Fly Tying
grassonfly

Problems with fly reels

Something I have begun to question is the position we place the reel onto the rod. The reel foot always being attached to the circumference of the reel. I wonder if placing the reel foot on the centre of the back plate so the reel is flat against the rod may be an advantage. It would certainly be a different look.

as Vicrider already said, it's been done. Many of the older "automatic" fly reels were mounted flat, with the reel foot on the axis of the spindle. I cannot see how a single-action (or multiplying) reel mounted in that way would be any advantage.

Unless we're talking big-game, blue-water reels I do not see any attraction to multipliers or locomotive-brake drag parts.

For 99% of fly fishing, including salt water, steelhead in rivers, salmon, and everything, fly reel drags which can slow down a semi truck are pure hype.

Any "high end" product will sell if it is marketed correctly, but not to normal people.

no, my blood type is not B Negative, but I do live in the real world.

I don't know if I'd have the money to pay for it, but I do think a planetary gear multiplier would be neat, and compact. Since I don't use the reel to fight fish, getting line in to switch rods is my only reason to need a multiplier. I have several automatic reels on now, to do just that. A lighter, fast reel would interest me.

My original design does not feature a multiplying gear. I was just curious what the interest was for it. What makes this reel unique is its hydraulic drag. I will make a post if I can actually get this up and running.

I am in the process of designing a new fly reel with a unique drag system and I would like everyone's input on what they would like to change about the current design of fly reels. Would you prefer to fish a reel with a multiplying gear ratio?

no. one of the beauties of a fly reel is it's simplicity of functional design.

The biggest complaint I have is were the drag know is located. I have to switch hands in order to tighting it. It would be great to have drag adjustment on the handle side of the reel.

already been done i think.

Incorporate a small plastic slit (like what is on my tippet spool) to hold the end of the leader/tippet so ir doesn't,t get lost and tangled in the rest of the line when in storage.

better yet, look at the link (product) offered by singletrack (in the post above yours).

http://leafequipment.com/

what a cool piece of gear !!!!

Afraid it had already been done, STH/Courtland did one in the 90's. Same drag system that is used on Rotary Hydraulic (Aircraft) Arrestor Gear (RHAG). An impeller in a chamber filled with oil. But much smaller than the one on a RHAG. Well no fish hits the reel at 220 knots, like an aircraft being arrested. The STH/Cortland Turbine Reel

dm-tworeels1.jpg

There are some notes here (scroll down) on this reel.

I've done a quick Google search for it and it seems it is no longer available. That might tell you something.

As drag systems go this is unusual as the amount of drag is proportional to the speed of the spool. There can be no adjustment. However, I doubt, and the graph in the write up, bears this out, that it will do anything to protect light tippets. Usually there is some slack in the system between drag and fish. This drag will let a fish build up some speed before hitting the drag. A pilot once described being arrested on landing as like driving a car into a concrete block at 30 mph.(A RHAG will bring an aircraft to a halt from 220 knots in 600 feet). Now the one on the reel is microscopic by comparison, the RHAG impeller being 6 feet across, but operates in exactly the same way. If the fish hits it at speed it will immediately encounter drag proportional to its speed.

The lack of adjustment can be both a boon and a problem. The turbine will adjust to speed by itself, more smoothly than you can adjust a disc drag, but you can't be any gentler to protect your light tippet.

Interestingly there is a different braking system used on the Gulf and Western arrestor system (BAK 12 & BAK 14) using a multi plate disc break. A stack of discs alternately splined into drum and shaft and pressed together using hydraulic pressure generated by the rotation of the drum. That hydraulic system would be far too complex to incorporate into a reel. The multi disc breaking system with an adjustment knob has also been used in a fly reel.

Just goes to show, there's nowt new under t' sun.

Cheers,

C.

I purchased a titanium reel that is absolutely beautiful. I picked Ser.#13 as it is my birthday. The entire run of 25 was sold out at $1400 a pop before anything but the prototype was finished. It has an adjustable drag which is a bearing system pushing directly into the internal gear and makes the click equal in either direction. You order left or right retrieve and it determines the placement of the Hardy type polished agate line guide. Only thing is, whether you order left or right retrieve the drag is identical in either direction as you adjust it. So for the beauty of the reel and unbelievable finish of the titanium, it means the more drag you put on going out is more drag you must overcome with line coming in.

