be vises since they didn't last long) by glueing 2 pop-cicle sticks on either side of a third that was held up-right by what ever i had at hand. I would wrap a rubberband around the 2 sticks very tightly to hold the hook and begin tying. These were realy great for the woolyworm styles tied onto staight-pins that we shot at each-other through milk straws...like i said...middle-school. The next year i took woods class and our library got a copy of the "Curtis Creek Manifesto", so i made a vise out of antler as shown in there. But it didn't last long either when trying to torque down a very small hook. I still have the Thompson C vise that a freind of my Grand-father handed down to me when it was sitting broken on his shelf(i think it was made in the 50s?)...a couple of hours and some screeming later i managed to grind down a nail to replace one of it's cam pins and used it for years. In college i wandered into a real fly-fishing shop in Denver with my fishing pal proffesor and found one of the early Regal vises...It is still going strong after 20years of occational use. And very recently i bought a complete Norvise system from ebay after enjoying one of his auto-bobbins that some-one gave me years ago. I just can't seem to get the idea of rotating the hook... so i still like my Regal better but maybe that will change if i can get the hang of this new way of tying...I have only tied about 10 flies on the Norvise...funny how they look like those from my middle-school days and brought back those memories.

I had a Regal for awhile but it was hard for me to squeeze the jaws, specially when trying to insert a #32 hook.

I have been using a Renzetti Traveler for many years and what a vise. I still use it on occasion but my newest vise, does everything I want plus more.

I tie at allot of shows, so one thing is this Vise attracts attention. It is very functional and even if I can't suction it down the base is large enough to hold. But I can stick it to anything including my windshield when out in the field.

IPB Image

I have both sets of jaws and the streamer jaws are a hole. They hold BIG hooks better than anything I have ever used. The Midge jaws, #32 are no problem. I even make a bobbin holder out of a coat hanger so it can be a rotary vise as well. Two different flies at the same time....I love it!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I just bought a Peak vise with the gift that my company gave me for working there for 25 years.

Like many others newbies here I also started with one of those kit vises and found it Peaked my interest in tying before it was retired due to the purchase of an upgrade. I was fortunate to find a used Dyna-King - Barracuda Jr. at a reasonable price almost a year ago and am still learning new uses for the rotary/indexing capability it possesses.

I Fly-tie for the relaxation; Flyfish for the freedom; Cast to the challenge; Land if I'm so blessed and Release to re-live it ALL!

I use a Danvise, does everything I want it to. Agree with most about limited space behind the head.

Think I'll try the extension arm.

Holds big pike streamer hooks / steelhead and salmon sizes as well as size 20/22 small dries and nymphs (I dont go smaller for fear of going nuts)

I only use the pedestal base.