Fly Tying
flytire

paper catalogs

there was a shop that i worked at that used to have mags on the back of the tank in the reading room. i never touched a single one. i wonder why.......

Fishingeek, what makes you think she will stop?

Mike, I am also of the age where I still find it easier to read a physical piece of paper or book compared to a computer or tablet screen. I sometimes teach classes at a local university. The first thing the students do when they walk into class is take a picture of the notes I have written on the board with their phones. Yes, it makes me feel like a dinosaur.

Steve

OK so lets go 1 step further

if paper is so passe, do you subscribe to your favorite national fly fishing/tying magazines electronically (or in an app) or still get the paper version?

do you download to pdf the latest electronic magazines to your hard drive for reference or later reading? this is fly, fymage,pool32 etc?

Paper is not passe. I don't find printed fly tying catalogs useful given the ease of shopping online. However I just got two books in the mail today. Some things I like to read on paper, other things on the screen. For magazines I get some paper and others on my phone - depends on content and where I read them. Some I get both - like the paper copy at home and also like having it on my phone to enjoy fishing pictures at work. I'm not committed to a medium but to what makes sense for me.

the largest problem i see in our paperless society, is that we still look at our monitors as paper; black on white. as i see it there is too much glare. you want easy on the eyes viewing? try yellow on black. easy on the eyes, and easy to read.

I have always been a catalog (Paper) junkie. As a kid, I would leaf through the Sears Roebuck catalog, circling the things I wanted. That's right; Sears & ROEBUCK. And now you know how old I am.

steve

I like The Fly Shop's catalog because it highlights trips and locations I'll probably never go on. Other than that, I shop online catalogs mostly.

I like paper catalogs, but don't get too many these days since I don't order from as many places as I used to. What's strange, is that I get a catalog from The Fly Shop every year. I've been receiving their catalog for at least the last 14 years in a row. I have never ordered one thing to date from them, ever. Most shops drop you off their mailing list if you don't order from them after a year or two. Their catalog this year is as big as ever. I've been thinking of trying their in-house hooks for quite a while, but have yet to take the plunge.

Regards,

Mark

I have always been a catalog (Paper) junkie. As a kid, I would leaf through the Sears Roebuck catalog, circling the things I wanted. That's right; Sears & ROEBUCK. And now you know how old I am.

steve

for me as a kid, it was, the "Consumer's Distributing". catalog.

I do not own a Kindle. I like my books and magazines paper, thank you. It's not age or uncomfortably with computers.

I like the internet, I'm here aren't I. I am active on Twitter @REMintervention, Facebook, Linkedin and I read newspapers on line. I even have a webpage www.remartinandassociates.com The computer is work maybe?

I can not bring my computer into the bathroom and I will not touch your phone because I have seen too many men answering emails at the urinal. The iPhone never washes after bathroom.

My man cave has a radio and a TV, but no computer. I see them on pictures of fly tying areas and I think..........nope.

I like printed pictures more that on the computer. There is something about the tangible nature of fishing books and catalogs. Maybe it was growing up with the sears Roebuck Christmas catalog or the Montgomery wards Christmas catalog.

I don't get the same feeling from going online to the store. I order online.

FishingBobNelson is my message nostalgic or did I just join your old fart club? LOL

If your heart flutters over the mention of a Herter's Catalog; you are definitely in the Old Fart's Club. Welcome, now if you own a Pflueger model 1492 fly reel, made in the U.S.A., you can run for office. I wonder how much Jungle Cock Capes were in that catalog?