Fly Tying
SILKHDH

FLY TYING TOOLS YOU MADE YOURSELF

Everything is fishing related but not fly tying related. I've posted this stuff at other times but want to see this thread grow. Sorry for the crappy pictures but it's the best I got.

My most recent build is my rod wrapper

post-48414-0-12791100-1479255819_thumb.jpeg

My brush maker

post-48414-0-79631200-1479255864_thumb.jpeg

A couple wading staffs

post-48414-0-51342400-1479255906_thumb.jpeg

My fly fishing lanyard that can be worn around the neck or connected to my wader straps

post-48414-0-02804500-1479255988_thumb.jpeg

My pole lathe used to turn lure bodies

post-48414-0-86994800-1479256039_thumb.jpeg

Portable tying desk made by my Dad. My most cherished possession. I would save this from a burning house

post-48414-0-81041600-1479256120_thumb.jpeg

An ice fishing jiggle stick that I use often

post-48414-0-03765900-1479256167_thumb.jpeg

I recently found these pliers in a toolbox in my shed. I instantly thought of a hair packer. I filed a notch for the hook and put it to work. Works great for now, till I dive into a fugly. I can get it much tighter than with my hands that's for sure.

post-59266-0-11116600-1479353081_thumb.jpg

Put a notch near one side, to you can pack to the back of a long hook, and you won't need a Fugly Packer.

Guest rich mc

i have glued a dowel rod to an alligator clip i use it as a tail furling tool. i named it my unABLE tool if it was an ABLE brand i couldnt afford it rich mc

Put a notch near one side, to you can pack to the back of a long hook, and you won't need a Fugly Packer.

Duh... Good idea! Didn't even think of that.

Poopdeck, That's a nice furling jig, good to see someone using infinity variable stanchions rather than dowel pegs in holes. That is a very limiting way to do it.

Cheers,

C.

To make the perfect packing tool. Take a pair of nippers...They used them to snap nails while shodding horses. Make sure the handles are wrapped in rubber or other non-conductive material. Slowly try to cut a live (120) 14-16 gauge wire. it will make you jump but you will get the perfect groove for packing hair.

Almost forgot my furling jigattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I like you jig? How did you make the gear end. I have made a lot of leaders so I can use the info.

Kevin

I ripped an old VCR apart and pulled 3 gears out of it. The gears had a shaft shoulder on one side. I drilled holes in plywood to put those shoulders into on the hook side. On the other side I drilled smaller holes and put pins in to support the back of the two end gears. On the center gear, the drive gear, I simply screwed an oversized screw into the back of the gear. The screw acts as the shaft and allows me to power the gearbox with a drill and Phillips bit. I screwed the hook eyes into The gear shoulders on the other side. Hope that makes sense.

Here's a link that shows my jig along with how I use it.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=82524&hl=furling

Adam that is a great job, nice clean work! If some would like a fast an easy hair packer. Take a 6" long 3/4" copper pipe. Glue two 3/4" caps on each end. Drill a different size hole through each cap for the 2 hook sizes you use the most.

Sorry, Vette ... I can not agree with your method for putting a groove in nipper jaws.

To everyone else. Unless you are very familiar with household electrical systems, do NOT try cutting through a live wire, for any reason.

Clamping the jaws shut, there are drill bits that can go through the metal. Using a small drill bit will give you a hole of the right size, without the threat of electrocution.

Only problem I see with those pliers being used as packers is the space between the joint and the inside of the jaws. You couldn't pack on a very long shanked hook at all. Great idea for short packing jobs, however! Love your packers too Adam!