Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

How heavy should a pedestal vise base be?

Just wondering how heavy your vise bases are. I am looking into buying one or creating one. I want to be sure it wont tip with pressure.

I was thinking around 10 or 12 pounds should work even with bass flies and spinning deer hair.

The stability depends on the weight AND the area of the base. If the area (length and width) are large enough, really not all that much weight is needed. I once bought a base from a big box store that was certainly heavy, but had a rather small footprint. Wasn't very stable at all.

I use a clamp at home, but will use a base if I'm tying somewhere where the clamp won't fit the table / bench. But I prefer the clamp.

The one I bought to go with my second Danvise weights 3 pounds. It has worked for me

so far.

A time or two I've had to steady it with a wrist when applying a lot of pressure. That wasn't

enough of a problem to make me look for something heavier.

I think Chase is right about the footprint, its more about toppling and if the base is large enough you tip it over. Then again, you can always do this, which helps stabilize the vise. You can use any kind of clamp you have around.

Kirk

RegalSm2.jpg

The brass pedestal for my HMH is ~4 lbs. It's plenty heavy. The wood base for my Norvise is much lighter, has a much larger footprint, and appears to be equally (or more) stable than the brass base. There is likely a fair bit of truth in the "footprint over weight" claim. That said, my non-bobbin hand probably does help hold everything steady when I'm really pulling on the thread.

This is my base, its a 12" x 12" piece of granite that I purchased from a local counter top seller. This piece was a display piece for a counter top they were no longer selling, I asked how much he wanted for it and he asked me what I would give him for it, I offered $10 and he took it. I had an older cheap pedestal base that I wasn't using so I took the piece that holds the vise stem and removed it from the cheap base, it was threaded so all I had to do was unscrew it from the base. I then drilled a hole in the granite that was the same size as the piece I removed from the base, I put some epoxy in the hole and put that piece in the hole and let it sit for a week before I touched it. I put my regal vise stem in the attached piece and have been tying with it for 5 years now and nothing moves or tips no matter what fly I tie. I would say it weighs close to 10 pounds, and with the 12 x 12 footprint it doesn't move.

V1_zps4b3e4baf.jpg

When I first bought my Regal pedestal model, it came with their lighter weight black metal base. It was OK for a while, but it would slide around every once in a while while I was tying. I ended up getting the heavier bronze base, and it's been fine ever since. I have it on a sheet of craft foam just to make sure that it never slides on my bench. It also makes it easier to clean up no matter what your tying, since you just fold the sheet into a U shape and dump the clippings in the trash.

Regards,

Mark

This is my base, its a 12" x 12" piece of granite that I purchased from a local counter top seller. This piece was a display piece for a counter top they were no longer selling, I asked how much he wanted for it and he asked me what I would give him for it, I offered $10 and he took it. I had an older cheap pedestal base that I wasn't using so I took the piece that holds the vise stem and removed it from the cheap base, it was threaded so all I had to do was unscrew it from the base. I then drilled a hole in the granite that was the same size as the piece I removed from the base, I put some epoxy in the hole and put that piece in the hole and let it sit for a week before I touched it. I put my regal vise stem in the attached piece and have been tying with it for 5 years now and nothing moves or tips no matter what fly I tie. I would say it weighs close to 10 pounds, and with the 12 x 12 footprint it doesn't move.

V1_zps4b3e4baf.jpg

you have a lovly set up the base is awsome

3-4 lbs works fine for me, even for bass and saltwater patterns.

I do add a pair of bar magnets to the base.

Look into purchasing one of the bases offered by peak vise co..I have had my regal on one of these for years,has never moved and it has pockets for hooks too