Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sunsignarcher

I bought a Nor-Vice today

I think Im unbuying it tomorrow.

It's a really really cool vise and does some amazing things but I just don't think I'm a Nor-Vise guy. I think I rather continue learning the old school methods for getting from A to B instead of starting all over and loosing the techniques I'm only just getting good at.

If I had 30 years of tying under my belt I'd probably add this to the arsenal, but being only 1 year in I think I need to get a lot better before I start looking to reinvent how thread gets put on a hook….

Norm sure was one helluva nice guy though, Im really gonna hate bringing this back.

tyers either love it or hate it. it does take some time to get used to but so didn't the other vise your currently using.

i don't think you have to reinvent the method of attaching the thread to a hook as you say. it still gets attached the same way as with any other vise. a jam knot is still a jam knot regardless of vise being used

maybe you should take a day or so longer and watch the videos on the norvise website (maybe you should have done that first) and try out some of the techniques in those video. the decide if the norvise is for you

i have no affiliation with norvise nor do i own one.

ive seen norm at many fly fishing shows with tyers in a zombie like pose gazing onto his tying station watching him tie flies at blinding speeds.

this guy could sell water to a well

I agree with Flytire. Tighten up the rotation and the vice holds a hook just the same and tie away. As you develop you may want to use the rotation feature and its there for you. As Flytire says, give it a few more days and then decide.

The Nor vise is not only different in use, it makes almost everything I do easier and faster and does things that no other vice can do.

In my case it also vastly reduces repetitive motions that aggravate my carpal tunnel problems that limit time at the vise.

Mastering a tool like that early in a fly tying experience would have saved me much grief since I started 50+ years ago.

I now have a NOR vice though.

Rocco

tough decision; but no use keeping a toy you aren't going to play with then selling it don't the road for half it's value

I'm a fly tying video junkie and have seen Norms videos many times over. Ive been eying this thing for awhile.

My main hang up is the in-line jaws. I knew they'd feel awkward but not as restrictive as they do. You don't appreciate having access to the rear of the hook until its not there.

The midge jaws would be an option but then the spinning feature is somewhat compromised.

Bottom line, at $450 I need to love this thing and I don't.

I will take the advice given and sit on her for awhile longer before I throw in the towel but my mind is pretty much made up.

I have also just purchased a Nor-Vise, last Thursday to be exact. I purchased a fine point jaw systems and a dubbing brush table.

Two regrets came up once I started playing around with the Nor-Vise.

#1- I should have purchased the inline jaws as well as the fine point. The fine point jaws don't allow the fast spinning that the inlines would.... Though I think one could add a counter weight on the outter brass hub cover. I will be rrying that.

#2- I though the bobbin system was a gimmick, though I can see it having a great advantage over a regular bobbin when used with the Nor-Vise.

I have been making box full of dubbing brushes, rabbit and congo hair and Phoenix Dubbing. That was my selling point. Being able to dub bodies quite quickly is great, as is the ability to make your own dubbing brushes very effectively is sweet.

Anyways don't try to tie all your flies à la Norm, it will come naturally. Soon enough you'll be spinning flies off that system faster then you would have expected.

I bought the low priced Anvil vise to replace a cheap Thompson. To use it as a rotate vise you have to use it inline. After tying on a cheap Thompson for some time I found the inline tying very uncomfortable. I then picked up a used Renzetti traveler and the concept of the vise with dropped neck but inline rotation make a lot more sense to me. I still tie mostly on the Anvil with the vise turned way up in the non-rotte plane. I have personally found only small uses of the rotation features so have no interest in the Nor-Vise because of the inline tying concept. I'm sure it's great for those who take the time to use it as it's meant to be used but I'm never going to be in production tying and like the old fashioned setup better.

I should mention that there are tie where rotation is much easier than removing hook and turning it upside down in jaws. Clouser and bead chain eye flies come to mind since it's easier to tie things on bottom of hook when it is up than doing it from top.

After watching many Nor-vise videos I came to the same conclusion (i.e. most or all basic processes are different on a Nor-vise). For that reason and the fact that they are very pricey, I decided that they were not for me. I think they are a quality vise and definately make one able to tie much faster after learning the methods.

