Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

One fly?

If you had to pick one fly for the waters and areas you fish, what would it be and why? It can include any color and sizes as well. Mine would be the Wooly Worm. I've caught everything that swims in this area on it. All the way from tiny panfish to monster carp and freshwater drum. :headbang:

Mine would be a tan elk hair caddis, size 14 for the cutthroat trout in the North Fork of the Clearwater. Most prolific hatch on the river in the summer and pretty tough to fish in the winter due to multiple feet of snow and very little snow plowing.

Likely a black over white Clouser Minnow. Although I fish olive/white, gray/white & chartreuse/white a lot and with good success, I've done very well with both white & black, so this combination gives you both with great contrast between the two, which to me increases the chances of something being interested in eating it in more types on conditions.

Why? Bigger fish eat littler fish. No matter the time of year, there's usually some type of small fish available as prey, and this color combination could also imitate a variety of other things as well. If I had to pick a size that meant I either eat or starved, then a size 4, about 3 inches long. I've caught all types of panfish, bass, Pickerel, Striped Bass, and other species on this size fly.

I could probably pick a few other flies too. All being baitfish imitations, patterns that have been around a long time & I've had great success with. Zonkers, Deceivers, Seaducers come to mind. But, for year round, in all types of conditions I think my best choice would be the above mentioned Clouser! :thumbsup:

Where's the fun in that? One fly ONLY, somebody should have stopped me 5000 patterns ago. I don't even fish one fly at a time.

I would have to go with a deciever in a grayish color and size 2 because the bass always seem to like that fly in any enviroment around me (ie lakes, ponds, and rivers). I think that the clouser minnow is also a good choice.

I'm sure evryone has their own favorite,maybe because they had good success with it, and because of that fish it more than others. I guess mine would be the Epoxy Red Ass Ant. Fish it a lot for Brook trout and the elusive bluegill.

As long as I can change size and color, the Wooly Bugger is one of the most versatile flies. It can be a nymph, dry, or a streamer. In the right size and color you can always trim it on the water to emulate most bugs.

Where's the fun in that? One fly ONLY, somebody should have stopped me 5000 patterns ago. I don't even fish one fly at a time.

Thats All !!!! I have one book with over 16,000 patterns I'm working on..!!!!!! :bugeyes:

saltwater - a white clouser .... just looks like fish food when it's in the water...

freshwater - pink n black woolly bugger... the fish eat it

for the flats it's tough to beat a chartreuse over white clouser

Lil' Dave.....is that wooly bugger pink on the head or tail? I don't believe that I have ever seen that color combo......

I would have to say a size 12 prince nymph. ive caught alot of different fish on a prince from coldwater to warmwater

Guess I'll go with the Pheasant Tail Nymph #16. That fly I can catch fish year round with it. And honestly what trout don't like peacock herl, or pheasant feathers. Both are great tying material trout just love. B)