Fly Tying
neoFLYte

CyanoAcrylate Glues

This is slightly off-topic, but other than sticking little fly parts together, has anyone found any use for cyanoacrylate glues (Super Glue, Zap-a-Gap, etc.) in the "other" world... other than sticking one's fingers together if not careful?

Ooooh.. Good tip!!.. :P but do I need to take up smoking just to accomplish this fuzzy look?? Or does it need to be a "Cigarette" per-say ?? LOL -_-

Off to melt some mono.. ;) night guys and gals

Cheers,

Chris

we use it to find fingerprints, just like in the movies. the cop shop even built a snazzy plexiglas box thing to contain the vapors and get the job done.

mostly I just use it to stick hardhats to steel I-Beams and hang from them.

Quite a lot of guys in the U.K. use it for coating chironamidae bodies to give a glossy finish, Others use Sally H's instead of epoxy which is a bit to thick to do the job easily & well on smaller hooks.

I use it to help support poly-yarn wing posts when tying parachute hackles with feathers like c.d.c. amongst other similar jobs.

I always use a large quantity of mine up every year after the kids hang the ornaments......................................................

I find the CA gels a lot easier to control if you want to actually glue two things together, like eyes to flies. The regular stuff can be a full-on mess IMO and i try not to use it. One of the Dollar stores in my area sells 3 packs of the small tubes of gel for a buck so I always have a few tubes at the tying station and a few tubes in the workshop.

-D

Super glue was invented for first aid. You know how quickly it sticks your fingers together? I works just as quickly to glue a flap of skin back in place until you can get it stitched. Maybe I'm clumsy, but I keep a bottle in my vest. Patch waders in a pinch. Glue holes in my arms shut from all the f*&@)*g hawthorne trees and barbed wire...works great!

Next time you cut yourself trimming deer hair, give it a shot. It doesn't burn/sting like you might imagine, either.

Super glue was invented for first aid. You know how quickly it sticks your fingers together? I works just as quickly to glue a flap of skin back in place until you can get it stitched. Maybe I'm clumsy, but I keep a bottle in my vest. Patch waders in a pinch. Glue holes in my arms shut from all the f*&@)*g hawthorne trees and barbed wire...works great!

Next time you cut yourself trimming deer hair, give it a shot. It doesn't burn/sting like you might imagine, either.

YESSIR! thats me! one time in the wind my back cast caught me right in the wrist vein, bled like a stuck pig untill my handy dandy super glue dryed. didnt even get a bruise so musta patched my insides to haha

I have bought a lot of this stuff but haven't had any luck with it. Things that I've tried it on won't hold. But it does a very good job sticking your fingers together. I really hate the stuff, when you open the little tube it is a one use thing. Next time you try to use ,you find it is hard or gone! Can't say I have given up, probably need lessons. It is like a computer program, if you need to read the directions, the program is no good. :wallbash:

Indeed. I happen to know they use it quite a lot in neurosurgery.

I have bought a lot of this stuff but haven't had any luck with it. Things that I've tried it on won't hold. But it does a very good job sticking your fingers together. I really hate the stuff, when you open the little tube it is a one use thing. Next time you try to use ,you find it is hard or gone! Can't say I have given up, probably need lessons. It is like a computer program, if you need to read the directions, the program is no good. :wallbash:

Secret is to keep it in the fridge when not at your tying station won't get think on you or dry up.

Zap a Gap is holding pieces of my vintage camper together!

I use it to seal reel seat inserts and other turned woods before applying the final finish

I use the brush on stuff to coat thread body flies, such as the zebra midge. I've also glued skin flaps after cutting myself in the kitchen.

CA was designed to react with moisture (in the skin) in order to cure best. But most things we now stick together with it don't have any natural moisture left in them. For the best bond, moisten the pieces before you apply the glue. In woodworking, my uncle will actually lick the glue itself before sticking the pieces together. Said it feels just a little funny for a little bit - tongue won't bend and flex quite like normal. I'll take his word on it.......

Hope that helps your projects.

Deeky