Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackaig

Peacock - Now endangered

I'm not sure I appreciate why "crappy herls" are just fine if you're using them to build up a body. I mentioned several months ago that there are feather dusters made of peacock plumes readily available. When I found some, I sorted through to find the ones in best shape and bought them. More than I'll ever need in a lifetime. One is dark, brown and black, and the other very light grey (not white). I don't tie salmon flies or anything where I need to use them as wings or tails, so I'm fine with what I got.

I can see an issue if a bird/animal becomes nearly "extinct" in one country but not even close in others, if that country can declare them endangered, resulting in chaos in the world's fly industry. It would be like, say, Canada declaring grey squirrels to be endangered.

Those are most likely ostrich.

I use a pile of peacock here, better go hoard some good stuff.

$20 buys one a pile at all lengths.

I wouldn't start hoarding peacock herl just yet.

As I understand it, only the green peafowl (Pavo muticus) is endangered. The Indian/"blue" peafowl (Pavo cristatus) are the ones you see here in the States, and are doing just fine.

Good thing I bought the HUGE vase full of tails at the goodwill this summer, 50 tail feathers with big beautiful eyes and long hurl. Too bad they are getting exterminated from their natural habitat...seems like there is a lot of that going around.

http://cites.org/sites/default/files/notif/E-Notif-2014-014.pdf

M A, the CITES lists Pavo cristatus as appendix III at the request of Pakistan. This would appear to mean that only feathers exported from Pakistan are subject to any restrictions UNDER CITES. CITES is a giant pile of manure, which was created with good intentions and then the UN made it so no one can fully understand it. SO, whenever anyone hears anything about a species being "listed" in any way by CITES, they just get scared and go into shutdown-mode. I am by no means an expert on it, but I have researched it quite a bit and CITES is a huge mess. Although "listing" in a CITES appendix does not automatically mean ANYTHING other than extra bureaucratic mounds of paperwork, the notion of something being listed will cause all sorts of rumors, misunderstandings, and turmoil in any market associated with it.

If you suffer from insomnia, start reading about CITES.

Peafowl are NOT "getting exterminated" from their natural habitat. The whole "endangered species" thing CAN get ridiculous in the extreme. In the US, states can also "list" native species in their own regulations. Often, the "natural habitat" of a species within a state is tiny, and on a border. In other words, the natural range of a species just barely enters the state, while to the south (or north, east, or west) the range extends over a vast area and the animals are common.... so the state lists it and creates the illusion that the species is in some sort of danger, although it never was.

i will worry about it when it becomes a real situation and not a rumor smile.png

much ado about nothing

The situation is that real that next week the top guy from Turrels is having to go to the States to try to sort out the import problems he is having. You don't arrange a trip on short notice like that for rumours. As I said in my original post his flies are being turned back by US customs.

Cheers,

C.

I am not the least bit worried about the supply of feathers in the US. The peacock I buy is not imported and so there is no customs problem. There is an ample supply from domestic sources. I would be more worried about panic hoarding, like what has happened with .22 ammunition. Please don't overreact.

My aunt had a peacock named Fernando. Fernando met a Volkswagen one day. Fernando died. Fernando lives on in my basement. I won't need peacock for a LONG time. Thank you Fernando.

My aunt had a peacock named Fernando. Fernando met a Volkswagen one day. Fernando died. Fernando lives on in my basement. I won't need peacock for a LONG time. Thank you Fernando.

My brothers and I are laughing hysterically! XD

The situation is that real that next week the top guy from Turrels is having to go to the States to try to sort out the import problems he is having. You don't arrange a trip on short notice like that for rumours. As I said in my original post his flies are being turned back by US customs.

Cheers,

C.

So what's a "Turrels" and why is this significant? Unless we get our peacock herl from India, which I seriously doubt considering the number of birds we have domestically, India's ban is not going to affect the price here unless there is a panic, and even then one wonders if there are enough fly tiers in the US to put a significant dent in the total supply.

Much more likely that this is a case of bureaucratic red tape gone wrong with US Customs. Happens all the time.

P.S. After a bit of research, as far as I can tell, it appears this ban was implemented in 2013, so this is hardly breaking news.

Turrels' fly production makes them one of the big players in retail fly sales I believe about the 3 largest producer.

Cheers,

C.