Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Road Food

For road food usually a stop at McDonalds for 2 mcdoubles and a coke. Or if stopping at a gas station, pepperoni roll and a Little Debbie Peanutbutter Cream Pie.

I was once camped on the Manistee for the Hex hatch with a buddy, and we invited a second buddy to join us for an evening of fishing. During the Hex, "an evening of fishing" entails many more hours of sitting around BS-ing and waiting for the bugs than actual fishing, so buddy #2 offered to bring some snacks, seeing as we were showing him our super-secret spot and all. Mind you, this spot was WAY back in the whoop-whoop, definitely 4WD country, no real road, with the last few hundred yards being basically a swamp, so we expected him to maybe show up with a six-pack and a bag of chips. Imagine our surprise when he came picking his way through the ankle-deep mud and clouds of mosquitoes--in waders--bearing shrimp cocktails, fancy smelly cheese, homemade bread and two bottles of high-end cabernet--with real wine glasses no less. As I recall, the fishing sucked and we didn't much care. :)

LOL, Bryon. I know this is a thread about fishing snacks, but I thought this might be apropos.

I was just thinking of a camping trip I went on a couple of decades ago. We expected to catch some fish for our dinners and suppers ... which was surprisingly optimistic of us, in hindsight. Mind you, we did manage a couple of meals of fish during our 4 days out there ... but everyone was sure glad when I brought out my favorite camp food.

Cans of Spam and packages of dinner rolls. Both keep fairly well for trips of a week or less. Split and toast the rolls, put pieces of Spam on a stick like hot dogs and BAM, great little Spam sliders that are absolutely delicious. We even had a couple of campers who claimed to hate Spam, until they took one bite of grilled Spam on toasted rolls.

Mike, I have to tell you, those Spam sliders sound awesome! Better than those shrimp cocktails, actually. I was all about the bread and cheese--where I come from, shrimp belong in one of two places: swimming in the ocean, or breaded and swimming in hot oil. Good wine, of course, goes with everything.

I'm gearing up for the first spring camping trip, and Spam sliders are now on the menu. Let's see, I'll need Spam, dinner rolls, and oh yeah--spring. :)

Glad to share my recipe. I gotta warn you, though ... they are addictive. Spam taste fantastic done over an open fire.

My father was a big fan of Spam, but to me when you try to sub it in for a decent ham steak baked with mustard sauce or with pineapple rings and raisin sauce, that's the limit LOL ! No ! I did not follow in his footsteps in that regard. But ya know what ? I can see your situation Mike, where Spam would be a hit even with me. And cooked in the open, living in the open, etc. might change Spam all up. Heck it might even be good in the morning with eggs in place of Hormel Hash in those circumstances !

Had a fly fishing friend who loved Spam out of the can with sliced Velveeta cheese slapped between two slices of Betty Lou white bread. Most disgusting thing I ever saw.

Had a fly fishing friend who loved Spam out of the can with sliced Velveeta cheese slapped between two slices of Betty Lou white bread. Most disgusting thing I ever saw.

Ya, it would have to be a pretty special circumstance for me to partake, I must say !

Yesterday at 6:17 PM Dave G. said:

Heck it [spam] might even be good in the morning with eggs in place of Hormel Hash...

Dave, my mom used to pull out the Spam and fry it up to go with our eggs and biscuits for breakfast when we were short of other breakfast meats...it was pretty tasty, as I recall. She was also known to fry up Oscar Meyer bologna and add it to our egg sandwiches from time to time, a treat I still enjoy to this day.

EDIT-Addendum: If you doubt my authority on the fried bologna, see Tom T. Hall's classic song "A Week In a Country Jail" :)

I have been known to have a fried Spam or bolonga sandwich. Through on some tomatoe, lettuce, mayo and maybe a slice of cheese. Yum.

Open faced toasted bologna with cheese, then add the tomato, lettuce a little Italian salad dressing and close it up. Has to be one of two brands though that my wife gets ( I have to eat gluten free so no fillers and preservatives). I've been known to fry bologna and have that with two eggs over medium back in my hay day of eating anything and everything. Still would , it just won't be three slices and three eggs anymore.