Fly Tying
TheCream

How much outrage would this cause?

Curious thought I have had rattling around between the ears since I found my old stash of lure making hardware: why not add a small split ring to the hook eye of some fly patterns? Think about it, most conventional lures that move well in the water have split rings to allow them to more freely move on the end of your line. Crankbaits and topwater lures immediately come to mind. So, why in fly fishing, do we feel the need to loop knot everything? Why not take our articulated streamers, our topwater bass patterns, our water pushing musky flies, and add a small split ring to the hook eye? It would accomplish the same goal of allowing the fly to move freely and allow you to use a stronger knot, like my personal favorite, the Palomar. Obviously that idea won't fly (pun intended) for every fly out there, but mostly for big streamers, bass flies, pike/musky, saltwater patterns, etc...

Any thoughts? Would it cause someone to turn over in their grave?

i dont see anything wrong with your idea of split rings on some of the larger flies.

the purists might

are there split rings small enough?

I use No Knot Fas Snaps... have used them for years. They come in several sizes... probably no good for tiny flies, but I use them on popping bugs and size 6 streamers, etc.

post-52210-0-79009700-1428073436_thumb.jpg

Why not use a non slip loop knot? Wouldn't you get a the same range of motion?

Notice he said it would allow us to use STRONGER KNOTS?

A no slip knot is plenty strong enough, so I do not see the need. And if you can tie a palomar on a fly with a split ring, you can tie a palomar on just the eye of the hook.

We mostly do not use split rings because of the additional unnecessary weight. But if the tier thinks it is necessary, then go for it and who cares what the purists think. I personally am more than happy enough with the loop knot...when I bother to actually tie it that is.

A no slip knot is plenty strong enough, so I do not see the need. And if you can tie a palomar on a fly with a split ring, you can tie a palomar on just the eye of the hook.

We mostly do not use split rings because of the additional unnecessary weight. But if the tier thinks it is necessary, then go for it and who cares what the purists think. I personally am more than happy enough with the loop knot...when I bother to actually tie it that is.

Of course you can, directly to the hook would restrict movement and to a split ring would allow it.

One benefit of the Fas Snaps is that it allows me to change bugs quickly and easily.

My question would be if Game Management folks would then consider it a lure on "Fly Water"?

I have a few patterns with "00" blades on them. Had a Game Office tell me it was a lure in his opinion.

Rick

look thru the database and you'll see the line between "fly" and "lure" is fuzzy. I can't imagine the use of a fas snap or some other clasp between the fly and the leader would make it become a non-fly. Certainly if they don't consider some of those flies with wobble lips, spinner blades etc. or fly bodies made out of epoxy shaped like a fish to be non-flies. Who knows... maybe they would. In Florida we don't have "fly water"

Knot a bad idea (pun intended). If you think about, with any mono except very heavy that we seldom use on fly lines even the loop knots I use often collapse into a tight loop that probably doesn't allow much more movement than a tight knot. The split ring would allow a much freer movement than a collapsed loop knot. I have just tied a few streamers with a wobbling lip including a couple of articulating ones. Might put a split ring on one and compare them to see how they look in the water.

It seems like a good idea, especially for fresh water where you may be using light leader with no tippet. Since I fish the salt, I always have at least a 20-30 lb tippet and the loop knots hold up perfectly fine so I would have no need of the extra hardware. However, if fishing a leader that terminates in 10-12 lb with no tippet, then a loop knot is not nearly as strong and the ring would probably be a great thing to use

I'll add my two cents to this. Here in Maine it is clearly defined as two what constitutes a Fly and Fly Fishing waters.

Fly (Artificial Fly):

A single-pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair, thread, tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional hook, spinner, spoon or similar device is added.

Fly Fishing:

Casting upon water and retrieving in a manner in which the weight of the fly line propels the fly. No more than 3 unbaited artificial flies individually attached to a line may be used. (12654-A) (NOTE: It is unlawful to troll a fly in waters restricted to fly fishing only.) (12658)

Now that being said, I do not know what the laws are in other States. However, I am quite sure that there would a ration if $#@^ you would take from the Game Warden for adding a split ring to a fly on Fishing Only waters. The Fly Fishing Only Waters I know of and have fished are on brookie and salmon waters. I do not see the need to have a split ring on my flies in these waters. Now I will add just a bit more. I can differently see the advantage of this on bass and pike waters or trolling flies. Although I am curious as to the effect a ring would have on a trolling fly.

Just my thoughts.

Michael