Fly Tying
grassonfly

Problems with fly reels

I am in the process of designing a new fly reel with a unique drag system and I would like everyone's input on what they would like to change about the current design of fly reels. Would you prefer to fish a reel with a multiplying gear ratio?

The biggest complaint I have is were the drag know is located. I have to switch hands in order to tighting it. It would be great to have drag adjustment on the handle side of the reel.

Make the handle, drag adjustment, EVERYTHING to shed line (rounded). It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's always at the wrong time.

Incorporate a small plastic slit (like what is on my tippet spool) to hold the end of the leader/tippet so ir doesn't,t get lost and tangled in the rest of the line when in storage.

I am in the process of designing a new fly reel with a unique drag system and I would like everyone's input on what they would like to change about the current design of fly reels. Would you prefer to fish a reel with a multiplying gear ratio?

no. one of the beauties of a fly reel is it's simplicity of functional design.

The biggest complaint I have is were the drag know is located. I have to switch hands in order to tighting it. It would be great to have drag adjustment on the handle side of the reel.

already been done i think.

Incorporate a small plastic slit (like what is on my tippet spool) to hold the end of the leader/tippet so ir doesn't,t get lost and tangled in the rest of the line when in storage.

better yet, look at the link (product) offered by singletrack (in the post above yours).

http://leafequipment.com/

I can see an advantage to a multiplier system for those that play fish off the reel. However, the ones in the past have been superseded by "large arbour" reels. I simply don't know. On one hand there is an advantage in retrieving line quickly. On the other there is something else to go wrong.

Something I have begun to question is the position we place the reel onto the rod. The reel foot always being attached to the circumference of the reel. I wonder if placing the reel foot on the centre of the back plate so the reel is flat against the rod may be an advantage. It would certainly be a different look.

Something I consider important on a reel is somewhere to clip your tippet. Most people tackle up at their car before walking to the water. If they have to tie a fly on at that point, in order to control the end of their tippet, that fly is, at best, a guess. If you arrive at the water and see a fish rise, that fly is getting thrown at that fish. It may be right it may be wrong, but what angler has the discipline to stop and look at what is hatching etc? Few if any. So something to hold the tippet end is good. Arriving at the water with no fly attached gives you pause to consider what you should use. The best thing I have come across for this is a small undercut in the counterweight with two rubber grommets in it. Just slip your tippet between these and it is held.

It will be interesting to see the finished design. Don't take too much notice of others. Do your own thing. Remember the camel was the result of a committee designing a horse.

Cheers,

C.

[snip]Would you prefer to fish a reel with a multiplying gear ratio?

In a word, no. Only really useful in salt (pun unintended). Perfect reel would be light, durable, have a maintanence free drag, salt-water safe, and be inexpensive. Unlikely you will be able to meet all these criteria.

The drag components will be made on a CNC lathe. The frame will most likely be made on a mill. I have no decided whether OE not to make the spool on a lathe or CNC lathe. Once I figure out the exact tolerances I will be able to determine whether or not I can have some sort of plexiglass drag housing.

unless you are reinventing the wheel, multiplier reels exist/existed

multiplier = more moving parts = more breaking parts

sorry, not for me

plexiglass drag housing?

one advantage of having the drag adjustment knob or whatever you call it on the opposite of the reel is to keep your fingers out of the way of a spinning reel handle. I'd rather palm the spool to slow it down than to reach inside a spinning handle. I don't see that as an inconvenience at all

theres something called a hook keeper on your fly rod to hold the hook when you break own the rod for storage? that's its purpose isn't it?

I used to like drag on reels, but now prefer click pawl reels. I've played a few fish on the rell, but do not with most fish I catch, which are smallish. No multiplier reels for me, although I guess they are helpful in salt water. My better reels are clickers.

Not to be negative, but I am going to be, there are so many companies making quality reels today of every size, color, style and weight it will be hard to make any changes that will make you preferable to the multitude of others on the market. Reversible wind...got it. Click drag adjustment...got it. Enclosed drag and bearings for salt water...got it. Quick change spools...got it. Palming spool...got it.

Just like rods, reels can be had in about any price range you want them. If you're trying for the low cost market, it's well covered. If there was any market that I might find interesting it would be the custom reel market, of which I don't...got it. I am going to list SOME of my reels, not to brag but to show you what a person willing to spend some money can do today. I like Classics so I have three Hardy Perfects, a Bougle, a Cascapedia, and a Golden Princess.. I have Ser. #13 of a custom built run of 25 titanium reels. I had a Lord Ripon Orvis with drag built into the reel so as to be controlled by handle pressure. Lighten or release pressure as you play a fish.

I have 4 bamboo rods and 1 graphite rod that were built directly to my requests while working with builder. I have never been able to do this with a reel manufacturer. I would like to be able to do that. Personalize the reel. Pick among options. I would like a reel foot design like the models (can't remember name right now) that had the reel foot extended so reel could be mounted further back on seat for better balance. Had one and made mistake of selling it for half of what they get on market now.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if there's a market to draw myself and my overspending friends in on it would be a custom quality reel individualized to the person ordering. So whatever direction you take I wish you the best of luck in a crowded markplace with limited clientele.

For big salt water fish, antireverse direct drive reel like the Seamaster but at an affordable cost. Spinning reel handles have brokren fingers.

A reel drag with a true zero start up inertia.

The only multiplier I have ever owned was an older Hardy Marquis and it was designed for Atlantic salmon fishing. I used it on good size Coho, Chinooks, and steelhead for a while but did not like it at all.

The reel was heavy due to the larger gearing. The brake was jittery and had a hard time overcoming inertia on the initial hot surge of a big fish -- thus was useless for lighter tippets.

It had some collector value but I was glad to swap it for a far more useful and reliable modern reel with a smooth drag and w/o the multiplier feature. (The chief multiplier benefit was in recovering line fast when a bigger fish swapped ends and came racing back at or past you. The large arbors do this work almost as well.)

Now if they ever introduce bonefish locally .....

Rocco