Keep this in mind with any drag system you work with. Increasing drag in one direction should not adversely effect the pressure needed to reel in.

I think there would be a market for something like the Pflueger Medalists. Just like it!

I believe Silvercreek hit the nail on the head. A great drag, easily serviceable, Robust enough to handle strong and fast fish. Cheap enough to manufacture in multiple sizes to handle lots of backing and big lines and maybe down to size 5 or 6 lines. Cheap enough that the working man doesn't need to beg his wife for enough money to buy one. The one I ended up buying to handle everything I am likely to fish for and it cost me well over $300. Too much for a reel I am likely to need just a few times a year if I am lucky. I believe it is Lamson that has a new reel that almost fills this need.

I do love my medalists though but it is too bad the version that has the exposed spool rim is way too heavy for most folks. If they weren't so heavy I would buy a herd of them tomorrow.

Cheap enough that the working man doesn't need to beg his wife for enough money to buy one. The one I ended up buying to handle everything I am likely to fish for and it cost me well over $300.

Ditz, I might be reading this wrong ... but a reel that is over $300 is NOT inexpensive in my life. I get my reels from BPS for less than $50. So far, I've not been disappointed with them.

I agree with Mike (tho I know we'll lose this debate). For the kind of fishing I do, all the reel has to be is something to store my line on when I'm not casting it. I can live without a drag... never seen a bluegill yet that caused me to need it. As has been pointed out before, there are plenty of very good reels for saltwater fishing, or salmon/pike/etc., where large arbors and good drags are needed. But there are lots of potential entry level fly fishers that get discouraged the first time they walk into a tackle shop and see those $300 reels and $500 rods. I still believe there is a need for good quality entry level gear that we can all embrace for starters, but that aren't made of money.

I just wish I could get into more fish that would get into my backing. I don't live near bonefish and big tarpon and can't afford to travel to those areas. I've only hooked on big redfish of about 42" and it did put the drag on my Nautilus to the test. But hey, I say go for it if you've got the knowledge, equip. and desire to build a new reel. If you need a field tester I'm available. Give me an excuse to fish more too.

Sorry if I left the impression that $300 reels are cheap. It definitely was not my intent. I personally would rather not spend over $30 for a reel and most of my reels were under that amount. I think the only 2 reels that I own that were over that were both for the salt. Even my carp reels were less than that amount. My first medalists were about $15 but that was a few years ago and they were then made in Akron O... That was my point that was not well made. I think that a good strong reel and drag should be available for less than $100. 45 years ago I wanted a good salt reel and Orvis sold the old Fin-nor for around $400 which was almost a working mans net monthly salary so I never owned one. I would still like to own one but the reel that I bought for $300 is probably just as good or maybe better than that reel. I would like to have another decent salt reel and if I had any real need it would be the new Lamson that is sold for just over $100. My $300 reel has not yet seen the salt so I am in no real need at this point. ....For sweet water I see little need for any drag at all unless one is chasing Salmon, Steelhead, or Carp. Even then an exposed spool rim should work well. In the past many, many salmon and steelhead and even some of the strong and fast salty's have been caught on the old reliable Medalist. $15 back then. I don't buy $300 plus rods either. FlaFly is exactly correct. There is a need for moderately priced good fly gear for the begginners and us frugal fly fishers. As a group we seem to be brain washed to believe that $400 reels and $800 rods are a must for fly fishing and we as a group are propagating the idea. So sad IMO

My wife gets on my case when I see something I like and won't buy it because I think it is too expensive and won't buy it. I can but I think it is not worth that price to me. Many would call me frugal. I say I am cheap

There are plenty of affordable options, <$200, for beginner anglers out there. One would be the orvis encounter for $170. Usually orvis is absurdly over priced but this outfit is definitely worth the money. I have the Lamson Liquid reels and they are fantastic. I was talking with a sales rep and he used the 3.5 size for catching bonefish in the Bahamas. Lamson has pretty well the best drag system available and it is in every reel, they just get a little larger as you step up into the more expensive reels