Fly Tying
spm

Flies for smallmouth bass

Well, for those of you who live close to Sugar Creek, you know that last week was rainy and cold. When we got there and the river was up, fast, and muddy. The guide agreed that he would just be taking us on a boat ride. Had to cancel and will reschedule for another day. Disappointing but that's baseball.

spm

Slumpbusters are pretty good. I use black, charcoal or chartreuse. I also catch spotted bass and redeye one them.

There's something I never thought I'd see, even if they're not tied with Kreinick metallic tyers ribbon for the body......my dancindaves' from the 1980's ! Slumpbusters? Bass busters.........on the Potomac, Shenandoah & Cacapon, but why no white ones?

For some reason I haven't had a lot of luck with white. Well, not with smallies anyway. Trout are a different story. I should add that I live in central ky. so I don't fish the mentioned streams and rivers. Just offering my two cents and hopefully helping a little.

White is great for imitating minnows, dragon & damsel flys or a white miller hatch before the topwater fun on dry white wulffs.

And, if you hit the famous "whitefly" hatches for Smallmouths, some of the various Salmon or Steelhead dry flies in white work exceptionally well.

100_4274-Copy-Copy.jpg

These work pretty good too the rest of the time! smile.png

100_4276-Copy.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/saltydancindave/IMGP1810_zps2551ef88.jpg
Haven't had these out in years, nor dusted them off for quite while.

(also couldn't get the image posted here)

IMGP1810_zps2551ef88.jpg

I just caught one on a #10 yellow craft foam spider and missed another one. Also caught one on a black wooly bugger with a grizzly hackle size 8.