Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started up this spring and only really got going after sturgeon_catcher put me onto this site. So much great information and inspiration here!

I think it is very nice,when father teach his son how to tie a fly :thumbsup:

I am tying about two years.I'm started from zero,without teacher,materials ant money,but i think the main is not to loose the trust that you can tie!

In U.S. I think is easy to start,there are many fishermans,information and material,but main is the determination :)

I hope You understand what I wanted to say :unsure:

Since 1962 or 1963 - the local RI game warden gave a couple of free classes and I've been tying ever since, except for the time I spent in rehab or running from the authorities - The same game warden also taught the local kids that the true measure of a fisherman wasn't the number of fish he brought home, but the number of fish he returned to the river. Both lessons really sunk in, not just for me, but for everybody I hung out with. That game warden was one helluva guy.

I've been tying for around 35 years, though I don't think you would ever know it by looking at what I turn out.....sigh I have a genetic disposition towards the ten thumbs on two hands. :)

I started tying about 4 years ago but then I got busy with work and my kids. My buddy Majestyja told me about the forum and kept bugging me too get into it. Long story short I hyave been a member on the forum for 2 months and have tyed more in the last two months than I ever have. Just finishing up my 7th swap and hosted my first. Thanks to all of you have encouraged me along the way, I am really diggin the forum.

Pickin :yahoo:

started by helping my old man tie streamers back in the late 1950's...i didn't appreciate lew oatman patterns because of that...

wow...do you get smarter as you age?????

I started tying when I was about 12 or 13. That was for simple bluegill/bass flies in small lakes in Texas. I'm 50 now and live in Montana (we all seem to get here sooner or later).....I dunno....too many years to think about but I'm about to get over that "beginner" feeling.

its hard to say for sure. I started when i was in my late teens(15 or so.). In my early 20's due to location and just getting married I stopped. up until roughly a yr and a half ago I hadnt really touched a vise to do any tying until then. so Im gonna be as honest as possible and say about 1 1/2yrs.

I started in 1964 or 1965 with a tying kit that was about as cheap as you could get. After a couple of weeks struggling with the junk in the kit I bought some better stuff. That was the beginning of my addiction and lots of money well spent.

I've been tying off and on (mostly on) for probably 25 ? years. The 8 or so years I spent living in the desert had me handloading, shooting, and hunting much more than fishing. I love to tie flies as long as the fishing is on the horizon.