Fly Tying

Not sure if I'm in for sure, but if so; could I tie a royal wet wulff, a wet fly version of a royal wulff?

I think I'll jump in on this one with a White Wulff.....need to tie some up for the White Fly hatch on the Housatonic River

Fisherboy0301, I didn't realize there was a wet version but I try to be open minded so it sound good to me.

Flygirl, I'm glad that you joined

DavidHE, that's a new one to me also but I am a very curious person, so welcome in.

I was actually looking it up, and couldn't find one but I figure it would be a peacock body, red band, brown soft hackle, and white buck tail wing, watcha think?

Fisherboy, it sounds good to me as long as all the other swappers don't mind a wet fly being added to a dry swap

Actually, I think that there are plenty of dry wulff patterns that we don't need to expand the parameters. Let's keep it a dry fly swap. I actually love wet patterns and probably fish them more than dries. Notwithstanding, lets stick to the rules. Especially since Fisherboy couldn't find an established pattern and would have to invent one anyway.

No worries Shoebop. I wanted it to be a dry only swap but I am an old softie and its hard for me to say no sometimes. Fisherboy canceled his entry anyway via pm so I guess we are all going to be riding high and dry.

I found the burnt when looking up wulff variances. It's a royal with orange instead or red floss, and either orange or dark colored wing. I'll see how the pack fills out and change if something else grabs my fancy and isn't selected by another tier.

I was going to say that my buddy Bronc (Fisherboy) has to get his feet wet on hairwing flies someday. I just recently completed a trade of feathers from him for a good vise he won't break and he needs to put it to good use. Tying a series of hairwings is going to be good for me too. I just took a break from tying the 24's from the other swap and put a 16 3x long hook in and tied a Royal Wulff. It's not going to one that goes in swap, or at least I hope it's not. I'd think after a few runs I can get them somewhat better proportioned.

Hairwings a little too long and hackle a little too short on this first one but ya' know what...it's going in my dry fly box and has just a good a chance as catching a fish as the ones my friend sent me, even if his are too pretty and perfect to fish. That's why he wins contests and is invited to tie at the shows and I just have a good time trying to make something the fish might try to eat.