Fly Tying
flytyingforever

Tenkara - are you tying it?

I never dabbled in it... until yesterday... i tried a basic pattern, and today, a new one... still looks all backwards to my eye, but i like trying new things.

the first effort was rushed, and i was visiting a friend and used gigantic rough thread from the "junk drawer" haha.

the second is slightly finer, i like the pattern, though the execution leaves something to be desired...

IMG_1329_zpsqhwsrxln.jpg

DSC01516_zpshwz494fz.jpg

And here's the kind of thing i'd normally be hacking at on the vice.

IMG_1065_zpse3p4je9j.jpg

I just can't get the "like" button in my head to activate for tenkara flies.

I do like your semi-classic fly, though.

OK, the flies are fine, and the techniques are OK, but they are just a reintroduction of a method of fishing used by our predecessors in the 17th century. In fact the same methods are used today by many people. Its called "cane pole" fishing. I can't see the point in spending all that money for a rod with no guides when I can simply use a fixed line on the rod I have.

it all feels VERY backwards to tie, my brain does not understand it, but i like trying new stuff. it feels like i'm tying with my left hand at times.

i guess it's healthy for my brain to try new things though

While I agree, Tenkara is merely Japanese for "dapping", I do think the patterns can be applied to conventional Western fly fishing. I have yet to research the topic enough to find if there are any real gems worth exporting, however.

There have already been at least two Tenkara swaps on this forum. It is a great method for spring creeks. Since the rods are collapsible and very light, they work well for backpacking or day trips to mountain streams. While not suitable for all fly fishing situations it is a fun alternative. http://www.tenkarausa.com/

I agree with bob Nelson, I will be getting one this summer.

Also, those flies are nice. You make me want to try to tie some. Thanks for posting.

Nice flies, I'm partial to the first set with the tags. My first flies were all reverse hackle tenkara flies, so I can't relate, sorry. Guess I've been thinking backwards from day 1.

If you are looking for more patterns, Jason Klass at http://www.tenkaratalk.com ties some very nice flies. Also my best streams, a Japanese site, has examples of many traditional tenkara flies listed by the location they originated. Http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/amago/b-streams/flytying/tenkara.html

If I was able to hike into those those bubbling cricks full of brookies like I used to up north, I'd be giving it a try. On many of those streams, how often do you fish beyond 30'? A 13' Tenkara with a 13' line and 6' leader will cover almost all of those creeks and the rare brown or bow you might hook can still be handled in limited water. For me pretty much limited to lakes or tailwaters to float it doesn't make a lot of sense today, but wish I'd have had one 30 years ago.

'Course, like utyer said, I guess I did tenkara fishing 60 years ago with that 10' cane pole and the 15' feet of line we spent an hour unwinding, then rewinding around the pole before we tied them to the roof racks. We even used to use indicators back then but we were honest enough to call them bobbers.

A 13' Tenkara with a 13' line and 6' leader will cover almost all of those creeks and the rare brown or bow you might hook can still be handled in limited water.

Unless you've got trees 12' over head, then you can't throw your line out to the full extent. Give me a 5'6" 2 to 4 weight fly rod any day. I can cast under overhangs all day long with that, and have a blast bringing a fish all the way to the net.

Which is the other thing you can't do with tenkara. You have to hand line the fish in ... there's no way to get it to you using the rod.

A 13' Tenkara with a 13' line and 6' leader will cover almost all of those creeks and the rare brown or bow you might hook can still be handled in limited water.

Unless you've got trees 12' over head, then you can't throw your line out to the full extent. Give me a 5'6" 2 to 4 weight fly rod any day. I can cast under overhangs all day long with that, and have a blast bringing a fish all the way to the net.

Which is the other thing you can't do with tenkara. You have to hand line the fish in ... there's no way to get it to you using the rod.

Yes you can bring it to net! Same way you can with a cane pole. With a 13 13 6 setup if you extend your arm and hold the rod around 12

o clock, then the fish will be in net range. The 13 foot rod and line equal out and the length of the leader and your height should even out.

Doesn't work that way, Fisher. The tenkara rods are so flimsy, a 13' rod with 13' of line is more like an 8' rod with 18' of line. Watch any tenkara fishing video ... bringing the fish "to hand or net" is always done by pulling the line in by hand.