After watching many Nor-vise videos I came to the same conclusion (i.e. most or all basic processes are different on a Nor-vise).

The vise you like is the best vise for you. But I don't get this comment. I tied for about 12 years on various vises before buying a Norvise about 5 years ago, and I constantly am switching between the Nor and other rotary and non-rotary vises (I have a vise collecting vice). The only "basic process" that is different is a slight change in the angle of my material hand. Everything else is the same. Sure you can do all that fancy spinning stuff, but its not required to use the vise. I have both the inline and midge jaws, but I haven't used the midge jaws.

Bottom line though is, as the OP says, he doesn't love it. It's a very personal decisions. If you don't love it after a few tying sessions take it back.

"Sure you can do all that fancy spinning stuff, but its not required to use the vise."

If you're not going to use the vise the way it was intended, why spend all the extra money and not take advantage of it's unique qualities?

My comments were not meant to offend any Nor-vise owners. As I said, I think it is a quality vise and I admire anyone who can employ it's special qualities.

"Bottom line though is, as the OP says, he doesn't love it. It's a very personal decisions. If you don't love it after a few tying sessions take it back."

Amen! I was just agreeing with the OP's position. The Nor-vise wasn't for me either. Who knows, maybe I'll want one in the future.:)

Well when I bought mine, it wasn't quite the same price as today, but it was still the most expensive vise I have ever purchased. I own a more expensive Dyna-King Sidewinder, but I traded for that. The Sidewinder can also spin, but not quite a well as the Nor-vise. I have never regretted buying it. I tie with the Nor-vise 95% of the time. I got mine back when the arbors were aluminum, and the jaw was tightened with a wheel mounted screw between the jaws. At that time there was no fine point conversion, or tension screw..

A few years ago, I sent mine back to Norm to get the hole tapped for the tension screw. I asked him to please not swap out my stem, but to drill my old one. No only did he drill out my old stem, but he swapped in a new set of reconditioned brass arbors and a new lever operated in line jaw. It spins even better now, and Norm sent my old jaws and arbors back to me. So I still have my vise as purchased (Directly from Norm at a show.) At the same time, I did get a fine point conversion and the gallows tool. Before than, I would switch to my Renzetti for small (under 20,) patterns. Since I no longer needed to do that, I traded off the Renzetti in 2007.

I spin dubbing directly on the thread, and make brushes. I wind materials and hackles by rotating the vise. I just push my finger along the arbor. Access to the back of the hook is NOT a problem, at least for me. Yes, the plane of the jaw is different, but it was a minor adjustment. I can a do tie down to size 20 on the standard in line jaws.

Even if I were to LOCK down the jaws and never spin it again, I would still keep right on using it. I have set it up with a lightweight travel base, so I take it with me when I travel. You can't have it even when I'm done, its going with me, OR to my best fishing buddy.

Yes, its a love it or else, and now you know where I stand.

utyer, thanks for that post. Stories like that go a long way.

I can think of only one other company that I can share a similar customer service story about, Swarovski optic. I will sing that companies praises till the day I die.

You made me really want to support Mr Norlander now (more) and I'm gonna give some serious thought to settling down with this vice and making it work for me.

I do have a question for you. An ideally tapered or thin or thick or loose or tight dubbing noodle to create the desired body shape is something I'm just getting good at. When your spinning dubbing onto the thread how much control do you have over how its dispersed? Whatcing Norm it didn't seem like he could get a perfect noodle spinning it on.

When spinning on the dubbing it can be tightened up by holding the thread and spinning the vise a bit more. Conversely if you spin the vise in the opposite direction you can loosen up the dubbing. Creating a fluffier or tighter dubbed body. Norm has great videos on his site and on you tube.

Now i have his vise and am very happy. But its taken me a lot of practice to learn how to use the vise in the way norm shows. I have had other vises. ( renzetti and dk, regal and thompson). All were fine vses that did what they were supposed to. But there were quirks with each that i did not like. To each their own i say.