Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MrFlyFisherGuy

8wt set up. Help Please!

Looking to get an 8wt fly reel and just wondering what a quality reel would be around $150. I Like islander but they are expensive. Amundson looks good too. I want a stainless steel reel, that is colored gold. -That is why I like the precision reels. So what are similar reels to the precision make that are in my price range. Also I need a fly rod to match the reel. This set up is for Northern Pike fishing. I'll need a sick line for the reel as well. LOL Is It true that a bright colored fly line will scare away pike in shallow water 6- 12 ft? Help me out please...!

Lots and lots of reel makers these days at every price point. If something you like isn't affordable new, you might want to look for that model used at roughly half what it sold for new.... I'm not familiar with reels made of stainless steel, most are made of lighter weight metals. Those lovely gold reels are actually machined out of solid aluminum with an anodized gold finish (and that's why many of the high end reels come in various colors, anodizing is possible in every color from black to your wildest choice -if you can pay for it). What really sets the high end reels apart from others is their strength and precision (since they're machined out of solid stock, part by part..). If you're fishing freshwater do you really need a reel meant for that fish of a lifetime? Lots of solid choices that are much, much cheaper... Hope this helps

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

If you decide that you need that quality of a reel after reading Capt. Bob's post you might consider a Sea Level Tempest. I don't currently own one but I believe that it will be my next reel purchase. I have heard lots of good things about them though the price is a little above your $150.

ok, I guess I meant to say aluminum... And I will be catching fairly large northern pike so i need something with quality but I don't need it to be really expensive. Something along the lines of an orvis hydros

I have an Orvis Battenkill that I really like and is right about that rice range.

I use a Lamson Conic on my 8wt that I use for Steelhead and Smallmouth bass. Never had a issue with it.

Price is about what your looking for.

OK.....I will probably get laughed out of here, but I have a Pflueger Supreme 1878 that I have been using for about 6 years and love it.....It is my go to flyreel when I travel North to the Boundary waters of Minnesota.....It is loaded w/an 8wt wff line and i carry a spare spool w/an intermediate line....I am far from an expert on Northerns, but have caught my fair share of them on this reel w/out any problems....it is not a large arbor, however, from my experience, Northerns aren't known for making long screaming runs,i have even used it in salt water.....i primarily use it in lakes/rivers when throwing big bulky streamers or deer hair bugs for bass....You can pick them up for less than $50.00....it is made out of gold plated machined aluminium and looks very nice...here is a link:

www.pfluegerfishing.com/products/supreme-reel.html

Mike

OK.....I will probably get laughed out of here, but I have a Pflueger Supreme 1878 that I have been using for about 6 years and love it.

Mike

If anyone laughs at you because you know how to use a fly reel, let them!

What's a sick line? Slick line- keep it clean and treated. Line color makes no difference in the vast majority of situations. Neither does reel color...

Look at the Allen Alpha II. One of my buddies just got one. He hasnt put it to the test yet, but it seems like a good reel. Maybe PanamaRed can chime in and give some info on Allens.

I have a Teton reel and it is tucked away because it got replaced with a Hobbs Creek fly reel. This bass pro shop's brand reel is solid on my 8wt. It looks good and works great for me. For $40 you can't beat it. Lol I feel dumb sometimes fishing when I get to thinking about how I have a Sage fly rod with this cheap reel lol! I suggest getting this reel because the drag works great, it can take a solid beating and not warp, and is not real heavy. Spools for it are cheap. Save the money on the reel and invest it into a good line also! A good line is the most important thing when it comes to fly fishing! Personally I prefer scientific angler but that's just me. Reels just hold line. No where near as important as the line or the rod. Just make sure to get a solid reel and one that will not warp. A warped reel while in the water is terrible and will ruin a day of fishing. And this Bass pro shop Hobbs creek reel is sure to hold up. Mine does and I can't tell you how often I drop it or dunk it in the water. And at $40 getting several or more years out of the reel defiantly pays for it's self.

I have a Lamson Konic as well on my 8wt. Love it! Its not gold like you want but I have been very happy with it in freshwater as well as salt.

Fly reels are like any other reel, there's wide range of types & prices. As Capt Bob has stated, there are many within your price range that will do what you need. If you need a reel that can stop a Tarpon or Marlin, then you'll pay a premium price. Pike are not Tarpon, and there are plenty of reels that should work well for them.

I have a couple of Okuma Integrity reels that I use for bass & Striper fishing. Not a high end reel but works well for what I use it for. Okuma has some newer reels too that may be a good buy for Pike. They seem to be improving their products by leaps & bounds each year.

I've looked at the Pflueger Supreme & President reels, very nice reels and feel either would be a fine reel for Pike. Take a look at the Allen reels, they seem to be getting a good following, & should work very well, and check out Colton. I've read some good things about Colton's reels. Orvis certainly has some solid reels.

IMO, the line color should not be an issue. I use a bright orange line for both Stripers & bass & still catch fish, and much of the fishing I do is in shallow water that's less than 10 ft deep. With an appropriate leader system and proper casting you should not have a problem with line color. Shadows from the line can sometimes be a problem in shallow water, but it won't matter what color the line is, it will still cast a shadow.

You would likely have more issues with light reflecting off a shiny rod or reel than you would with line color. My preference is for rods & reels with flat, non-reflective finishes. I'm not into jewelry, more into function. Personal preference. :)