Fly Tying
GG34

Furnace hackle?

Can I use it in place of brown?

Absolutely! In fact I prefer furnace to plain brown in most applications. First, some think the black list, which will be focused near the hook shank, gives the illusion of a hefty thorax but without the mass. Secondly, like many others, I subscribe to the theory that a mix of similar colours is more likely to present the preferred shade to the trout. And thirdly, most natural brown skins will actually be furnace: Many of the purely brown necks on the market are dyed from white. (Not that there's anything wrong with dyed feathers!)

well a badger hackle has a web location. It is a black outline in the hackle. Basically a Furnace hackle is a brown badger. But on that same note i don't why it is not call brown badger but you can use brown or Furnace for any that calls for a brown or even a Dark Ginger mite work if you want a lighter color. But it mite be call that cuzz it looks like fur to me hints the name Furnace. or brown badger. for a beginner i would go with a badger cuzz it tell you how much web is in the hackle. :)

furnace hackle

http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5247584/il_fullxfull.275127049.jpg

silver badger

http://www.whitingfarms.com/images/hm_sized/badger_silver.jpg

golden badger

http://www.whitingfarms.com/images/hm_sized/badger_golden.jpg

understanding feathers

http://www.mwflytying.com/materials/feathers.html

from the interweb

a flyfishing history by dr andrew herd

At first sight the dry Greenwell has nothing in common with its ancestor, but this is partly due to a change in jargon. Hackle terminology is terrifically confusing, mostly because it is defined by the fickle machinations of consent between fishermen, rather than in the smoke-filled rooms of international standards organisation committees. The word 'furnace' as a description of hackles doesn't seem to have come into common use until after the first war. We think of a furnace hackle as a red feather with a black centre, which, as it happens, is what the canon and E.M. Tod would have called coch-y-bondhu. Interestingly enough, Roberts says that a 'Greenwell' hackle is an alternative for the furnace/medium blue dun combination, which apart from being terribly confusing, is ever so slightly ironic. There might be a lot of uncertainty about hackle terminology, but Greenwell should mean a ginger hackle with black centre. Don't ask me how authentic this option is. In May 1854, Jimmy Wright couldn't actually have found a Greenwell hackle, since by definition, no-one knew what one was in those days, but who knows? Maybe all he had to hand were light ginger hackles with black centres, and all the patterns tied since using dark hackles are worthless impostors. Somehow I doubt it, and I suspect that the idea of using ginger hackles on Greenwell's Glories is a modern invention, inspired by the '32 variant's siren yellow tips. Makes for a nice fly, though, even if it doesn't have much in common with its ancestor beyond a name.

more info

http://books.google.com/books?id=CZtHoZN6Oq8C&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=furnace+hackle&source=bl&ots=-3jc-QPAx3&sig=88SXEHJexB_iqHCGyplIC0ACFDg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zDwvUc7XL8fVrQeYoICwBA&ved=0CGkQ6AEwBDgU#v=onepage&q=furnace%20hackle&f=false

not much to do with fur

I use lots and lots of dyed black saddle hackle (comes strung, bundled in commercial quantities) and prefer it to be dyed furnace.... What you get is a gorgeous black feather with a shiny dark green center... None of these are particularly suitable for freshwater tiers since I'm wanting six to nine inch, wide webby saddles with as large a profile as possible (the opposite of what freshwater tiers are looking for...). Furnace dyed black fills the bill for me....

tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Is there a picture of the hackle? If there is I'm not seeing it. Let me know so I can tell if there's a problem.

Thanks

Many of the names of hackle feather patterns are confusing .Has been that way for 100 years, literally.

If you have the 2nd edition of Hale, "How to Tie Salmon Flies" (an antique book from 1919) on page 11 and 12 he gives an illustration and explanation (attached). Starting at the bottom feather in the figure , #1, this is Coch-y-Bondhu, #2 is Furnace. The coch-y-Bondhu is basically furnace with a black lace at the tips of the feathers. Hale refers to Badger as "white furnace". Feather #3 is Kneecap, which is like Coch-y-Bondhu with the dark and light reversed. Feather #4 is cuckoo, which we now call grizzly (white or dyed background) or chinchilla (gray background).

post-4200-0-35520800-1362148854_thumb.jpg

iInever heard of Coch-y-Bondhu, Kneecap, chinchilla capes let alone seen any resent capes with these names. Are they more rare and not used as much? i have only seen Coch y Bonhu at Fether Mac.com but have never seen a Kneecap or Chinchilla. how would i find capes like this? i love variant capes. i got a Cree variant and it has Cree that is like a brown barred with ginger in it with a hint of tan or white. it is a variant cuzz it has france hackles in it.. I'll post a pic i got this cape for $25 off of E-bay

This is a Cree Variant cape for $25 on Ebay. I would not recommend Ebay but if you want good to fair hackle at a good price. Then ask the buyer , if there any broken tips, and were they got the hackle.

post-47788-0-91536700-1362444983_thumb.jpg

Necks and saddles like "cree variant" make very, very good tarpon flies (if the feathers are big enough..).. Chinchilla, not commonly mentioned in retail circles is very well known to wholesalers and others that buy strung saddles or neck hackles for dying and re-sale. Instead of being labeled "chinchilla" the're simply called variant (or grizzly substitute) by the time they wind up in catalogues or fly shops. The below pic is all comprised of what's called red chinchilla (and I buy the stuff by the pound, strung and bundled, when I can find it....). This particular bug, the Sand Devil is one of my contract patterns with Umpqua, and a fairly popular old style Keys pattern....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-58504200-1362488810_thumb.jpg