Fly Tying
jfinn

Material inventory

Hi,

I'm just make it simple. Took picture and upload it in my facebook account but that picture only me can see it. I don't know some how, feel so lazy to write down on so many things. But, I'm just a newbie anyway. :)

My wife and I have adopted a new saying.

"We're not lazy ... we just really enjoy doing nothing!"

Inventories might be good if you truly have SO MUCH stuff you can't see where it all is. I don't have that much stuff.

I tried taking inventory once, which worked good for ordering but I never kept up with it - not disciplined enough and tie to much different stuff so I'll always just using a little of this and a little of that.

What I found works for me is to keep an index card on my tying table and when I run across a material that I am low on or do not have a certain color of, I'll jot it down. When I have enough for an order, I'll look through some other boxes and place an order.

When the order comes in, invariable within a week or two of tying, I discover something that I "should" have ordered!

Kirk

whoops... had written a response and saw I already responded - reference my comment on just keeping a list of material location.

Tried to remove this post but upon editing it - said field had to have some sort of text.

BCT

Belle... If you hadn't already posted and want to reconsider one you're typing, just log off the forum without hitting Post, and when you log back on, it will be gone.

Odd man out, guess I'm part geek. My tying slowed while the kids were little and I moved my focus to hunting and training retrievers. As it has picked up again I got annoyed with duplication and looking for things instead of tying, or not buying what I thought I had already. GRRRR. I borrowed the method I found on Fly Angler Online and modified for my taste Pheasant tail jar is not inventoried. It is unlikely I will ever run out of those.

post-2910-0-21085500-1418956874_thumb.jpg

post-2910-0-15303300-1418956904_thumb.jpg

post-2910-0-95608000-1418956924_thumb.jpg

post-2910-0-21122700-1418956958_thumb.jpg

maxdux,

You have a lot more patience than I good! LOL LOL LOL Nice looking setup though...

I was reading through a bunch of older posts and thought this was a good idea because in my short tying career I've already created quite the materials stash. A local fly shop is going out of business and everything has been on sale at least 35% off and needless to say, every time I go in there I come out with a bag of stuff. Spools of thread and body wrap, Uni wire etc. are only around 1.50 so why not right. I'm not going to spend the time on an actual inventory but hoping to get a tying desk soon and at least get everything into some type of organized system. I did tell myself that I will only be tying trout/Steelhead flys, otherwise I'd be either broke or divorced.

If I kept an inventory on an excel file and my wife found it I would be a dead man way to many materials!

this.....

Aside from fishing my main hobby is application development. How many of you guys would be interested in an app where you select the materials you currently own from perhaps an assortment of expandable charts and then you could see what flies you were able to tie? I'm imagining the flies would be broken down into categories so it is not overwhelming, like streamerxs, nymphs, emergers, etc.

Yes please, fantastic idea, I just got started a couple of months ago, everything's all nice and organized, somehow I forgot about my uncles old fly tying kit, found some materials and it was like Christmas.

I don't make an inventory per say, but I generally keep the product tag info, size, brand, etc. More to make sure I don't buy the same thing twice than for flies

Hey there -

I'm a complete and utter data junkie (maybe the epitome of info collectors) and collect a ton of information about the things I'm interested in. I'm also a software developer and support databases daily so this would be easy for me - right? Now I'm into fly tying and the "second' thing I thought of was creating a database for my material collection. No way! [My first thought was to collect tools and stock up on materials.] I don't say that because by the end of my work day I want to get away from these until the next morning but because it'll be too big a task to maintain and I know it won't stand up to the test of time. Organization is another thing and "that" is where I'll pour the energy I'd put into a database. having like materials together and easy to find will be key. Label your boxes, drawers, etc., so you not hunting instead of fly tying. I'm fairly new to this (not three months old and have collected a fair amount of stuff. but here's another thing...we probably want to buy everything to make pattern we thing is cool looking or we want to try. I've decided to stick with buying pattern specific materials for the flies I will fish with and try very hard not to buy stuff "just in case I'll need it one day. During my early travels I did find an article for creating a database so if you are still interested here is the page out of a series: http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/organize/part5.php

It appears from the bunch I've read in the thread, there are not many tiers wanting to catalog everything they have. in a nutshell, if you're about to tie a bunch of a certain pattern, see if you have/need those materials.

Hope this helps!

I don't have an inventory, but I do have drawers labeled with contents. I have my hook drawers labeled by style number. I have others labeled by general contents, i.e. elk, deer, mallard, chenille, yarn, etc. I am almost 70 years old and after almost 60 years of tying, I don't have enough time left to inventory all my stuff and still go fishing.

I do, however, have a spread sheet on Excel for my rods, reels and some other equipment, accompanied by photographs, for insurance.

post-20459-0-01824400-1427834720_thumb.jpg