Fly Tying
bigrbart

Lost Matarelli Whip Finisher

Finally found this thread again! I walked into Bob Marriott's fly fishing store and they have a couple of Matarelli bobbin holders and whip finishers. They also had other no longer made bobbin holders. Just go on their web page n search "Matarelli" n they'll come up if they are still there! Good luck.

Before I read this thread, I always had two whip finishers on my desk that were visually the same except for some very subtle differences. I always had two because I could never find one of them among all the feathers and assorted other things on there. It's amazing how easily they can hide. One of them always worked better than the other for some reason I could not quite discover. I would only use the not so good one when I just couldn't find the better one.

This evening I went and checked and guess what. The one that always worked better was the Matarelli. I didn't even know one was a Matarelli until I read this thread and knew to check for the initials on the flats.

I went through my box of extra tools that I have picked up along the way and it turns out I have two FM's and six of the copies. All the copies are different than the FM's in little ways. I also have two of the safety pin kind that I have never used. They look more complicated.

In the morning I'll take pictures of them and post them here.

I may also have some of his bobbin holders though I'm not sure how to know.

matarelli_midge.gifMark, stamped on the flats of the "balls" an F M , the balls might be stepped as in this photo.

I took a close look at my FM style whip finishers and here's what I found.

DSCF3261-XL.jpg

The two on the right are original Matarellis, the ones that work best for me.

DSCF3262-XL.jpg

The Matarellis

DSCF3263-XL.jpg

The three on the left all have hook ends that are bent too far. This makes the finisher difficult to disengage from the thread.

DSCF3264-X2.jpg

Two of these in the middle and one in the last picture had ends that didn't come completely to a point. One had burrs on the end and they weren't polished as nicely as the FMs. All these factors make tying a little more difficult.

Subtle differences in the bends seem to make more of a difference than you'd think they would.

Out of all the bobbin holders I have, maybe 15 plus, only one is a FM. I cant say it's the best one but it works fine. Some of my others have beads in the ends of the tubes, a porcelain or ceramic tube or nicely flared and rounded tube ends. I like these the most.

I don't think I have any more FM products but I'm going to watch for them in the future. It's nice to have and use some of this historical stuff.

Mark do you have a Whip Finish fetish ? If you do I don't want to hear the particulars.

Mogup, no I don't, but I'm laughing about it. I inherited a bunch of stuff from a friend that used to teach fly tying. I also recently just picked up a few more from an estate.

Frank Matarelli passed away on August 17, 2018 at the age of 102:

http://www.halstedngray.com/obituary/Frank-W.-Matarelli/San-Francisco-California/1810526

This is a photo of some of his flies and tools that my son took last December at The Golden Gate Casting Club:

4VIR2bg.jpg

PT/TB

Thanks for posting. I love learning about the origins of our hobby and the people who made it what has become and its continuing evolution.

I have lots of Frank's tools he gave them to me and my dad we met him on the Yellowstone at Buffalo ford many years ago he was a very nice man the best he loved me told me I was the best Flyfisherman he ever saw he asked  me to stay and fish with him but we had to go home was end of our trip dad had to get back it work 

He gave us wipfinishers and some bobbons over the years he sent us lots of other tools for our flyting classes we did for trout unlimited hear in berkshire trout unlimited in mass.

It was a privilege to know the man he was a very generis  guy and his wife and son

U remember he sounded  just like Lawrence Welk.😁👍

Edited by mikechell
Inappropriate information

Sorry Tim.  Welcome to the site, but you are not allowed to sell items here before 40 posts.  I edited your post above, to remove the offer.

I have a couple of Matarelli's (extended and standard) but don't use them much any more.  I've become proficient enough over the years to tie and hand whip knot on most flies.  I also found that the cheaper knock-offs worked just as well once you smooth them up on the curved end.

I joined the Long Beach flycasting club about 8-9 years old I’m 61 now.

I bought one of his whip  finishers the day I joined the club for for I don’t know what a couple dollars.

never could get used to it I gave it away.

Still use my fingers to this day

21 hours ago, Tim Billings said:

Ok I don't need to sell anything on here just thought someone might like some of Frank's tools He gave me good bye.!

You must have great memories. You sound a little upset. You shouldn't, those are just the rules and it seems Mike treated you fairly and courteously. You are welcomed back any time.