Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Feather Emporium; Honest?? Anybody Using Them?

They are not seconds. I used to buy from Whiting as a commercial tyer. I also bought saddles to dye and sell for use in flatwings(it was before they started selling their own) . ALL the capes and saddles I received had NO packaging. It is just one of the ways they sell product.

They are not seconds. I used to buy from Whiting as a commercial tyer. I also bought saddles to dye and sell for use in flatwings(it was before they started selling their own) . ALL the capes and saddles I received had NO packaging. It is just one of the ways they sell product.

As a commercial tyer you wouldn't have paid full retail, nor would Whiting permitted you to resell any capes etc. I paid a lot of money for the "Cree " cape which I received in a plain plastic baggie. It possibly was Whiting, but there wAs now way of telling. All my other Whiting capes came in Whiting packaging that stated the quality etc and were sealed.

Whiting does sell "unpackaged and ungraded" products to retail/dealers. Places like Jims Fly Co, Lakeland Flytying etc all do these. The thing is its up to the retailer to package and grade them etc.
I can only imagine that a company like whiting farms would have tonnes of capes from experimental breeding programs (like the High and Dry capes which are a mix of the dry fly birds and are not graded).

The thing is whiting dont charge any extra for "cree" its up to the seller, so if i see a huge mark-up on a "cree" cape or saddle, then i would not purchase from the retailer.

I'm not convinced that the other 95% are destroyed. Why destroy them just because the color is not "true" cree, I would sell them as variants if the quality is good. I suspect that some of the 95% are sold to FE as seconds, that's why mine arrived in a plastic bag without any Whiting packaging.

Barry (Yes that's really my name)

I think the bad cross bred cree chicks are not even raised. The are sorted and culled. Why waste food and care on a chick that you know will not be a good cree? Hence they are killed = destroyed. Not destroyed after they are raised = that would be a waste. But sorted and culled before they are raised.

I think the bad cross bred cree chicks are not even raised. The are sorted and culled. Why waste food and care on a chick that you know will not be a good cree? Hence they are killed = destroyed. Not destroyed after they are raised = that would be a waste. But sorted and culled before they are raised.

Since all chicks look like this at hatching ....

It's impossible to "cull" them early.

Early is a relative term. I think what Silver is saying is that they don't bring the "chicks" to full maturity before culling them. Thus eliminating the need to feed them to full adult feathering only to have a bunch of crap cree to dispose of and a feed bill that was higher than needed.

I know when I buy from Whiting I have been told if Whiting has been out of a product, but they are currently processing that product, I can have them in a big bag and not wait for Whiting to officially package them. It would take longer to package the pelts, so they could send them to me unpackaged and that is what I got. The pelts were still GRADED BY WHITING, just not in Whiting packaging.

If you got some Whiting products that were not in Whiting packaging, you should have been asked first if this was OK with you before they were sent to you.

This would be important to me.

Since that may not have happened, if your Whiting pelts seem to be the grade you purchased, then I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Whiting doesn't have seconds, they have grades.

Gold, silver, bronze, pro grade, tyers grade, in that order.

Bob

You should've just asked him if you could get the Cree in the packaging. Thats what I did, and I got a Whiting Bronze Cree Neck. It is totally worth the money I paid. Labeled and everything.

So has anyone purchased from Feather Emporium lately? I've purchased from him twice before and received my product. But the lack of communication from him is disturbing.

Two weeks ago I purchased an item I'd been on the fence about. The first time I put the item in the shopping cart it charged me an extra $1.75. I emailed FE about that and he responded that the shopping cart does that sometimes and that he'd refund it. Several months passed and I finally got around to making the purchase. After all those months have passed his cart still contained the error but I proceeded since I had an assurance of a refund. I added a note to that effect in the Notes section of the PayPal payment.

A few days later I received a bill for an additional $2.60, with a note that it is for USPS First Class for orders under $25. What's extra strange (in addition to the assurance the $1.75 overcharge would be refunded) is that his site clearly says that all domestic orders are free shipping, regardless of order size.

So... I emailed him twice about that extra charge but no response.

I'm not posting this to complain but to find out if anyone else is being charged for shipping and if anyone else has had a successful transaction.

I have not said anything until now, but since you asked I will never buy from him again. I made two purchases from him from his discount page. The first purchase went fine. The second purchase was for a black dyed neck. The neck looked good but when I tried to tie anything with it the stems would break. His page says satisfaction guaranteed so I sent it back. I tried for over three weeks to contact him by phone and email with no success. I couldn't leave a voice mail. I cant remember now if it was because he didn't have one set up or it was full. I am pretty sure his voice mail was full. After the three weeks I didn't think I had any other choice so I did a PayPal dispute. PayPal refunded my money so all is well but I never did hear anything from him. He has things on his page that I would like to buy but now I will never buy anything from him again.

I am by no means a hackle expert but I have a little bit of a hackle problem. I have a dozen necks and about 30 or so different partial and full saddles. The stems on all of them are great. No issues.

Just use him this month got my order in 5 days !! I also have used him several other times got my stuff in about 5-7 days

Steve-stabgnid