Fly Tying

You really didn't have to do that. Yes, it's a beauty and now I feel like razoring all mine and trying again. Though I was getting near done. Biggest problem I have with them is my stick out the front like a diver about to hit the water. Can never get them upright like yours.

Just wondering, did you eraser the herl to a certain point, then wind the stripped herl until the feathery part hit and finish with that? Kind of tricky getting them close but does work, as you've shown in that quality tie. I was fishing the Crystal River in CO last year and was told by an old guy (I should talk) that if you can't catch them on top with the H & L you might as well go to nymph.

You really didn't have to do that. Yes, it's a beauty and now I feel like razoring all mine and trying again. Though I was getting near done. Biggest problem I have with them is my stick out the front like a diver about to hit the water. Can never get them upright like yours.

Just wondering, did you eraser the herl to a certain point, then wind the stripped herl until the feathery part hit and finish with that? Kind of tricky getting them close but does work, as you've shown in that quality tie. I was fishing the Crystal River in CO last year and was told by an old guy (I should talk) that if you can't catch them on top with the H & L you might as well go to nymph.

Vicrider,

To make them sit upright, I do a bit more than a hook shank length for the tail,and make sure the hackle is a touch big for the hook size. So a size 13 on a size 14 hook. I also set the wing back a little to balance it out. If done right, it will sit on the tail,and the hackle with the hook point a bit off the surface.

I used two different peacock herl's. One stripped with an eraser,and one in tact. I couldn't get the stripping done to land the unstripped herl correctly.

Thank you all for the compliments. I tie very very slow in order to get an acceptable result. As Davie McPhail says, take your time. If I don't like something it gets undone and redone until Im satisfied. I enjoy fishing with a well tied fly. I also get a huge kick if someone else catches fish with my flies.

Seth

Figures I just got some brown dry fly hackle, calf body hair, and peacock herl today... I missed out! :(

Bronc, do you understand what we mean when we talk about erasing herl? It's just taking an erasure, and the white silicone ones work by far the best, and laying the herl down on the table and erasing the green fuzz off. Do one side, turn it over and do the other side. This leave a very tough quill to wrap for the body. Makes a nice segmented look and is used in a lot of patterns. Biot bodies, stripped feather quills, and stripped herl were staples of the dainty bodies of the Catskill type of flies.

Yes, I learned that from going through the fly tying courses on faol I beleive. Thanks anyway though.

Okay, mine hit the mail today. Tony, I put one in there in what I'm told is the traditional spent wing Moose Mane tail of the original H & L Variant version. It's probably how I should have done them all but I didn't so we take what we get. After seeing that stilis guys flies I gave up and just finished 'em off.rolleyes.gif laugh.png

Vicrider, I look forward to seeing them. I have some of your flies and I don't think there is anything wrong at all with them.

I received two packages today, one from Rockworm and one from Vicrider. Great looking flies fellows and thanks for the extras.

I will be watching for them Shoebop. I watched an older video last night with Fran Better's tying an AuSable Wulff.

I know I'm not in this swap, I just wanted to say that once I got all the materials this inspired me to try a royal wulff! It was BAD! No pheasant for the tail so I used brown hackle fibers, the peacock is very scraggly, the hackle might be a little sparse, and the wings didn't have nearly enough calf hair! I'm surprised it floated on the first cast, and no sooner did it hit the water than a little bass slurped it up! I was estatic! My first dry fly fish . EVER! No picture though... :(

I know I'm not in this swap, I just wanted to say that once I got all the materials this inspired me to try a royal wulff! It was BAD! No pheasant for the tail so I used brown hackle fibers, the peacock is very scraggly, the hackle might be a little sparse, and the wings didn't have nearly enough calf hair! I'm surprised it floated on the first cast, and no sooner did it hit the water than a little bass slurped it up! I was estatic! My first dry fly fish . EVER! No picture though... sad.png

Don't worry, the royal wulff doesn't call for golden pheasant in the tail anyways. I like to use moose mane but bucktail works well too. To get the hair denser first pull out the shorts and start aligning the fibres from a large clump of hair in your hand, then take a fine toothed comb and brush it through the clump on both ends and gently place it all in a large hair stacker, works every time if you have to use calf tail. Good to hear the pattern is working for you! :)

I like to get a good long clip of hair, brush the short fibers out, then tie it in at middle and wind to back and use one hair piece for tail and wings. Wind back forward and split hair and wrap the wings, then go back to tail and do you herl in back and pull that herl to front with a couple of wraps. Put your floss in and wind that to front right over top of herl and tie off. Then wind that herl and tie off. Tie in the brown hackle and grizzly. Wind the grizzly a couple of turns behind wings, then a couple in front and tie off. Wind the brown or ginger hackle thru the grizzly a few turns in back, then a few turns in front. Tie off, cement head, take it fishing. This is the way I like to do them. Not the classic but fairly easy and uses one hunk of fur, one herl, and splits wings nicely. I've never been able to get good upright wings and they always slope forward but fish don't seem to mind.

All of this is a lot easier on a person if you use a 2x or 3x long hook. Down to about an 18 they tie fairly easily. Below that gets tricky.