Fly Tying
bulb

tippet ring when nymphing

When nymphing i always use a tippet ring, since it alows me to tie on a dropper tag in the ring and a second fly if i want. if the dropper gets stuck, i loose the dropper fly and the dropper tag at most. same thing for the anchor fly. The only downside i've noticed with this setup is that the dropper tag tends to wind around the rest of the leader after 10 or so drifts. Thus i make a habit of always checking my setup every ten drifts. Do you guys also use tippet rings when nymphing? For the record i've always nymphed this way so please enlighten me if there is a superior setup! Cheers/ Hugo

I use a tippet ring at the end of the leader. I tie in a section of tippet from the ring and then add another section to that with a double or triple surgeon's knot. At the surgeon's knot is where I place my dropper using the lower tag end of the knot for the dropper. Since the tag comes off the knot almost parallel to the line I get some twist but not to the degree that I have to unwind anything after a few drifts. I think that even if there is a slight twist that when the line gets back in the water it works itself out.

What is the tippet size and brand you are using for the dropper? I use Rio Fluoroflex Plus in 4x and 5x.

I just started using the Blood Knot dropper. I am not having an issue with entanglement as the dropper tag comes out at 90* to the main line.

Link: Blood knot dropper

There are a couple ways to do it, but this is a good video. I know a guy that ties the knot pretty big and cuts one end at the knot itself leaving 6-8" and attaches a fly or more tippet to that.

When I use rings I step up my leader dia so it stands out more and reduces the twisting together you've found. If you're worried about wary fish then fluro is an option as this will be stiffer normally for same dia than mono.

I find maxima works fine for me in 6lb and 8lb.

I don't use tippet rings because I don't trust them with thin tippet (it always seems to eventually end up in that notch where it's prone to breaking) and I don't trust that with a big fish on the line, and i prefer the slim profile of a uni-to-uni knot that slides though the top guide nicely.

I use a tippet ring at the end of the leader. I tie in a section of tippet from the ring and then add another section to that with a double or triple surgeon's knot. At the surgeon's knot is where I place my dropper using the lower tag end of the knot for the dropper. Since the tag comes off the knot almost parallel to the line I get some twist but not to the degree that I have to unwind anything after a few drifts. I think that even if there is a slight twist that when the line gets back in the water it works itself out.

What is the tippet size and brand you are using for the dropper? I use Rio Fluoroflex Plus in 4x and 5x.

I usually use frog hair 4x fluoro for my dropper tag, ~12 inches. I attach it with a trilene knot since its strong and a bit bulky compared to other knots, which allows the tag to splay out a bit more from the main line.

I thought about using a surgeons knot for a dropper, but honestly i check my flies every other drift anyway to clean the hooks from stuff from the bottom. For next time I'll tie a surgeons knot rig and compare it to a tippet ring rig, just for kicks

No metal rings, I like that blood knot dropper. In the past I just tied off a dropper at the leader or off the hook of the fly. But I'm going I'm going to try that blood knot loop. Looks good for double midges or maybe a Hares Ear and a midge combo (thinking pond fishing ) either of which might get fish in local ponds.

If you want to get the tag in a surgeon's knot to stand at 90º from the line, you can take the tag and make a single overhand knot over the top of the surgeon's knot and it will stand proud. I haven't had any major problems with twisting so I don't have to use the overhand.

To carpflyguy, I don't understand what you mean when you say notch. The "real" tippet rings are a solid doughnut with no seam, unlike the jewelry rings that some try to pass off as tippet rings. Yes the real deal costs about $7/10, while the jewelry rings go for about $5/200. The real rings can be had as small as 1.6mm (.062") in titanium and you can't break or bend them before breaking 0x tippet.

I have for the last couple of years also been using a tippet ring for dry fly fishing, using the ring to attach the tippet section to the leader. The tiny rings do not break the surface tension of the water thus float on the surface like the dry fly. The major advantage to using a ring is when re-tying a tippet section, you never cut back on your leader tying the knot, making the leader section last almost indefinitely.

I don't use tippet rings because I don't trust them with thin tippet (it always seems to eventually end up in that notch where it's prone to breaking) and I don't trust that with a big fish on the line, and i prefer the slim profile of a uni-to-uni knot that slides though the top guide nicely.

As others have said, real tippet rings are NOT split rings that can pull apart. They are solid all around with the "notch" welded so they are seamless.

I don't use a ring. I tie the first section of flourocarbon tippet to the leader with a double surgeon. I use Fisherman's loop knot to tie on the flies. I use an improved Davy knot to tie on any additional tippet. I never tie anything to the bend of the hook. I always tie just in front of the loop knot of the previous fly. If lead shot is used, it's tippet is the lightest and tied in last, at the bottom, with most any knot in the tippet to keep the shot from sliding off.

It's a very tangle-free setup.

I just started using the Blood Knot dropper. I am not having an issue with entanglement as the dropper tag comes out at 90* to the main line.

Link: Blood knot dropper

There are a couple ways to do it, but this is a good video. I know a guy that ties the knot pretty big and cuts one end at the knot itself leaving 6-8" and attaches a fly or more tippet to that.

That is just a dropper loop and it works fine but I would not call it a blood knot dropper. To me a blood knot dropper is when you tie a blood knot and leave one tag end long.