Fly Tying
Roland58

Legality of using wild bird feathers

I have used dog hair for nymphs but never used cat hair. Always been tempted to go to Petco, take a plastic bag and stop in the grooming center. Free fur!

Edit: I recall a cartoon. There is a parrot on a perch that is completely stripped of feathers. Next to him is a guy tying flies. No caption was necessary.

I have in my past, I have hit Deer, turkeys, pheasants, rabbits, squirrels, etc. I hate seeing waste, as there are no legal ramifications to possessing road kill I have plucked and skinned many a critter. with that being said, if you can handel the weird looks by passer bys, and you arent breaking the law, I say waste not want not. But to be sure check with local authorities.

Along the lines of whats being asked here, my neighbors have a parrot of some sort so I was going to ask for any of the feather that fall out.   But it sounds like it just better to buy them.  

Now I do reach under my desk for "dog hair dubbing" on occasion.  That seems to be abundant in my house.

Duck,Goose,Swan,Coots are ok to possess feathers from as long as the feathers were gifted and not purchased. The Mallard flanks and wings as well as Wood Duck flanks that are sold commercially are pen raised birds and migratory rules don't apply. Same thing with Turkey feathers. If for some odd reason a Game Warden was in your house looking at your tying bench, I seriously doubt you would have any issues possessing a hawk or an eagle feather..a whole skinned out Hawk or Eagle, yea, big trouble

1 hour ago, Danger Mouse said:

Along the lines of whats being asked here, my neighbors have a parrot of some sort so I was going to ask for any of the feather that fall out.   But it sounds like it just better to buy them.  

Now I do reach under my desk for "dog hair dubbing" on occasion.  That seems to be abundant in my house.

I don't know but I was given some parrot feathers.  I've used them for nymph bodies.  Might have a couple small for soft hackle nymphs

Not legal to pick up roadkill in most states, reason being that any poacher could claim  ''found on road'' and game laws would be unenforceable. Legality never keeps people from doing stuff though, it just means they can be punished if caught.

A lot of times if it's something bigger like a deer, you can contact the game warden and they'll give you a paper ok-ing it.  Fish and game has to remove the carcasses in a lot of areas and it's a lot easier for them to write a tag than it is to come back and pick up the rotting animal in 3 or 4 days when it makes it through the system.

i read you can get a permit in pennsylvania to keep road kill

the state wildlife commision or what ever its called in pennsylvania has the correct answer

2 hours ago, flytire said:

i read you can get a permit in pennsylvania to keep road kill

the state wildlife commision or what ever its called in pennsylvania has the correct answer

You can get a permit to keep road kill, deer at least.  One of my fishing buddies has done it a couple of times.

Speaking of parrot feathers, here's a nymph I tied using one.  

PC050339 (2).JPG

All of my parrot, macaw feathers come from molted birds. most others are purchased, commercially processed more to protect my current stock from the dreaded bugs that can reduce your entire collection to dust. I do keep hair and tails from game to process and dye to my liking. Still must be careful of critters introduced to your stock. 

You say there are no feather police, cross the border into Canada and return after visiting a shop or two. My RV has been inspected and my tying material gone thru to look for illegal material. They where polite but did a decent search.

We feed a lot of birds year round find feathers and the dead bird on occasion I have never used any not worth the effort to pluck or skin and process. 

On 5/25/2020 at 7:03 PM, Danger Mouse said:

Sign in gift shop- Dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.