Fly Tying
hairwing

Where do you put your homemade dry fly dope?

One great thing about the e-net is that I can find stuff. I recently bought ten 1/2 oz. ointment jars for 5 bucks, perfect for stowing my favorite dry fly dope.

I'm all set !

...and they're custom too, I put my little logo on the lid ;-D.

004_zpsa8a1afa7.jpg

I simply pick up the discarded fly dope containers I find on the stream. They cost nothing.

I simply pick up the discarded fly dope containers I find on the stream. They cost nothing.

That's sad... I can't recall ever finding fly dope containers along streams I fish but I'm glad you are into the recycle thing.

I can usually fill a grocery bag sometimes two on the way back to the car. I have found perfectly good water bottles, fly boxes, lots of good stuff among the junk. Any valuable stuff, I report to the local shop in town and wait for any word on lost items.

Yes, dope is fly floatant. "Dope" is a rather old term for homemade formulas of white gas, and paraffin wax.

A while ago I found some excellent little pots that are great for putting my formula of line degreasant in. What makes them so good are two little tabs that when squeezed together pop the lid open. These are by far the easiest I have found to open with cold hands, or if you have gloves on. I bought a load and filled them. Put them up on my web site, only to find that they are a fraction over size for the post. The limit is 25mm thick. The pots are 1 inch in diameter (25.4mm). They just will not go through the gauge they use. This means the price to post them goes up to over three times the price. Ha well, such is life.

Cheers,

C.

I have heard of Bear Grease, but not Deer fat. Never actually seen either.

As I recall from reading not experience, one of the problems using animal fats was that they turned rancid....oops now your gonna have to explain to the wife where you have been besides fishing on the stream...lol.

Some interesting thoughts from Darrell Martin on floatants............http://www.flyrodreel.com/magazine/2008/july/staying-top

I have an old fly dressing container I found at a garage sale and I put Abilene in it.

"dope" is an old term which used to mean many things, not the usual current meaning. Typically it was used to denote something added to an article to make it work better, slang for information, or even something added to a process.... rifle shooters "dope the wind" by holding into it the correct amount, or making sight adjustments. It's a cool word... to bad the usage is more or less ruined now.

" dope" is also a marine rifleman term - as in what is the dope on the weapon ( meaning elevation an Windage clicks) or if a marine shoots badly - we say " it's the dope behind the weapon - not on the weapon "

One great thing about the e-net is that I can find stuff. I recently bought ten 1/2 oz. ointment jars for 5 bucks, perfect for stowing my favorite dry fly dope.
I'm all set !
...and they're custom too, I put my little logo on the lid ;-D.
004_zpsa8a1afa7.jpg

Over the years I've read about using Albolene. Does it really work? Have you used it much? Just wondering because I just may invest in some.