Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joeypm

Somerset Fly Show and bobbins

Going to Somerset fly show this friday or saturday. After checking my supplies (for what to buy its my 50birthday friday) I was wondering what bobbin everyone uses. I've broken 1 or 2 ceramic purchased at cabellas ( blue plastic with ceramic tube) and I want to purchase at least two at the show. What should I buy... ceramic but what brand do most of you like?

thanks again,

Joeypm... man im getting old!!!!

Seriously....After you tie with a nor-vise automatic for a while you find a regular bobbin is just annoying in most situations. I loved mine so much that i now have 3 of them to save me time switching the manderels. I also have his vice but am still not happy with it...i only bought it because the bobbin was so great a find that i thought the vice must be just as good...i was wrong there. But do treat your-self and try one of the bobbins.

Temico cermic boddins, the best I have used. Easy to change thread. Rite bobbins are some what a pain to change thread. If you really want to spend big money look at C & F bobbins, the people that use them love them

carlp

I have the C&F, Frank Matarelli, rite, wasatch and a Ekich Automatic Bobbin. The rite bobbin is nice, it takes a bit getting using to just the one arm and is a pain to change threads - so I just keep a roll of black on it and use it only for that. I have both the regular and midge size C&F and use mostly the midge size quite a bit although for smaller then size 18 I find it a bit too heavy. The wasatch is a midge size for pearsalls silk and I love it for traditional north country style flies. The Ekich is OK, given the price I have some buyers remorse as it needs a clutch release and the lack of that feature makes it a bit crude, though I do like the concept when used with rotary tying, its useless for tying hair bugs. If I was stranded on an island, I would like my Frank Matarelli bobbins; they aren't ceramic but I never had a problem with them breaking thread. They feel good, adjust easily, change threads quickly and are low maintenance - I have about 15 of them. I do have a TMC ceramic bobbin and treat it as an equal to the Matarelli, so short answer is that if you feel you need ceramic then get the TMC if not then find a matarelli bobbin.

I'll be at the show on Saturday, likely in a Grateful Dead tie dye.

I have Renzetti, but they are a bit of a pain to thread on the ruby tipped models. Also, I inexplicably break thread more often than I would expect, though they don't fray flat thread, so not sure what that's about. It's probably just how much pressure I am bringing to bear... I tend to feel like I'm holding back with them all the time because of it. I also have Griffin Ceramic, but find the tip too large for small flies. I have a couple of Nor-vise automatic bobbins, and a bunch of spare spools preloaded, and I love those, though it took me a little while to learn to not leave them "loaded" when I set them down. <_< I hate when my bobbin runs away! I have some no-name ceramics that are okay... and I've been considering the C&F midge bobbin. I saw Rick Takahashi tying with one, and he loves it. I like the fine ceramic tube on it, similar to the Nor-vise automatic, which is great for small stuff. I haven't used it myself yet, but I think it's like the Nor-vise bobbins... get past the price, and you'll probably like it enough to be glad you did. My Nor-vise bobbins and spools set me back more than a really nice cree cape I recently bought, so if you are still building your hackle and other supplies, you have do decide where to spend your money first... unless you have a lot more of it than I, which could very well be. :P

Joeypm... man im getting old!!!!

LOL... turned 50 last year. I think using it as an excuse to get some good stuff is a great idea!

David <><

I'll toss in another vote for the Nor-vice bobbin. The Nor-vice is a love it or hate it thing (I happen to love the vise) but the automatic bobbin is just fantastic. The extra spools are pretty reasonably priced and once you have a bunch loaded up, changing thread is not really a problem. Norm is going to be at the Somerset show, so you can probably get a chance to try it out.

I have the C&F, Frank Matarelli, rite, wasatch and a Ekich Automatic Bobbin. The rite bobbin is nice, it takes a bit getting using to just the one arm and is a pain to change threads - so I just keep a roll of black on it and use it only for that. I have both the regular and midge size C&F and use mostly the midge size quite a bit although for smaller then size 18 I find it a bit too heavy. The wasatch is a midge size for pearsalls silk and I love it for traditional north country style flies. The Ekich is OK, given the price I have some buyers remorse as it needs a clutch release and the lack of that feature makes it a bit crude, though I do like the concept when used with rotary tying, its useless for tying hair bugs. If I was stranded on an island, I would like my Frank Matarelli bobbins; they aren't ceramic but I never had a problem with them breaking thread. They feel good, adjust easily, change threads quickly and are low maintenance - I have about 15 of them. I do have a TMC ceramic bobbin and treat it as an equal to the Matarelli, so short answer is that if you feel you need ceramic then get the TMC if not then find a matarelli bobbin.

I'll be at the show on Saturday, likely in a Grateful Dead tie dye.

So Greg, are you a serious fly tyer? :hyst: