Fly Tying
vicrider

Get your EPI pens ready SWAP

Okay, let's call it here. We have 11 swappers which means 10 flies each. Anyone who sends in more I'll shuffle them around and make sure everyone gets an extra of two. Looking forward to this swap since the things we're tying are all over the place right now and sure some must be ending up in fish bellies.

Well, so far my house has been invaded by ants and spider and mosquitoes and wasps. Updated front page and as always, thank you for any extras.

Got a couple of nice packages today from our new victim Jimdbrem. He's going to be a good addition to any swaps he may join in in the future. I would put some of his cupboard ants into our cupboard to surprise the wife when she gets home but she'd only smash them with her shoe and probably bend the hook.

Bryon Anderson sent some of the nicest bees I've seen. His ties are of packed deer hair and tho I'm sure they'll do the job solo I can sure see them as an indicator fly with a dropper. I hate "bobbers" but this fly should be nearly unsinkable and ideal as the top fly in a dropper set up. If Rusty Gates inspired this then this version definitely does his originals justice.

Wow--thanks for the kind words Vicrider. Those bees were fun to tie, once I got used to spinning and packing hair on such a small scale that is. :) I understand from their website that Gates Lodge no longer stocks that particular pattern. Seems foam came along and was easier to work with, so when the last of Rusty's bees were gone they never tied any more up.

I've been dragging my heels a bit on this, trying to decide on proportions. Here's what I doing:

mcginity0001.jpg

Yes, the McGinty traditionally has a tail of mixed red quill and teal, but I decided that it looks ridiculous to have a long tail on a fly that's supposed to be a bumble bee, so I'm leaving it off.

Redietz, your bees flew in and they'll make a great compliment to the slightly larger ones Bryon sent in. We're building into a nice set of stingers and biters to sort out here soon. I was digging around in some wood next to the shed and came across one of the little scorpions we have around here. Not very dangerous...well I suppose like a bee you could have an allergy...but for the most part not much worse than a mosquito bite. If my wife could get stabbed in the foot by one and not react badly then almost anyone is safe since she reacts to anything, even piss ant bites are worse than the scorpion. I've never really got into the realistic ties but thinking a scorpion would be a good candidate for one.

I'm glad my flies made it in time. I cut this one a bit closer than I like.

Yeah, scorpions would make a great subject for a realistic tie, if no other reason than that you'd never be tempted to fish with it. (I'm assuming scorpions are not high on any fish's list of favorite foods.)