Fly Tying
petelangevin

Grizzly hackle that is more black than white

I have been watching far to many videos on youtube lately and davie mcphail stated that he preferred more black on his gnat patterns and all i seem to see in my saddles is more white than black. I am using what i have for now but any clue about who makes a saddle like that.

If you order online it might be worth calling the place first and letting them know what you want. It could be that the color ratio varies from bird to bird.

Before you start searching high an low you might want to re-think about what he may be saying. I haven't seen the comment, but almost everyone likes more black in their grizzly than white...at least, this is what I assumed considering this is how I was taught to judge a grizzle neck/saddle as well. My suspicion is what he meant is he liked a more pronounced barring, as opposed to the more bleached out or irregular look you often see on some skins. If true, only way to get it is to pick out the skins yourself. Not sure how approachable he is, but you might even what to drop McPhail a note and ask him for clarification.

And of course, what we "like" and what catches fish are not necessarily the same thing. You may just want to file the information away and starting checking out skins next time you are in a shop and pick out one you like better than the one you have. Make more sense to me than trusting someone else to send the right skin. YMMV.

If you want more black there is nothing stopping you winding a black and grizzle hackle together.

Davie is a really nice guy, if you ask him to clarify I'm sure he will. If you like I'll find out from him, but could you post a link to the video so I can refer to it.

Cheers,

C.

I cant paste a link due to this foolish iphone i am using , but the video was of Pearly griffiths gnat and the cow dung fly patterns. Hackle was remarkably more black. I have never run into saddles or necks that dark here. The smarter tyers must be grabbing them first.

At one time I bought fair amounts of grizzly saddles (usually Metz #2, five or more with each order)as well as saddles from other sources. You'll find a wide range of shades even in grizzly.... Now that the stuff has become almost prohibitively expensive a recreational tier will find a very limited range of choices. One possibility is to make a point of attending large fly oriented expos where dealers bring bins of materials to paw through (and the last day, last few hours of any show may produce a bargain or two...). Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

since davie does say "metz microbarb" hackle then thats what you should be looking for at your local fly shop. however that seems to be "HIS" preference. i personally cant rush out to a fly shop and buy products based on any "TYERS" preferences. my tying room is not big enough! :) hell i'm still using the old henry hoffman grizzly saddle hackles!

Ive tied lots of griffiths gnats with grizzly hackles and havent had many refusals from the fish. they are the ultimate ones who decide.

if you watch that video again, send davie a message as to why he prefers a grizzly hackle with more black barbs

That what i shop around looking foris the pronounced barring in the grizzly as many are more blotched or bleeding that it doesn't look as good.

+If you want more black in your grizzly hackle, why not take a black marker to it until it is to your liking? I have done that before (to tone down some brightly colored hackle) and I liked the result. It's cheap and worth a shot. :rolleyes:

Side by side, the contrast in overall tone is distinct. The darker saddle appears as nearly a negative image of the lighter saddle. When wrapped, though, the difference isn't nearly so stark. Unless given a range of tones from which to select, I'd concern myself with the feathers' other qualities first.

FWIW, both saddles above are Whiting.

'nother suggestion, call Charlie Collins at (607)734-1765, and ask if he has what you need. Charlie is a smaller breeder who is highly regarded for the quality of his barred hackles. Over the past 5 years, I've switched to using his hackles almost exclusively.

Are those 2 flies in the video saltwater or freshwater, their both on siver hooks so I assume they are saltwater flies. Is this right?