Fly Tying

I remember opening day in New York- first Saturday in April, if I recall. This was 50+ years ago. However, Tennessee has no season, only specific regulations for certain streams, lakes and rivers. I use a black or white wooly bugger, brown hackle peacock, or elk hair caddis just about all year. Our local flies and recipes are found on our TU website, www.hiwassee.net. Click on "plan a trip."

New York has been April 1st skeet3t for over 60 years. At the Junction Pool in Roscoe, NY opening day took on a media and fishermen circus atmosphere some years. If you were lucky you got to see Joan or Lee Wulf or Harry or Elsie Darbee or Winnie or Walt Dette or Poul Jorgensen throw the first cast. Every TV station from NYC was there. Most years the snow and ice prevented any real fishing but people were there anyways.

I recall seeing pictures of opening day in NY and NJ with people standing should to shoulder around a pool, waiting for a trout to make a choice of what bait to inhale. We went to the Ten Mile Scout camp with a fellow my father worked with and fished there. Ice was still on the edges of some of the pools. But...........it beat staying at home! BTW, lived in Elmhurst, Queens, 1962-1965.

Skeet3t did you know anyone at Ten Mile? My cousin Ed Morse (tall former Marine) was the camp caretaker about then.

I am doing a little black stonefly size 12. It has always been an early favorite. Only 11 more to go...........

post-3361-0-22831600-1455733086_thumb.jpeg

Never met any of the camp staff. When we were there, I don't recall anyone but the five of us there.

I spent a few years stuck in the dep't. that issued oversize/overweight trucker permits in MN. They were not believe it and often got a little pissed when all OS truck permits were shut down in MN opening day of fishing north of MNPLS/StPaul. Same thing in WI for the deer opener. I used to love to work on opener and sit down by the fence on HWY 61 and watch the parade of beautiful rigs of all costs and colors roll by to chase the cold water walleyes hoping the ice was off their secret spot so they didn't have to join the horde on the small hotspots on the major lakes.

Personally I never got very excited about walleye/northern opener since there were still usually still steelhead in the rivers and the crowds were way down.

I'll have to get my butt in gear and get a couple of swaps I've got ready into the mail tomorrow if things go well.