Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

It was a fun time pond fly fishing at a different pond for this round of the GoPro Mobile Fishing Livestream Series! Here is the edited version that takes you to the action that trip! #flyfishing #fishing #livestream 

I’ve had a rough start this year.  Over a couple of days I hooked and lost 8 stocked Bows and lost most of them at my feet, net in hand.  I had a few knots fail but mostly they’re spitting the hook at the bank.  I don’t fish a lot in the winter so even though I’m a seasoned fly angler lack of using my fish playing skills gave me problems.  I fish barbless so I’m used to losing a fish here or there but not 8 in a row.  I’ve felt like a baseball player in a slump over the last few days.  And just like a batter in a slump I started focusing on mechanics.  I started really thinking about what I might be doing differently from years past and it came to me.  When I fish any type of wet fly (upstream) prefer to not use a strike indicator (except on broken water).  I like to grease the 3’ of butt section of my leader to float it and use that as my indicator.  As with most upstream techniques slack on the water gives me a natural drift but there’s a fine line between the right amount and too much.  Bingo- too much slack on the water.  When the fish hit I wasn’t getting my best hook set.  A little extra slack is not as much a problem when hooking 6” to 8” wild fish but it’s a different story with the larger fish.  I got out for a short while yesterday after work, tightened up the slack line on the water a little and suddenly all seems well in the world.

IMG_E6967.thumb.JPG.a88b75732bfca3694a6ce403006f96ef.JPG

Nice fish, DF.  I'm always amazed at how those freshly stocked rainbows take to the air.  

Haven't thrown a fly in a while. I've been focused on getting snook for the freezer the last couple months. Now is the time to start targeting big gills. Went with my son and dad this morning. They got several on 🦗 and I got several on fly. Dad got a few on fly also. The 3wt. got a good workout this morning with gills and cichlids. Tons of fun for sure. These were a few on fly.

DA382B22-D9B8-4999-A93B-865F9DC57708.jpeg

54030DA8-CE05-4587-AC6A-B6A838032425.jpeg

76A2B109-AA3F-4F29-8E45-F676F7AF85D0.jpeg

Gills and cichlids in the morning in dads boat. Then took my boat down the river in the afternoon snook fishing. No snook, but I did lose a 7--8lb bass and caught a big jaguar on a topwater plug. While snook fishing I saw a bunch of big cichlids in one spot. I couldn't help but to tug on 3 or 4 of these before moving on.

248BDD89-AF6D-4B80-906F-B2040D91F763.jpeg

Starting Friday, I paid for admission to several lakes here in the Central California area.  Woodward, Amador, Lodi and Pardee.  Caught one bass in Amador and Pardee, both on a fly.  Hooked a trout on a "Husky Jerk" in Pardee, but wasn't looking in the right direction when it jumped, so no video.  It jumped twice and was gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxngPexAmPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gstOqYaBWJw

And I took one of the pollen off a pine tree.  Wife is a hay fever magnet for pollen, so she should be glad she's not here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGfT9CCCnDM

The site's not letting me "embed" the videos.  So, if you want to watch them, you have to "click" them.

Mike, go to Imgur.com and sign up.... Once you have an account there (it's free) you can download any photo you've loaded there - onto this or any other site, using the right format...  

Call up your photo, select it- then use the "BB Code" (second from last on your drop down menu) to load it,  then post it on any bulletin board site.. Very handy and pretty much professional quality - all free...

9 hours ago, mikechell said:

And I took one of the pollen off a pine tree.  Wife is a hay fever magnet for pollen, so she should be glad she's not here.

My eyes are watering just watching that video 😆

Friday a 4 foot black water snake got my heart pumping after I almost stepped on it while it was sunning itself next to the path.  I'm pretty much indifferent about snakes except for when they catch me completely off guard, like this one did.  Any way I calmed down to avoid cardiac arrest and I got a nice Rainbow.  Caught on a #12 weighted stonefly pattern.

1082663937_FRENCHRIVER4-21-23.thumb.JPG.bea422da546b29f8dd3289170815a899.JPG

Nice rainbow DF, have you been using your bamboo rod? I’m still waiting for the rivers to come down a little here in Michigan, maybe this week.

Mike.